Monday, February 18, 2008

11/11/2003 - 2/14/2008; (?) - (?)

K moved out yesterday, at my request.

I don't have much to say about it right now. The initial impetus was a Valentine Day's fight (we really didn't do holidays well -- any holiday); a last-straw nth iteration of feeling like Charlie Brown and the football (concept illustrated here, for puzzled younger readers), and a clear understanding, finally, that my enabling his aimlessness was doing neither of us any favors. And, yes, there was a great deal of anger at the time. After much discussion on Saturday, however, involving tears, laughter, and a couple of really bad Arrested Development jokes on my part (and if you just winced: yup, you got the right ones) we reached a remarkably amicable and well-negotiated resolution.

The question marks in the title, which would themselves have been question-marked had it not looked so inelegant, refer to the fact that, in keeping with the thematic ambiguity of the relationship, we aren't ending our pairing so much as attenuating it. In three-month intervals, with the option to renew, dissolve, or recommit by mutual consent, as laid out in the Third Addendum of 2 PM (Section F, just before the Quit Smoking Rider).

If you're confused, you probably have an accurate grasp of the situation. Are we broken up?
Yes.
Mostly.
We boxed up all his stuff (with, to my relief, little squabbling over what was whose), loaded up the rental car, went out to the theater (just because we're breaking up doesn't mean we can't be civilized), and then he left the next day, with no plans to return.

Is it a good idea to take this opportunity to tell me that you never liked K anyway?
No.
Or, at least, not beyond the minimal disparagement necessary to satisfy the demands of social etiquette surrounding a breakup.

This feeling may evolve -- it undoubtedly will evolve -- but right now I do think the odds are greater than not that this won't be our last breakup. Call it the Marge Simpson syndrome if you must, but I don't actually want the "someone better" that well-intentioned friends are suggesting is in my future. I do want a better K.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. It has been quite a week for you. I'm sorry about most everything (except, of course, for the Asus acquisition).

Sometimes people just need a little shove to get in the right direction.

For what it's worth, I actually like K, and I hope you get a better K. soon.

XOXO

3:17 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home