Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The town that charm forgot

That's not quite fair. One of the first things I noticed about Columbus was that the "Don't Walk" signs were lexical, not pictographic, just like pre-1990's New York. I found that very charming. (But also a little disturbing. It was as if the city conceded, "aw, screw it; we know we won't get international tourists. Let's just go with English.")

This post was going to be a supplication to public opinion (I will not type "bleg"): do I say yes to OSU, which is so far my only grad option? On the one hand, I hated it; on the other, saying no quite possibly seals the academic door shut evermore and leaves me open to several months' dreaded ambiguity and a very real possibility of a tour in Baghdad, or Bangui (which is in some ways worse: most of the danger and none of the credit).

In the end, though, I had to face that the needle's been stuck pointing to magnetic "hell, no!" since pretty much the first day of my visit to Ohio, despite my formidable powers of rationalization and self-persuasion. I'm not going. I'll take my chances with what's behind the curtain.

Columbus isn't actually a city. It's tracts of pleasant-but-plain detached homes on modest lots, held together by the weak gravitational force of a downtown core that still stands but exists in shell form. Urban planning is not only not in evidence, but it feels as though malevolent forces actively conspired against the municipality; I find it hard to believe a city could be that ugly by accident. (And yes, annotated photos have been posted, if you know where to find them.)

Some visit highlights:

Day One. I arrive mid-afternoon, with some time to kill before the group dinner. The Grad Committee Chair suggests I check out the trendy, artsy district, and points me in the right direction.

Later that evening:

Grad Chair: "How were your explorations? Did you walk around the arts district?"

E: "No, I think I must have gotten lost and only wandered around the outskirts. I just saw a couple of antique stores and a natural-foods cafe."

...A prolonged and increasingly uncomfortable silence, during which both parties make awkward realizations...

E (brightly): So! Is the weather always this crappy?"

Day Two, early morning. Esquiver chats with K by phone, and confesses her fears about the general background sophistication level of the city, but is persuaded to keep an open mind. She then goes downstairs for breakfast, and has to show an Ohioan how to use the toaster, which is of the commercial "conveyor" variety. The Ohioan has, until this point, been repeatedly and with great hope placing the toast on the little tray on the bottom, where it's intended to fall after going around on the belt. Esquiver knows that not everyone has seen a commercial toaster before, but nevertheless can't help thinking of that time in Chhattisgarh when she saw a middle-aged woman encounter an escalator for the first time. The image stays with her all weekend. (Mind you, that incident really was charming.)

Day Three. A brief rally. For a half day, there is some sunlight and a respite from the Arctic winds, and cute houses and excellent, absolutely excellent, ice cream is discovered. This is, however, too little, too late.

Day Four. German Village is charted and determined to be old without actually being picturesque. I liked it well enough -- it was sort of like Old Town Alexandria, though without the upkeep or civic pride -- but it still just looked...I don't know, hunkered down? Somewhat bleak? As if it housed people who had gradually learned to lower their expectations and ask for less out of life?

I was cheered to also discover, on Day Four, an actual posh-and-craftsy sort of shop, of the kind you might find in Rhinebeck or New Paltz or most of western Oregon. And I went in, thinking I might pick up a local souvenir. Except there were no local souvenirs -- every scrap of glazed clay and every anodized windchime goose was from Vermont or Maine or other parts of the established universe. Now, hey: I do imagine that there are Ohio craftspeople. But, frankly, I also imagine them saying "ugh, this weather! Argh, this architecture! I'm too depressed to create. Let's just import some tchotchkes from somewhere nicer."

As I waited for my cab to the airport, I made polite smalltalk with the doorman at the Westin. When he heard it was my first visit and that I had been thinking of moving there, he asked what I'd thought.

"Well..." I said kindly, "I think I might need somewhere a little warmer. And bigger."

A strange, pained look possessed him, as he broke with the formulaic chitchat and howled, in the most angst-ridden voice I've ever heard: "Oh, God! So do I!"
I shoved a tip in his hand, and fled.

For the week after my return, I nevertheless thought carefully about OSU. I mean, I liked the faculty; very much so. Frankly, I was a little freaked out by the department's grad students, but that was probably due to the combination of their youth and the apparent narrowness of their extracurricular interests. I'm confident that had I actually gone to the school we could have found common ground; other than a certain freakiness that allowed them to choose to live in Ohio, they seemed perfectly unobjectionable. It was when I turned my consideration to the campus -- all football and Midwestern and full of kids who really didn't look like they were there for the learnin' -- that I truly quailed.

And then, of course, there was the town. Grim and spacious. I'd never imagine using the word "spacious" as a pejorative, but neither would I have imagined a "city" with so much cold, dead, dreary emptiness at the heart of it. Stop me before I wax too hyperbolic, but I really felt that I was in the middle of the country. None of this "clasped in the bosom of the heartland" crap, either. I felt marooned on the enormous white ass of America, suffocating in cellulite, and feeling the enormousness -- oh, hell: the enormity; that works, too -- of the massive unmovable beast.

