Heresy: I didn't like "Up"
I will grant you, part of this may have been the child in the theater.
Correction: not the child; the child's parents.
I'm not really anti-child; I swear. But I don't go to matinees of what some might erroneously think are children's films (how on earth, I ask you, is "Up" supposed to be a children's film?) because I accept that it is perfectly reasonable to expect lots of child-chatter during those times, and that's not what I want to spend my $13.50 to hear. On the flip side of that, when I go to an evening show, I don't expect the movie to be regularly punctuated by loud -- loud, mind you, not whispered or even normal-voiced -- commentary on why is she crying? Why is he looking sad? What's a snipe? BIRD-ie!
Furthermore, were I to hear these things, it would not be the fault of the child, who is, after all, to be expected to be a child, but that of the parents, who are (erroneously, in this case) expected not to be. And I would fully expect to hear "use your inside voice, sweetie," at least once, or, better yet (dare I dream?), "shhh. People are trying to watch the movie, dear." And if I did not hear these things, I would feel fully justified in exercising a bit of in loco parentis and uttering some version of them myself. What's more, were I to deploy this option, I would certainly not expect an unrelated gent a few seats away to insert himself into the situation by loudly declaring "lighten up -- it's a kids' movie."
Ok. First: it's not a goddamn kids' movie. I mean, not in the aesthetic sense (more on that later) and certainly not in this sense: if I've paid full ticket price -- actually, two ticket prices plus two absurd 3-D surcharges -- it is not to see a movie made for a particular kid in the audience who gets to exercise proprietary rights (barring aforementioned matinee exception, which I think is a perfectly reasonable compromise). It becomes, in effect, my movie.
Second, and closely related: what my buttinsky co-viewer failed with the lovely little weltanschauung he felt entitled to try to ram down my throat is what we like to call the Categorical Imperative test. By all means, let's all exercise the liberties this child is taking! Allow me to loudly narrate: why are there no living female characters in this movie? Why does the boy's mother not notice that he's disappeared for a week? Everybody: join in! Top of your voices, please! (I don't actually put forth this objection in public, due to my incredibly strong suspicion that an appallingly large percentage of the audience would find it perfectly acceptable.)
Subduing our individual appetites and selfish whims when in public, for the sake of interactions that could be agreeably universalized, is one of the most important lessons we learn as human animals and the bedrock of civil society (along with the equally neglected art of distinguishing private from public). I say start 'em young.
And, oh yeah, the movie sucked.
As already stated: not a kids' film in any sense. Any movie that has as a major incidental point that everything you love will inevitably be taken from you is not a movie that kids should see. And I speak as an erstwhile kid who saw too many of them.
Also not, as billed, a comedy. I think the solitary time I cracked a smile was in the way in which the alpha dog was overthrown, and that was more a bit of drollery than an actual joke.
Why could the boy not have been a girl? It'd have made a more resonant circle with the memory of Ellie, and just been an excellent chance to introduce an unusually strong female character, especially to all the children whom parents are insisting on traumatizing. NPR gets it (but reading the comments, especially from men, is depressing).
Why do we accept it as normal and natural that Russell gets his badge pinned on by the old guy? I mean: thank god he was there! Otherwise, who would've done it? The mother?
And think about this: the testosterone obsession in this film is so high, the bird is forced to undergo acts unnatural to all but the seahorse. You can see the filmmakers' problem: the bird has to be male, and is declared so by Russell. But, wait! What possible sympathetic motivation can he then have for needing to remain in South America? After all, we don't want to make a statement about the power of loving fatherhood! So -- haha -- the he-bird is, actually, a she-bird. That's just a bit of humor right? Wrong. Humor (dumb humor, but humor nonetheless) would've come in from repeated iterations of "that bird Kevin, she..." But that's not what we get. We get "that bird Kevin, he...". ...Happens to have given birth, as it turns out. The character is fully male and is treated as such, and stands as a symbol of the lengths and discontinuities to which the filmmakers are willing to go in order not to have estrogen intrude on their little adventure tale.
