Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mourn the man, not the moment

Walter Cronkite was amazing, and should be widely celebrated and eulogized. But NPR -- and not only NPR -- speaks longingly of a time when a benevolently paternalistic figure claimed the mantle of objectivity and was the sole necessary source of our news and information -- a time before all this "fragmentation" and "chaos."

I say, embrace the fragmentation and chaos.

I was in J-school when we stood at the cusp of transformation from conventional media to the new. A refugee from cognitive science, I argued loudly and at length for the impossibility of objectivity. The inevitable rejoinder was that we should "strive for it," and I never bought it. Better to explicitly wear your biases, I countered, than attempt to convince your audience you're delivering a service you'll never be able to provide. At best, the promise of objectivity is doomed to be empty and meaningless. At worst -- and it is more often at worst -- it's an insidious propaganda technique that hardens supposition into dogma and stalls progress on policy debate.

A funny thing happened since J-school. The natural alliance that should have existed between the moral relativists on the left (I don't truck with moral relativism, but I take my coalitions where I find them) and proudly partisan journalism never really materialized, aside from Michael Moore. Instead, we got the rise of Fox News and Limbaugh demagoguery, which, despite only the most half-hearted attempts at a claim of objectivity, are nevertheless eagerly joined in the pretense by an audience that appears to have an unquenchable thirst for an antidote to "fragmentation" and "chaos."

So perhaps I was wrong: not only does poor Mr. Cronkite get made into an emblem of something he didn't claim for himself, but so will mass audiences impose objectivity on sources patently not making any particular efforts to provide it. I had posited a top-down model of media and decided that the problem was that it provided too close a simulacrum to objectivity and confused the audience; I'd hypothesized that abandoning the attempt would mean extinguishing the demand. The problem is actually that we have a bottom-up model. Take away the attempt at objectivity, and an apparently inextinguishable groundswell of demand will award the contract to whomever's at hand.

I don't think the answer is to return to the Cronkite model, but I don't need to argue my case, because it isn't something that could ever happen. Barring technological calamity, the "major mouthpieces" moment is never coming back; the few remaining monolithic outlets (and I should know; I work for one) are swelling from internal pressure and are about to burst open into a merry Babel. The question is, how much dissonance can the demand for objectivity accept? I see us heading either toward a more sophisticated model of media consumption in which we automatically triangulate our truths -- and thus, incidentally, arriving at a much more complex, nuanced, and accurate picture than ever possible under the Cronkite "Great Man" narrative -- or towards rendering this movie into prophecy.

Putting aside my penchant for dramatic catastrophizing, I suppose I more realistically see both already occurring. The old digital divide is rapidly becoming a quaint snapshot of a moment in the broader history of the information age. But a new and more enduring one is upon us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill Abendroth said...

To the Editor:

While I always (almost) agree with the E person, this is an especially easy sermon to jump on board with. One of the phenomena that I can't help but notice (cf "Hope I die before I get old") is peoples' habit of waxing nostalgia for shit that never was. What made Walter Cronkite memorable? His ability to be a good news reader, like the William Hurt character in Broadcast News? No, he was a good journalist, at a time when it was important for media outlets to have good journalism.

Listen to what's said about Edward R. Murrow--it's as if he never had to do all that bullshit on Person to Person, or that Alcoa and William "Shithead" Paley never made his life miserable.

What has changed since Murrow's 1958 speech to the Radio-Television News Directors Association? International news bureaus have been eliminated (because some paid shill "discovered" Americans don't care about international events) and budgets slashed (because "news" is too expensive--nevermind the fact broadcast frequencies are allocated in the "public interest"--as opposed to "in the public interest, so long as you you maintain your rate of return"). What are we left with? Other than some programs on PBS, I cannot watch television news--it is too stupid, shallow and pointless. In a word: the wasteland is more wastey (sic) than ever.

Was Walter Cronkite a better, more skilled journalist than Dan Rather? Ask anyone who watched Mr. Rather on 60 Minutes, or when he broadcast reports from Vietnam, or when Mr. Rather stood up to Nixon's lies--not to mention the bullshit from the George W. Bush White House. (that means "no").

I know I am just an aging (sigh) crank, a Grandpa Simpson hunched over my Underwood typing "For SHAME!" but pardon my bazooka barfing over the longing to have someone to tell us "...And that's the way it is"--and be right.

If Walter Cronkite were in his 40s, what could he do about the fact Private Citizen Sarah Palin publishes some complete bullshit, ghostwritten editorial about cap & trade, featured in the Washington Post? What could he do about the horse shit about "missile defense systems"? What would could he say about Senators Sessions, Graham, Hatch, Kyle et al having the temerity to accuse Judge Sotomayor of being "racist"?

Okay--trust me on this: You don't want to hear any more (unless you're some of my meaner friends who LOVE to play a game we call "poke the bear," because all that mouth foaming is so hilarious.....).

You care about Walter Cronkite? Then go look at what Bill Moyers has to say: http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html

Or draw inspiration from IF Stone: http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-9781586485078-0

And for the people who tell you that Mr. Stone was a Soviet mole: kick 'em in the nuts for me.

Or Gore Vidal:
http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780375726392-3

Or Jon Stewart:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/

But we digress.

I have no idea what the next media paradigm is. Which is okay, I guess--I didn't understand the last one. But even though my picture features prominently under the dictionary heading "You're Not Helping," and I am a frequent & persistent embarrassment to all who know me: I got your back, Esquivar (sp).

All power to the soviets--no, not that one. Power to the People--no, that's not right either. Fight the Power? God damn it--where's my Underwood?

I remain:
Bitter, angry--yet strangely persistent.

11:20 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home