Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bleg

1. I hate the word "bleg." Not arguing with its efficiency; it's just extremely unattractive.

2. Time to pick myself up and move on. I had let my Match ad expire, because, well, hopeless. I'm still running my okcupid profile -- and am amused by how radically different the demographics are between the sites -- but, somehow, despite getting the sense that the general level of interestingness is higher on that one, I'm netting even fewer prospects. (I suspect that to actually force people to go through the awkwardness of meeting, they do, in fact, have to feel that doing so is part of getting their membership money's worth.) Haven't done Yahoo, but it looks frighteningly bleak. I could try Craigslist -- or, of course, I could just gouge out my eyes now, and save time.

3. Seriously, my internet-savvy friends, where do they hide the good ones? Are there some better sites out there I should be trying? (Bearing in mind an awfully low threshold for "better"?)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again. Have a look at this -

http://onlinedatingpost.com

if you want to vet some communities.

Chemistry.com has a rather interesting new approach based on Helen Fisher's research. Or try 21st century style matching through a digital code based on your immune system with scientificmatch.com - if nothing else, it's interesting to browse and read about their methodology.

If you've graduated from the list of universities catered to by squaredating.com that might be an option - they're much more inclusive now than they were when they started.

Good luck :)

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember back in 1996 when there was just simply an e-mail list of a dozen or so single Jews?

An Ivy League friend swears by Right Stuff Dating, which would tend to overlap with your preferred intellectual demographic.

Nerve/Onion/Spring Street has lots of lefty bohemian types.

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahoo is actually quite good. Or try jdate, or salon.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For obvious reasons, I have a personal fondness for Jdate.

But until Edie convinced me to go the Jdate route, I liked the Salon site, which, if I remember correctly, also doubled as The Onion dating site.

7:14 PM  
Blogger David Schraub said...

Isn't "bleg" just the truncated sound you make when you throw-up? ("BLLEEEGGHHH")

I think that's the problem here.

2:07 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home