I say to hell with it, and I say that if you want to go see an engaging piece of animation, check out the adaptation of Etgar Keret's stories, called "9.99." This movie has its own gender problems, but at least it's both charming and provocative and even achieves a kind of lyricism in places. Plus, the cartoon sex should keep the kiddies away -- and, even if doesn't, they'll be less scarred than by Pixar's weepy little sausage-fest of a death meditation.
Correction: not the child; the child's parents.
I'm not really anti-child; I swear. But I don't go to matinees of what some might erroneously think are children's films (how on earth, I ask you, is "Up" supposed to be a children's film?) because I accept that it is perfectly reasonable to expect lots of child-chatter during those times, and that's not what I want to spend my $13.50 to hear. On the flip side of that, when I go to an evening show, I don't expect the movie to be regularly punctuated by loud -- loud, mind you, not whispered or even normal-voiced -- commentary on why is she crying? Why is he looking sad? What's a snipe? BIRD-ie!
Furthermore, were I to hear these things, it would not be the fault of the child, who is, after all, to be expected to be a child, but that of the parents, who are (erroneously, in this case) expected not to be. And I would fully expect to hear "use your inside voice, sweetie," at least once, or, better yet (dare I dream?), "shhh. People are trying to watch the movie, dear." And if I did not hear these things, I would feel fully justified in exercising a bit of in loco parentis and uttering some version of them myself. What's more, were I to deploy this option, I would certainly not expect an unrelated gent a few seats away to insert himself into the situation by loudly declaring "lighten up -- it's a kids' movie."
Ok. First: it's not a goddamn kids' movie. I mean, not in the aesthetic sense (more on that later) and certainly not in this sense: if I've paid full ticket price -- actually, two ticket prices plus two absurd 3-D surcharges -- it is not to see a movie made for a particular kid in the audience who gets to exercise proprietary rights (barring aforementioned matinee exception, which I think is a perfectly reasonable compromise). It becomes, in effect, my movie.
Second, and closely related: what my buttinsky co-viewer failed with the lovely little weltanschauung he felt entitled to try to ram down my throat is what we like to call the Categorical Imperative test. By all means, let's all exercise the liberties this child is taking! Allow me to loudly narrate: why are there no living female characters in this movie? Why does the boy's mother not notice that he's disappeared for a week? Everybody: join in! Top of your voices, please! (I don't actually put forth this objection in public, due to my incredibly strong suspicion that an appallingly large percentage of the audience would find it perfectly acceptable.)
Subduing our individual appetites and selfish whims when in public, for the sake of interactions that could be agreeably universalized, is one of the most important lessons we learn as human animals and the bedrock of civil society (along with the equally neglected art of distinguishing private from public). I say start 'em young.
And, oh yeah, the movie sucked.
As already stated: not a kids' film in any sense. Any movie that has as a major incidental point that everything you love will inevitably be taken from you is not a movie that kids should see. And I speak as an erstwhile kid who saw too many of them.
Also not, as billed, a comedy. I think the solitary time I cracked a smile was in the way in which the alpha dog was overthrown, and that was more a bit of drollery than an actual joke.
Why could the boy not have been a girl? It'd have made a more resonant circle with the memory of Ellie, and just been an excellent chance to introduce an unusually strong female character, especially to all the children whom parents are insisting on traumatizing. NPR gets it (but reading the comments, especially from men, is depressing).
Why do we accept it as normal and natural that Russell gets his badge pinned on by the old guy? I mean: thank god he was there! Otherwise, who would've done it? The mother?
And think about this: the testosterone obsession in this film is so high, the bird is forced to undergo acts unnatural to all but the seahorse. You can see the filmmakers' problem: the bird has to be male, and is declared so by Russell. But, wait! What possible sympathetic motivation can he then have for needing to remain in South America? After all, we don't want to make a statement about the power of loving fatherhood! So -- haha -- the he-bird is, actually, a she-bird. That's just a bit of humor right? Wrong. Humor (dumb humor, but humor nonetheless) would've come in from repeated iterations of "that bird Kevin, she..." But that's not what we get. We get "that bird Kevin, he...". ...Happens to have given birth, as it turns out. The character is fully male and is treated as such, and stands as a symbol of the lengths and discontinuities to which the filmmakers are willing to go in order not to have estrogen intrude on their little adventure tale.
