Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Anger

Why aren't women allowed it?

Why do we give a benign nod to our angry young men -- fetishize them, even -- but ridicule its expression in the sex that is statistically wildly less likely to go from anger to serious physical violence?

Why is it unnecessary for critics to mock -- or even ask -- what Clinton might be angry about; why can they discredit her merely by pointing out that she's evincing the emotion? Why is the implicit premise that there could not exist justifiable grounds for that anger so widely accepted?

Why does McCain "fire back" and "spar," but Clinton "scold" and "show her frustration"?

I may need to stop following the campaigns for a bit.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog post makes me furious.
-Shani

3:58 PM  
Blogger Monster Paperbag said...

reading this makes me wonder about the same thing..

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is pretty incredible. I encounter a surprisingly large number of female Americans expats in my job, and they often ask whom I would like to see win, etc. Of course they are expecting me to say Obama, and when I cheerfully say that I support Hilary, they'll mumble something about her attributes, and I always respond (as politely as possible, since the Customer Is Always Right) with a version of your own musing: would we say the same things about a male candidate?

It is so frustrating. I am sorry.

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just that she's been angry, she's been embittered and desperate. There's a difference, dammit.

12:23 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Well, someone ought to explain that to the media; "angry" has featured heavily in the headlines.

Define "embittered," though: isn't it resentment over a perceived slight? And doesn't it therefore require us to determine whether the perception is accurate (in which case, I think we're back to "angry") or not?

I also think it's a bit of a stretch to suppose that people run for President out of hostility or spite. "Desperate"? As in, he's ambitious, she's desperate? Please.

5:46 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home