Monday, July 27, 2009

Esquiver for hire

It's official: I'm looking.

In my experience, difficult change requires two steps, not often co-occurring: both the desire to have things change, and then the burst of white-hot energy, the thruster blast that gets you out of the tired orbit in which you've been hopelessly drifting for years, that lets you do the icky stuff like ask people that you know don't really like you for recommendations (haaaaate asking for recommendations. Would rather go to the dentist.), and take big pay cuts, and see your retirement account disappear, and move a godawful amount of stuff and two cranky cats and one cranky boyfriend god knows where.

It was a really big burst of energy.

I kinda copped out on the first step: I sent my CV to one of the huge locally-headquartered consulting companies that practically exist to gobble up disgruntled wedding singers. (Short shameful confession: I don't really understand what most of them do. But I'm pretty sure I could learn to leverage the synergies of the emerging digital paradigm with the best of them.) I'm also looking at non-big-consulting-company positions in Portland and in London.

Oh, and hey: what do we think of teaching at a private school? I mean, other than the starvation wages? I used to really enjoy teaching college, but wonder whether it's even possible to dispassionately contemplate a little clapboard house in the Berkshires without getting all tangled up in one's latent Hogwarts/Dead Poets Society fantasies. Which I'm sure are not unique to oneself (right?).

But I'm sure I'd like hearing about your hot job tip/lead, too. The "email me" link is to your right.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Italophile said...

Thumbs up. Good luck. And the two people I know who teach at private schools in the northeast/mid-Atlantic region love it. (Or at least they did when I last spoke to them at a college reunion.) That is, I guess, how those schools can continue to charge so much money and pay their teachers so little.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Italophile said...

PS Neither of them was starving although both of them were single at the time.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you're waiting for your dream job, go see "In the Loop."

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Esquiver said...

I did -- quite liked it!

Found the plot point about the leakage of the paper confusing, though. If it was referred to in a meeting in the UK, and available to more than a dozen people in the US, it was already leaked.
Also amused that it was evidently filmed for a US release -- not only does Judy give the finger in an American, not British way, they took pains to (awkwardly) immediately define things like an MP's "surgery." Minor quibbles, though. Good movie, and I look forward to tracking down the TV show it's based on.

10:40 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home