I say to hell with it, and I say that if you want to go see an engaging piece of animation, check out the adaptation of Etgar Keret's stories, called "9.99." This movie has its own gender problems, but at least it's both charming and provocative and even achieves a kind of lyricism in places. Plus, the cartoon sex should keep the kiddies away -- and, even if doesn't, they'll be less scarred than by Pixar's weepy little sausage-fest of a death meditation.
18 Comments:
-
Italophile said...
-
- 7:46 AM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 10:50 AM
-
Bill Abendroth said...
-
- 9:50 PM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 10:36 PM
-
Ryan S said...
-
- 2:44 PM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 6:34 AM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 6:35 AM
-
Bill Abendroth said...
-
- 3:38 PM
-
Ryan S said...
-
- 8:17 PM
-
fedward said...
-
- 9:24 PM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 11:10 PM
-
fedward said...
-
- 12:17 PM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 9:03 PM
-
asg said...
-
- 9:05 PM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 9:54 PM
-
asg said...
-
- 2:09 PM
-
Bill Abendroth said...
-
- 5:35 PM
-
asg said...
-
- 11:29 PM
Post a CommentWe saw "Let the Right One In" at a second-run cinema here yesterday. Paid a fiver. No kids. Do they even have second-run cinemas in the U.S. any more?
Oh, K's been trying to get me to see that one. Recommended? We've also got "I've Loved You So Long" awaiting viewing on Netflix, which I seem to remember you liked.
One of the better second-run cinemas in the area is actually just a short stroll down my street. It's even the kind that sells food and beer, but -- in a brilliant example of how the U.S. tends to eff things up in a way that the UK doesn't -- all shows after 9 PM (that is, the ones that my work schedule would most often let me see) allow smoking.
Wow. You ARE cranky. The only defense I can make for the parents is that I have (in the past) attended movies with small kids. I REALLY tried to get the kid(s) not to narrate and/or question the screen, but sometimes a kid's gonna do what a kid's gonna do.
I have not seen Up, but everyone I know loved it....Still, for $13.50 USD, I'd be furious with anything less than Elle McPherson coming along and holding hands with me.
Also, I am not someone who likes 3D movies, mainly because if you already wear glasses, there is NO WAY to also wear the 3D glasses.
Your review didn't make sense to me, because I have no idea what the movie is about, but your sentence "the bird is forced to undergo acts unnatural to all but the seahorse" REALLY sounds dirty.......
Bill -
Fine. I agree. So matinees for the little ones, evening shows for the grown-ups, and everyone's happy.
On the expository thing, I did consider this very objection and thought about giving more of a plot summary. But then, to be courteous, I'd have had to have slapped a bunch of "WARNING - SPOILERS" labels on everything. And then I'd have had to have added "BUT IT'S REALLY HARD TO SPOIL A MOVIE THAT'S ALREADY PRETTY RANCID," and, well, it just seemed simpler in the end to try to outline my objections without giving anything too major away.
Bill is calling E. cranky? Wow. One's really got to hit the stratosphere of crank to elicit such an observation from Bill A.
"Let the Right One In" is definitely worth seeing, but you can wait til it comes out on DVD (although there is something to be said for the big-screen effect of a horror film). For the record: it is not a traditional horror film. There's blood but not a ton of on-screen violence.
As for "I've Loved You So Long": you're right. I loved it, and Kristin (sp?) Scott-Thomas is AMAZING. I didn't love every second of it, however, but I don't want to say where I didn't love it because I don't want to spoil it for you.
WTF: smoking still allowed in public places? Absolutely disgusting. And I don't care if that makes me a moral relativist: I can't abide smoking, period. Can't Fairfax County leave the Commonwealth behind and enact its own ban?
I am going to change my name to Italophileophile. Smoking is something I categorically refuse to abide, a prejudice that began when as a kid my dad smoked in the car--and then complained when I rolled down my window.
