Sunday, March 02, 2008

Yes, no, maybe

The final results are in. OSU, as mentioned: admit; Michigan, rejected. And, now, Penn: somewhere in between. I've been, maddeningly, wait-listed.

Michigan wasn't a huge surprise. Though I was attracted by the small size and apparent flexibility of the program, I was aware it wasn't an ideal fit even as I was writing the essay ("And so, even though Dr. X's work doesn't directly address these research interests, I believe…"), and had pretty much ruled them out long before I heard from 'em. I'm guessing they suspected I was trying to access UM's killer social psych program through the back door, and I'm not sure I wasn't. In retrospect, I should've used that spot to apply to Wisconsin.

Ohio remains a puppydog of exuberant Midwesternism, keeping in regular email contact: Any questions? How 'bout now? This one's just to let you know that we upgraded our research labs; can we send you pictures? I really like that their entire department is oriented towards the behavioral social sciences and that, interests-wise, I could work with virtually anyone there. I do worry, though...how to put this without sounding self-deprecating, which I'm actually not being, in this instance?...see, I'm a good candidate, but I'm not a water-walker. And if they're treating me like one -- which, don't get me wrong, feels kinda nice -- have I overestimated the respectability of their department?

Penn, of course, has the name, as well as the impeccable judgment to have reservations about me, but at least half the department and most of the renown is for such intolerable silliness as Critical Theory and is of no interest or use to me. Plus, my impression of Philly after visiting last month is that it's a very graceful oasis of about half a mile in every direction around City Hall, surrounded by mile after mile of…well, reavers.

To make the decision even worse, the funding package is approximately equal. Annenberg funds all its students, so, even if admitted late, I'd be offered the same deal. Penn offers about 4K more than Ohio, but the difference largely washes out with Ohio's lower cost of living and lower required fees. Both figures are, anyway, next to nothing.

I'm going to visit OSU at the end of the month, and I lay about even odds on my (1) loving it, or (2) freaking out entirely and ruling out any further consideration of grad school at any institution.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please note that I say this NOT as a life-long west coast guy, and the fact that virtually my father's entire family attended Michigan has no influence whatsoever when I say:

Just how hard can it be to be a water walker in Ohio? I mean, it's the state that's known mainly for being high in the middle and round on both ends, for god's sakes.....

I remain:
Bill Abendroth

4:25 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home