My little Segway
A couple of weeks ago, we spent three days in eastern Maryland. The trip was notable for a few reasons:
1. K planned it;
and,
2. It didn't suck.
(It wasn't actually his fault that the "America's Best Value Inn" in Cambridge, MD was scary-decrepit. The one we stayed in during our C&O canal bike trip in western Maryland was quite charming.)
The trip was also notable for where, precisely, K got a tick lodged, but I'm not allowed to talk about that.
Anyhoo, on the way back into town, we stopped in Annapolis and took part in a two-hour Segway tour. I had anxiety dreams about this the night before, quite convinced that I'd be the first person in their history not to be able to figure out how to ride the thing, but it turned out to be a natural fit for me -- unlike K, who managed to get thrown from his steed as soon as they took us out of "beginner" mode after the first hour.
The tour itself consisted of a painfully canned recitation of a few factual-ish nuggets by a terribly enthusiastic twentysomething. K later informed me that any supplied date should be treated as plus or minus 50 years -- if you saw "Slumdog Millionaire," think of the Taj Mahal scenes, and you'll have the general idea. When the other couple in our group left after the first hour and we found ourselves in a private tour, our mouseketeer gave up any pretense of giving us information, de-hobbled our chargers, and let us zoom around the side streets on our own. I didn't complain. I mean, it was unfortunate, because the whole reason I did the tour in Annapolis instead of DC was to get the added bonus of learning something about Annapolis, and that didn't happen. However, the historical tour is, in the end, a thin pretext to be able to spend a couple hours with a Segway. Trust me.
These things are so cool. Forget the implication of dorkiness from their recurring role in Arrested Development. Forget their association with TSA in airports. In their unnervingly personalized responsiveness and the weird symbiosis into which they start to entrain from the moment you mount them, these things are the closest you'll ever come to horseback riding on two wheels. Segways are a blast.
Sort of.
The top speed of a Segway is 12 mph, after which it literally begins to push back, in a particularly annoying nannylike manner. I can't imagine why they've done this, because the subjective difference -- I know this from biking -- between 12 and 15 or 16 mph is immense. It's the difference between briskly efficient and wheeeee.
Also, the range of these beasts is pathetic. A scant 20 miles or so, and they need to park by the plug overnight.
I tell you these damning things because I really, really, really want to get one.
I mean, my return commute (K usually drops me off in the mornings) consists of a 12-minute walk, a five to ten minute wait, and a 20-minute-or-so bus ride. If I got one of these, I could park it in the bike section of my office garage -- at least until they noticed and yelled at me -- and save myself approximately 20 minutes. A day. That's worth $5800 ($2800 on eBay), right?
Ok, look: I know it's not. But one thing I admit I'm starting to do is look at houses that are in public transit dead zones that I'd previously ruled off-limits because I couldn't figure out how I'd get to work. And if I can save 30K by getting an equivalent house in a less-popular area (or just: by actually being able to finally get a house; my latest offer referenced in my last post was outbid by one of the nine other offers they received), then surely that's worth the comparatively modest sum to get a Segway, right? I mean, at least until it rains or snows and I can't figure out how to get to work?
How about this, then: think of how much I'd save on hay and stabling and vet bills!
1. K planned it;
and,
2. It didn't suck.
(It wasn't actually his fault that the "America's Best Value Inn" in Cambridge, MD was scary-decrepit. The one we stayed in during our C&O canal bike trip in western Maryland was quite charming.)
The trip was also notable for where, precisely, K got a tick lodged, but I'm not allowed to talk about that.
Anyhoo, on the way back into town, we stopped in Annapolis and took part in a two-hour Segway tour. I had anxiety dreams about this the night before, quite convinced that I'd be the first person in their history not to be able to figure out how to ride the thing, but it turned out to be a natural fit for me -- unlike K, who managed to get thrown from his steed as soon as they took us out of "beginner" mode after the first hour.
The tour itself consisted of a painfully canned recitation of a few factual-ish nuggets by a terribly enthusiastic twentysomething. K later informed me that any supplied date should be treated as plus or minus 50 years -- if you saw "Slumdog Millionaire," think of the Taj Mahal scenes, and you'll have the general idea. When the other couple in our group left after the first hour and we found ourselves in a private tour, our mouseketeer gave up any pretense of giving us information, de-hobbled our chargers, and let us zoom around the side streets on our own. I didn't complain. I mean, it was unfortunate, because the whole reason I did the tour in Annapolis instead of DC was to get the added bonus of learning something about Annapolis, and that didn't happen. However, the historical tour is, in the end, a thin pretext to be able to spend a couple hours with a Segway. Trust me.
These things are so cool. Forget the implication of dorkiness from their recurring role in Arrested Development. Forget their association with TSA in airports. In their unnervingly personalized responsiveness and the weird symbiosis into which they start to entrain from the moment you mount them, these things are the closest you'll ever come to horseback riding on two wheels. Segways are a blast.
Sort of.
The top speed of a Segway is 12 mph, after which it literally begins to push back, in a particularly annoying nannylike manner. I can't imagine why they've done this, because the subjective difference -- I know this from biking -- between 12 and 15 or 16 mph is immense. It's the difference between briskly efficient and wheeeee.
Also, the range of these beasts is pathetic. A scant 20 miles or so, and they need to park by the plug overnight.
I tell you these damning things because I really, really, really want to get one.
I mean, my return commute (K usually drops me off in the mornings) consists of a 12-minute walk, a five to ten minute wait, and a 20-minute-or-so bus ride. If I got one of these, I could park it in the bike section of my office garage -- at least until they noticed and yelled at me -- and save myself approximately 20 minutes. A day. That's worth $5800 ($2800 on eBay), right?