I also felt, strangely, a lot like I did in Amman. Which is to say, in Jordan I felt like that scene in Annie Hall in which Alvy imagines Annie's family looking at him and seeing the bearded Hasid in peyes and tzitzit; at the time, I suffered an overwhelming compulsion to walk up to strangers and say "Hi! In case you were wondering, I'm Lebanese!" (It didn't really help that there was a tank turret pointing at my hotel room, ostensibly for my protection. Really, I ask you: if that were the case, shouldn't it have been pointing the other way?) Walking around Columbus, I had a similar crushingly and distractingly vivid sense of others looking at me and seeing John Waters. The difference? I wanted to walk up to strangers and say "Hi! I'm John Waters!"

So. I'm bidding for my next assignment. More on that soon. And I'll stay on the Penn wait list, though the school's indifference, and, to be honest, rudeness since notification suggest to me that even that limbo might simply have been a professional courtesy to the faculty friend who put in a word for me. If I get in, would I go? Maybe. To cadge another Firefly line: Yeah, there're reavers there, but they're my reavers. I mean, I can itemize the things I don't like about Philly, and it's even a fairly long list. But, crucially, I can itemize it -- that is, my concept of Philly exists apart from the problems I see with it. I'd have no objection to going back for tourism or just to hang out. The notion of minimizing the bad and maximizing the good is coherent.

But Columbus? I can't even make the list. The essence of the place -- or what little there was there (apologies to Stein, but I've lived in Oakland, and there was a whole lot more there there) -- is itself aversive. The idea of returning for tourism or hanging out or, really, for anything is nonsensical.

Ohio may be the most alien foreign country I've ever visited.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey hey! Now wait just a minute here...come on now, E--I certainly hope that you aren't trying to fool an old fooler here.

Now let's just peel back a couple of layers on this here onion. First, the weather in Ohio sucks butt. No way around that. End of story. But is the weather in the City of Brotherly Love 365 days of moonlight & roses? Was the weather in cough cough where it hot & humid enough to be a pressure cooker, was that one endless cool breeze? You're going to get crappy weather, no matter what you do...Even out here in cough cough...You kvetched about the weather--because we don't have four 'seasons'! So deciding on something this for weather? Uh uh.

But let's jump into Professor Peabody's Way Back machine, just for a little spin. I seem to recall a dedicated, 100% Easterner Big City Gal, suddenly finding herself in the middle of the little town SOUTH of Cow-berg. And now contrast that with OSU land...Sure, no one mistook that part of Ohio for NYC--But no matter where you are, you are in shouting distance of Cleveland, Columbus, the Natti, Chicago...And you're learning how to drive....But when you lived in Southern Cowville, you had to bike around, BUT you went on to really love living there (at least that's what you said. Maybe you were just lying).

So what if those Germans are big taciturn galoots who don't talk about their feelings...it's not like you've ever met anyone like that before. If you can learn to like living in Cowopollis...You can get used to anywhere.

(Now I'm going to puke. Both Senator Obama and Senator Clinton are going after each other about which one is 'soft' on Weather Underground. God, why do I watch these things?)

So those big midwest boys make you think of the Randy Newman classic Rednecks ('college boys from OSU--went in dumb, and come out dumb too'--wait. That's not right). But are you going to make me post that paper AGAIN? You know the one I mean: the one about Shakespeare's 'The Tempest,' and about the death penalty being applied to the slave trade & malicious use of crystal balls. I don't recall that one being mentioned at the Pulitzers that year....And you know what? A little bitching with a semi-wanton friend, and boo-yah! Problem solved. Or how about the discovery of the difference between 'spoon feeding' and 'SSSPPPPOOOOONNNN FEEEEEDDDDIIIINNNGGGG' of undergrads, for their tests? You made it past that one too.....

As George Kennedy said to Cool Hand Luke: 'Come on now...don't be that way.' You know you hate everything. Especially new things. But you always do it...me, I can't even catch a taxi the right way......And those Beijing traffic lights. What those colors mean in China--I certainly couldn't tell.

But look at where you are, look at what you've done......Remember that little bitty girl in Oakland? Do you think if I played 'This Will Be Your Life' with that girl, she'd believe the story I told her? She would have told me to go do something that was annatomically impossible.

(oh god...Now Hillary is making the 'no new taxes' pledge. I shouldn't have watched).

Just do not burn any bridges. You got a lot of balls in the air, so maybe you should take a break....

But all things being equal--you & I both know (well, I know) you are going to be fine no matter what you do, no matter what you decide.

Bill Abendroth

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, now that's what I call a pep talk. Good goin', Bill.

I think an older graduate student is always going to have remind-me-exactly-why-I-am-here issues, usually triggered by being in the midst of thousands of 18- to 22-year-olds whose greatest short-term goal in life is getting drunk as cheaply as possible. They would be substantially the same at Penn, too.

I recognize, however, that the culture-related shortcomings are probably not easily overcome (and being within driving distance of Cincinnati is hardly a selling point when a possible alternative is being within an easy-ish train ride to both New York and D.C.).

But one good thing about Columbus is that the short-lived Skybus just went out of business, so you won't have any surprise visitors from the Stewart Airport catchment area.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, let's clarify one point. We *always* call before visiting even if it's from the corner store.
-- the Stewart crew

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comment was strictly in jest, of course.

3:56 PM  
Blogger David Schraub said...

"Sounds like you visited grad school just in time!"

"Know what that makes the trip?"

"Big damn heroes, sir!"

"Ain't we just?"

I'm also on my law school visit swing. Chicago was Friday and was very nice. Columbia is due up on Monday. Decision due May 1st.

12:52 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home