Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cats unclear on the concept

My cats are Siamese. Not in coloring, but in where it counts: from Thailand, kinked tails, delicate physiques, advanced problem-solving skills, and a keen interest in conversation and rhetoric.

They're lifelong indoor cats, unsophisticated in the ways of the outdoor world despite having traveled more than most Americans, but my current apartment has a well-protected balcony on which I often permit them to go out. We spent most of pleasantly muggy yesterday afternoon lounging around outside as a family unit: me, reading and listening to music; them, sticking close by and hunting incautious insects. A nice time was had by all. M, in particular, likes to bellyflop and frolic on the balcony's rough concrete floor, like a dust-bathing elephant, but only if I'm watching and giving encouragement and approval. (How do I know? Because I've watched him surreptitiously from behind the blinds, and he stands around disconsolately and ill at ease until he spots me, and then he gleefully dive-bombs the floor.)

The separation from K has been rough on the cats, who have rarely been without human companionship over the course of their lives, and who, I'm sorry to say, now appear to regard a full-time attendant as their birthright. C, for example, who was orphaned at two weeks, used to come with me to work (this was Thailand; it was easier) and sleep in the walk-in vault so that I could feed her soymilk through an eyedropper every few hours. Then there was the Thai maid. I wasn't sure how she'd be around pets, but I came home unexpectedly one day to find her doing the dusting while with one arm clutching a purring M to her hip, so that seemed to go ok. Then there was the Indian maid, who didn't cuddle them, but kept up a running dialogue, which they seemed to like almost as much. And then K had been home for the past year -- not so good for our relationship, but highly desirable from the cats' point of view.

So, yeah: they're bored and upset, and I've come home to the broken picture frames and toppled shelves to prove it. A couple weeks ago, I walked in and saw their guilty expressions -- this isn't anthropomorphizing; I can take one look at them when I come in the front door and perfectly predict whether I'm going to discover evidence of mayhem -- and found the Roomba wedged under a low cabinet, still struggling feebly; clearly, they'd gone to its docking station, switched it on, and had themselves a joyride before the situation got out of control.

This morning, an inexplicably raw and blustery day, I woke up at 7:30 to M straddling my torso and complaining directly into my ear. "The porch was good yesterday," he told me, "take me back out there -- now. Sun's up; time's wasting." I made a token protest and effort to ignore him, but he had maneuverability and persistence and sentience on his side, so, ok, fine. It didn't end there, however. After fifteen seconds outside, M came back in and has not relented in his harangue for the past four hours. The frustration is mounting in his voice, as -- I kid you not -- he keeps trying to coax me over to the thermostat. "Make it like yesterday," he urgently instructs, "c'mon, you big galoot -- warm it up."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of which....And I mean cats.

Pete the 16 year old has developed an annoying habit: runs into a room, make sure I'm looking, and then he pees--prefering any clothes on the floor.

LUCKY for me, he doesn't have any infection & drinks lots of water, so my house isn't a potpourri of cat urine (or a meth lab, which goes to show I was a public defender for too long). A trip to the vet, including an x-ray, shows PROBABLY some gall stones. Options include surgery (uh huh) and change of diet...so we've done that, but he's still on the cranky side.

Vet thinks the peeing is 'behavioral issues,' and said when some cats get older, they get more particular about litter boxes: even one prior use, that's a no go. so, now I'm cleaning the two boxes of litter like three times a day, and it seems to help...not to mention I bounce up & down, letting him in & out--You know how it is about older guys and peeing...and if you don't, take my word for it.

Still...there's a chance he is in pain, and is trying to tell me in as insistent of a way he can that I need to do something.

Otherwise, I have no idea what he'd be complaining about--I haven't stuck his head inside my mouth in over a month.

Bill Abendroth
billaben@teleport.com

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of being 'Unclear on the Concept,' inquiring minds want to know what the Esquivalier has to say about La Belle Rice's latest angry rant about 'blogs lighting up all over the Department, in anger...' about how NO ONE would REALLY get 'forced' to volunteer to go to cough cough or cough cough...and how shocked SHOCKED the Secretary is that anyone could think such an assignment would be a sentence of cough cough.

While I've certainly had my share of bosses whose analysis of life is 'everyone who works for me is a lazy dumb ass,' is it just my imagination that this refrain is relatively unusual for a Secretary of cough cough?

And when am I going to get over this cold?

I remain:
cough cough

Bill Abendroth

3:26 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home