Friday, June 19, 2009

D-, too much love in the home

I don't make a habit of quoting the Bill Kristol press, but I'm no ideologue: even when you're right, sometimes you're right.

As those who took the blog detour with me already know, I work in the wedding singing business (and just try to find an unredacted entry in this blog that establishes otherwise. No, seriously -- please try, and let me know if I missed anything). Quite reasonably, when anyone in my wedding singing office pens a new tune, we have to run it by our Chief Singer (CS), just to, y'know, make sure we're all singing the same refrain. Somewhat less reasonably, we also have to run it past each CS in somewhere between one to five dozen other offices, for reasons that have always been a bit murky to me but possibly to ensure that we're not stealing each other's best riffs. Or, perhaps, to make sure that we are. Like I said: murky at best.

Anyway, I do more than my share of both penning and clearing, and so I've been given the temporary loan of my own apprentice songstress, S. She's terribly young, awfully pleasant, and allegedly well-educated (though when precisely, I ask you, did they cease teaching grammar at Harvard?). I also can't quite figure out exactly how to interact with her.

The other day, I asked S to compose a very basic little ditty. Task accomplished with alacrity, she then received instructions to clear the thing with our CS, and then with several others. Which she didn't do. Rather, she sent it out for comment to all the outside offices first. I complained; she argued that her way was more efficient, and, anyway, the receptionist (!) said it was ok. I was too busy to pursue the matter, and, besides, I privately figured the best lesson for her would be what I was fairly well nigh certain would happen: our CS, clearing last, would have far more substantive edits than any of the outside offices, and S would have to endure their grumbling and carping when she sheepishly asked for a re-clear.

And I still think that would have happened. What happened first, though, was that outside office #1 went through the freakin' roof: our CS talked with your CS! We agreed! This tune should never have been written! Why are you reneging? I'm going to contact my CS! You'll be sorry you crossed us!

Ok. We do not torture apprentice songstresses. I stepped in, made general apologetic noises, noted that our office had somehow failed to follow established procedure and that our CS had never actually signed off on the tune; we would make it go away; the world would keep spinning. And then I seized the teaching moment and wrote S a gentle little private e-mail saying: hey. No harm, no foul. But this is a really good example of why, when I ask you to do X in Y manner, you really need to do it in Y manner.

And S? Went through the freakin' roof. Oh, not directly hostile. But incredibly haughty and over-formal, in a wounded-pride, wounded-grammar, and not at all contrite way. Me? Yes, I thought direct insubordination resulting in swift negative consequences might merit even a misspelled mea culpa. And I really couldn't help thinking of that lovely reaction of Epstein's, which I may have to modify and get on a rubber stamp just to make it through the summer with the apprentice: Fail. Too much love in the home.

Call it part of my previous railings against too much self-esteem and my praise of doubt. Call it curmudgeonliness. But it isn't just a general trait of mine, it's a generational change out there -- and I fear for us all.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Italophile said...

She'll get her due. It is partly a generational thing, and partly a Harvard thing.

BTW, I suspect that Harvard has never taught grammar; it's simply that high schools STOPPED teaching it. One of our high-school classmates (and a fellow disciple of the late, great Mrs. Marion B. P.) was an eighth-grade English teacher for a while and she said that her students were always asked at higher grade levels, "Did you have Mrs. S?"

5:31 AM  
Blogger Bill Abendroth said...

I knew I had crossed some kind of boundary, when I discovered that pretty much everyone I met had never heard of Strunk & White.

What does that mean, "this tune should never have been written"? Did it stink, or was it a note for note transcription of Ode to Joy? Keep in the mind that when I worked as a clerk, the chief judge wrote across the face of one of my drafts "What clerk jerk wrote this piece of trash?" So, I may not be the sharpest tool in the tool drawer shed.

Incidently, La Belle E: Welcome to the "back in MY day" generation.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Esquiver said...

Nah, nothing that dramatic. The piece was commissioned and then, simply, decommissioned after the CSesses conferred and decided to take a different approach. Without notifying us foot-soldiers, natch.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a generational shift. The schools have imbued them with so much self-esteem that any constructive criticism creates cognitive dissonance.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous A cranky Italophile said...

It ain't just schools, or soccer leagues (where everyone gets a bloody "participation trophy").

6:37 AM  
Blogger Bill Abendroth said...

You know, Cranky I-Person, Your comments on "participation trophies" reminds me of a conversation I had with some co-workers. They were asking me about my marathon medals, and what a body had to do to "win" a medal. I explained that the medals were given to finishers, meaning everyone who completed the 26.2 miles got a medal. "Oh," said my now EX-friend, "that's just like in the Special Olympics: 'Everyone's a Winner!'"

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Italophile said...

Ah, but medals were given not to participants so much as to finishers, right? (I'm desperately looking for common ground here as I edge ever closer to Bill Abendroth "friend" status, despite never having met the genius himself.)

And I'm sure thousands of parents would like to have a word with me on this one, but a marathon is an entirely different thing from youth soccer, even adjusting for age.

At least they don't have youth Nintendo leagues. (Or do they? If they do, I don't want to know.)

2:58 AM  
Anonymous asg said...

The dilution of standards is one angle to take here, I know. But I think it has more to do with the proliferation of chances. I went to Tufts for undergrad (liberal arts), and to the University of Maryland later, to study programming (also at the undergrad level).

Now, it could be the difference between the two courses of study, but in general the UMD one was much more demanding -- not just in terms of the difficulty of the coursework, which I basically gathered was similar to that of the CS program at Tufts, but also in terms of how stringent the rules were. All projects were submitted on the UNIX cluster -- if they were one second late according to the system clock, the maximum grade the project could receive would be 70; this maximum grade went down by 5 every 24 hours. It was possible, and indeed not entirely uncommon, for people to submit projects with maximum grades at 50 or below (fails), but they had to do so anyway -- all projects had to be submitted with the primary requirements met or the course as a whole would receive an F.

This in contrast to my philosophy courses; I remember waiting for office hours outside a prof's office, and overhearing another student's sob story about why her paper was two weeks late. The professor explained that to give a retroactive extension would not be fair to the rest of the class; this did not move the student, who turned on the waterworks (ultimately unsuccessfully, but her sense of entitlement was clear).

This echoes a point made in an article I read about social mobility some time ago, in which the author pointed out that these sorts of rules are common for non-athletes at state schools. The professor in your 400-person lecture course doesn't care about your personal story and won't make exceptions for you. This differs from elite schools, where the smaller classes and higher tuition bills make it harder for professors to refrain from indulging all manner of nonsense from students.

11:39 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home