Ok, look: I know it's not. But one thing I admit I'm starting to do is look at houses that are in public transit dead zones that I'd previously ruled off-limits because I couldn't figure out how I'd get to work. And if I can save 30K by getting an equivalent house in a less-popular area (or just: by actually being able to finally get a house; my latest offer referenced in my last post was outbid by one of the nine other offers they received), then surely that's worth the comparatively modest sum to get a Segway, right? I mean, at least until it rains or snows and I can't figure out how to get to work?
How about this, then: think of how much I'd save on hay and stabling and vet bills!
14 Comments:
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 6:46 PM
-
Bill Abendroth said...
-
- 8:57 AM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 2:32 AM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 2:36 AM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 10:40 PM
-
Acetophile said...
-
- 6:28 AM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 7:42 PM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 11:49 PM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 5:22 AM
-
Bill Abendroth said...
-
- 8:44 PM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 11:47 AM
-
Bill Abendroth said...
-
- 4:57 PM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 10:03 AM
-
Esquiver said...
-
- 9:36 PM
Post a CommentAny place one can get a tick that cannot be mentioned is, ipso facto, deeply unfortunate.
The first and only time I rode a Segway was in the spring of 2004. It was a ton of fun.
Not that I'm impugning anyone's integrity--but suppose K started his own "business," and K's business purchased the Segway? That certainly would help with the costs....I know this guy cough cough whose business purchased a variety of equipment for a sickly wife who needed expensive ergonomic crap.........
As for incorporating the Segway into a commute, how much do they weigh? As you know, in Portland, OR, the buses here are mucho bike friendly, in the sense they all have the cow-catcher on the front for holding bikes. Would you be able to lift a Segway on a bus?
All that said....20 miles is pretty lame-o. For that much money, aren't you in Vespa-style scooter category?
I can't believe you did a Segway tour. As we were walking to the train station in Bruges a few Mondays ago (seems like forever ago, given the four intervening exams that I took) after D's 40th-birthday weekend, we saw people on a Segway tour. I think they were going about 6 mph, and they were all wearing "hi-viz" orange vests. I thought, "What a bunch of dorks," which is something that I am very careful not to say too often lest the reply be (quite validly), "Takes one to know one."
So, as if we did not need yet another pointless waste of our planet's precious resources, may I suggest to you that there is always the (lack of) fashion angle.
P.S. Yes, I know that you already commented on this angle. But you dismissed it, and I'm suggesting that it should not be dismissed. For when *I* say something is dorky, it really must be.
Oh, Italo, with your piss and vinegar.
Look, I'd like to take public transit regularly -- may I remind the court that I purchased my first car ever at the age of 35? -- but DC is not noted for its buses, and, indeed, mine stops running at 7:10 P.M., whereas my work day often stops running at about 8:30 P.M. or so. When that happens, K obligingly fetches me. But that's 8 miles in a Corolla ancien -- 16, if he did the morning dropoff -- versus what would be 4/8 on a device that gets the equivalent of 400 miles to the gallon. I mean, c'mon.
(Plus, one doesn't have to wear the vests.)
You're right, and I apologize. I know you'd be sensible about its use and wouldn't start tooling off to places you might otherwise walk or cycle to on the specious grounds (often used by lazier people than yourself) that "I've got it; I might as well use it."
Dear Aceto,
My carping was full of fondness. Anyway: I am lazy. And thank you for not pointing out that my four-mile commute is fully cycle-able; in fact, it is. But, thunderstorms. And arriving at work all sweaty. And riding home in the dark. And hillllls.
I suspect that you and I differ on whether moral perfection is achievable, though I think we agree on the need to make incremental progress.
Just spotted: http://www.darcomic.org/2007/11/27/segwaycops/
Oh, I know. And I appreciate your expressing the sentiment. But even I get tired of my endless moralizing.
I can't really complain about your attitude to cycling your 4-mile commute. I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles and often drives his car the 1 mile to his work. It takes him 20 minutes to do that. Insane.
So, I take it the idea of you getting a Vespa scooter and a black leather jacket with an upside down amerikan (sic) flag across the back---that's not in the cards?
I mean--you being such a big Steppenwolf fan and all......
The Vespa is a classy ride; no question about it. But scootering versus segwaying misses the distinction that the Segway really feels *alive* (in a non-creepy way), which just takes the experience to a whole new interactive and relational level.
Oh, also: Vespa + DC drivers = splat, whereas the Segway is allowed on the bike trails.
Oh, I did not factor in traffic.....You know in Portland (and pretty much Oregon as a whole) we are nice people and nice drivers. For concerns of thrift and environment, I still drive 55 on the freeway, and it's not a problem. But when I was in San Diego, had I even CONSIDERED driving less than 70, I'd have been torn to pieces with everyone singing Hallelujah.
I'm still trying to get my head around the 20 mile limit, though.....
That is so true about California drivers. The Italian & I once road-tripped through the southwest and I drove that long stretch of I-10 from Phoenix west to Los Angeles at 55 (for similar reasons). No probs until I got past Palm Springs and then I felt physically unsafe doing anything less than 65. The safe-following-distance rules don't seem to apply in CA. Madness.
A roadtrip, Italo? A roadtrip? Surely, you must've meant a biking roadtrip. Most certainly you did not intend to imply a willing contribution to the pointless waste of our planet's precious resources.
In any event, I trust you were suitably fashionably attired.
;-^
<< Home