My worst smoking experience in recent memory happened when I was in Las Vegas. Earlier that day, I had ran the Vegas marathon: 26 miles into a continuous 20-30 mph wind, with occasional gusts that were strong enough to blow over portapotties. That night, my eyes from the wind & grit (even behind my glasses) felt like they'd been sandpapered. I was really hating on Vegas anyway (because I hate Vegas), when I felt a new burn--and I felt it before I smelt it. Two tables away, some damn yuppie couple were BOTH smoking cigars. "That's it," I said, "I'm flipping over their table." My friends told me to just shut up, and that I wasn't even a good poser.
We were in one of the "old peoples" bars, with an Irish singer. A 60-something bird ran up to give the singer a tip, and request a song. Her song? The House of the Rising Sun. "That's it!" I said, "I'm all done here. Time to go." I left for my hotel room (no one was sorry to see me go).
And my point is made. . . .
Hating Up because it is insufficiently feminist is like hating a bicycle because it doesn't have the hauling capacity an F-150 has. I disagree with your assertion that Russell would have made a better parallel (excuse me, "resonant circle") with Ellie if he'd been a girl. That aspect of the plot has to be different for Carl's growth to work. Otherwise Russell is just Ellie 2.0 and why bother?
And the Kevin jokes were played for cheap laughs, no more. The character wasn't fully male at all. It was fully bird. You've definitely stretched too far in thinking that Kevin was evidence of a conscious attempt to keep estrogen out of the movie.
Feds -
Nope.
I hated Up because:
- it was an unfunny comedy; and
- I don't care for movies about death and loss; and
- I especially don't care to be suckered into going to see what I think is going to be a comedy only to have it be a movie about death and loss; and
- Pixar made some extremely conservative and callous choices and ought to have someone call BS on them.
Make fun of my language if you must, but it's generally chosen with precision in mind. A "parallel" wasn't needed. Indeed, why reincarnate Ellie? No, I wrote deliberately of resonance. And, in storytelling terms, a spark of remembrance, a mix of old and new, echo and dissimilarity, would've both explained why Carl warmed to the little one and made for a richer emotional mix.
But it was a calculated choice. Look, there's an old canard of research in this area that shows that boys will empathize with male characters (only), while girls will do so with boys and girls. It's not only old research, it's limited research. It doesn't investigate whether the relevant variable is truly gender or simply powerlessness, and it certainly doesn't investigate whether the phenomenon is the cause, or, in fact, result, of media consumption patterns. It is, in short, odious. And it also prompted Pixar's conscious, Neanderthal strategy.
I won't rehash the Kevin point because I really would just be repeating myself. Cheap laughs would've been "Kevin, she...". That's not what they did. Go ask a dozen 10-year-olds whether the bird was a girl or boy.
Also, really do have a look at the NPR link...and the comments. It's poignant, and a little heartbreaking, to see women's gratitude over NPR's calling even just the teeniest bit BS, and the number of men virulently remonstrating...well, essentially, to lighten up; it's a bicycle. (To which, this fish, at least, says: Do Not Want.)
- it was an unfunny comedy; and
- I don't care for movies about death and loss; and
- I especially don't care to be suckered into going to see what I think is going to be a comedy only to have it be a movie about death and loss; and
These count as one selection in my book. Also, I don't know who you think suckered you in, but I certainly hadn't heard of it as a laugh riot. It's a Pixar movie. WALL-E wasn't really a laugh riot either, and Ratatouille got most of its laughs from slapstick and rats while otherwise being just a B-grade film about following your dreams (I didn't see Cars and can't address it).
You hated it because you had the wrong impression of what it was supposed to be?
...a mix of old and new, echo and dissimilarity...
I thought that's exactly what Russell was. I guess on that point we're just going to have to disagree.
As for the NPR link, I read it when it was posted (it helps that I know one of the people who work that desk). I think her argument was different than yours. A movie like Up could have been made with a girl protagonist with bandages on her knees, but it wouldn't have been the same movie.
