Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Paused

You might think my posting volume has decreased because I'm, y'know, grieving over my relationship. And, don't get me wrong, I'm sure that plays a role. But the actual mourning (vis-a-vis blog posting, anyway) is for my G4.

The 12" G4 Powerbook is, hands-down, the most fantastic computer in the universe.

As proof, I point to the fact that, at a seminar I went to some months ago, the topic of which was something along the lines of "Les Enfants Terribles of the Cyberworld Predict the Future," all those wunderkindern spoke at disdainful length about how the technology we all thought was so cutting edge in our offices was actually so ten minutes ago...and then, at the break, they all pulled out their battered aluminum 12" G4s. It isn't a question of specs; the G4 simply rocks.

Alas, they're also on the jealous side.

And so, not even two weeks after I brought an Asus 3e into my home and cooed over its cuteness (while secretly loathing the damn cheap keyboard that gives me so many typos I wanna fling the thinh across the roon), my G4 retaliated by giving me the flashing file folder of death.

We've been through a lot together, my G4 and me, and I'm not letting go without a fight. Long story short, tonight finds me up to my elbows in teeny little screws and bits of metal as I try, desperately, to transplant a still-beating hard drive from a dead, never mourned, iBook into my precious G4. Nope, never done the operation before, but how hard could it be?

Fifteen pages' worth of instructions hard, is how it turns out. I actually made it to page seven before encountering a hex screw that the guy from Mac Menders who'd unsuccessfully tried to save the iBook a few years ago seems to have stripped. I have the right-sized wrench, but the thing's worn almost perfectly round. I tried wrapping the wrench in grippy tape; I even tried a dab of superglue. It ain't budging.

Tips, any DIY-minded readers? How, when your surface is too delicate for drilling, do you remove a stubborn screw? A bit of Loc-tite on the wrench, maybe? (I was afraid some would dribble underneath the screw; superglue seemed easier to control.)

In the meantime, I can get on the web with the Asus, but it's not fun. And it certainly can't download this week's episode of Lost from iTunes on Friday (I am still a TV-less household), so my question has a wee bit of urgency to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home