Wednesday, July 08, 2009

D'oh!

Was my last post really Tuesday? Could've sworn it was Friday.

Ok.

I've violated the one-week rule that all marginal blogs must stay above lest they perish. My bad.

But don't I get points for not trying to back-date this entry?

Anyway, it hasn't been a bloggy sort of week. The wedding-singing business is keeping me busy with new songwriting -- my latest task is to ghostwrite a heart-rending first-person lament about a trip that I didn't actually go on -- and my frustration with the workload and office politics has been such that I found myself today looking longingly at a job at MIT that would have me writing songs about the latest research in the social sciences. I think it sounds perilously close to something I'd be willing to do for free. K thinks I'd get bored with it in three months. K's probably right, but I do note that K is also insanely convinced that he has Lyme disease from that tick bite he got a while back. (Or am I just gullibly falling prey to his regular requests to have that portion of his anatomy checked for a rash?)

My writing energies, anyway -- such as they are -- have been funneled toward the actual, real, bona fide start of my novel, which is saddled with the working title of The Creative Flowering of Polly Syndeton.

Yes way.

Also, because the deep urge to nest and buy a house is there but a suitable and purchasable house is not, I've been engaging in random retail therapy, which is extremely unusual for someone who has, on occasion, forgotten to buy any articles of new clothing for an entire year. Highly recommended purchases include: what I think of as my magic Waterpik. If you, like me, cannot sleep with unclean teeth, must always possess the latest in dental technology (my new toothbrush with wireless data transmission -- uh huh -- is still shipping), and get annoyed with having to refill your conventional Waterpik four or five times in the course of one use, you need this product. And yes, you can build one yourself for, prolly, around eight bucks, but (1) Home Depot and us do not always mix, and (2) I like to financially reward clever ideas. (Actually, I'm just lazy, but I crave the social approbation of saying the last bit.) Italo will now scold me for pointless conspicuous consumption, and, believe me, I feel guilty already. I can resist everything except gratuitous technology, and the technology/dentology nexus is just too, too much for this frail vessel.

Products that we cannot yet recommend because we can't test them out until this weekend include: a kayak. And I really can't explain that one at all. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and we will use it, and with the birthday I've got on the horizon I can only plead that it was both cheaper and more eco-friendly than a little red sports car.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Italophile said...

If only you could hear me right now, you'd agree (however relucantly) that, in just eight short years in Old Blighty, I have perfected the decidedly English art of tutting.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Bill Abendroth said...

For the life of me, a toothbrush with wireless data transmission makes no sense to whatsoever....

And HOW can you possibly think this past week has not been blog worthy? I've busted my ass on the Alaska Governor alone......In fact, I've been trying to get peoples attention that someone has edited Governor Palin's idiotic July 3rd notice, correcting some (but not all) the piss poor punctuation....

As for kayaking--my sister in Salem outfitted her whole family with kayaks, and they love them. But in my limited experience, I have to say I prefer the old fashion canoe. Kayaking requires more upper body strength than I have available.........

3:18 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home