Russell is a boy with an absent father, which is a pretty clear and common archetype. The badge ceremony isn't bashing on the mom, it's highlighting (again) the absence of Russell's father -- the person Russell most looks up to despite his absence. If you make Russell a girl (let's call her Rusty, shall we?) then you've got to rewrite much of the movie to make the details work (there's the Ellie 2.0 problem, so for "echo and dissimilarity" you have to make Rusty sufficiently unlike Ellie that she's not just making Carl's life flash before his eyes all over again; there's the missing father problem, which for better or for worse is different with girls than it is with boys, so Rusty's missing father is a totally different influence than Russell's is; there would be a whole damsel-in-distress thing going on which Pixar would probably have to choose to play for at least one cheap laugh. Those are just three I can think of without even trying).
I'm not faulting the idea presented in the NPR piece, but I really disagree with the notion that Up sucks because it doesn't appeal to feminists. I don't disagree that Pixar is overdue for a female protagonist, though. The closest they've come is in The Incredibles but the strong female characters in that were still just "supporting" (although the happy ending would have been impossible without them).
You hated it because you had the wrong impression of what it was supposed to be?
No, because it was billed as something it wasn't.
...a mix of old and new, echo and dissimilarity...
I thought that's exactly what Russell was. I guess on that point we're just going to have to disagree.
Echo of what or whom, exactly? Carl? Then -- by the logic you propound below -- gosh, how do we ever manage to distinguish him from Carl? Could it possibly be that with male characters we start from the premise that they're all individuals, but female characters are automatically archetypes and stereotypes? And could that possibly be exactly the phenomenon I'm complaining that Up perpetuates?
As for the NPR link, I read it when it was posted (it helps that I know one of the people who work that desk). I think her argument was different than yours. A movie like Up could have been made with a girl protagonist with bandages on her knees, but it wouldn't have been the same movie.
Yes, it would, and that was the point of the NPR article, no matter when you read it or whether Jacki Lyden was your college roommate or Bob Edwards your best man. Just as Russell was "incidentally" Asian, as was pointed out in their article, he could've been incidentally female. And that's because little girls aren't inherently princesses any more than little boys are, which NPR knows but Pixar doesn't (and because Pixar doesn't, millions more won't).
to rewrite much of the movie to make the details work (there's the Ellie 2.0 problem, so for "echo and dissimilarity" you have to make Rusty sufficiently unlike Ellie that she's not just making Carl's life flash before his eyes all over again;
Hunh? As mentioned above, how is this possibly a problem with regard to Russell/Carl but not Rusty/Ellie? All girls are not the same. They have these things called personalities.
there's the missing father problem, which for better or for worse is different with girls than it is with boys
Prove it.
but I really disagree with the notion that Up sucks because it doesn't appeal to feminists.
[groan] Wow. So very...wrong. Once more, with feeling: Up sucks because, among other reasons, it lacks female characters, which is particularly egregious in a movie aimed (rightly or wrongly) at children and ostensibly about adventure. You are exceedingly unlikely to convince me otherwise.
I don't disagree that Pixar is overdue for a female protagonist, though.
Don't hold your breath. I guarantee there's been a meeting in a Disney conference room that went something like:
SUIT #1: Hey, how about we make the next Pixar movie with a female main character? The ancillaries on everything since "Cars" have been kind of weak, and you know how girls love dolls, right?
SUIT #2: Nah. We have the Disney Princesses. We're unveiling a black one next summer, even. We've got that demo covered. Keep focusing on the boys. It's too bad they don't want to do a "Cars" sequel.
Heh. Oh, also, a private email from our newest reader (hi, Tina!) reminds me that Pixar, per se, is not evil, having made the marvelous Monsters, Inc. And you know what made that movie rock? (1) Puns; (2) main human character --> a girl; and (3) the dictum that children are toxic.
Kidding.
Sorta.
Interestingly, "Up" is the first Pete Docter-directed movie since "Monsters, Inc."
Did you notice that UP was just picked as the top-rated (by popular vote) animated flick on Yahoo?
I did. What's the opposite of "wisdom of crowds"? Not that I share our hostess's view of the movie, but "Up" doesn't crack my top 5 Pixar movies (I feel "The Incredibles", "Monsters Inc", "Ratatouille", and both "Toy Story" movies are better).
<< Home