Saturday, January 03, 2009

Of MHC and men

If this blog were a movie, it would start with a tight shot of me looking upset and jangled, sitting in front of the computer in a state of visible agitation. Early-90's-era Pet Shop Boys plays. The camera would pull back to reveal stacks of dirty dishes and general slovenliness. Then the voiceover would commence: How did we reach this point?

Indeed.

Readers, yet another reason for the blog-out was this: A. (Note: this is not Mr. Margarita A. In fact, I suppose, technically we could call this one A, which is a bit of rebus profoundly amusing to me and maybe one other person. Also hard to type. So we'll just call him A2.) A2's inadvertently blog-distorting effects can best be likened to Alvy Singer's remark "As Balzac said, there goes another novel." (hat tip: Ryan) If you don't immediately get the reference, please don't look it up; this is a family blog.

Who is A2? On our ol'triangular attraction model, A2 squeaks by on the intellectual scale. I mean, sure: a few awkward moments, like when he confused Julian P. Barnes with Julian E. Barnes, but mostly in the ballpark. Ish.

On the emotional scale, we have a split ticket. Is there the kind of easy, talk-about-anything rapport? There is not. Is there, however, a visceral sense of something inchoate, ineffable, and molten, just below the surface and striving to be born? Well: yeah. Mostly loading as a factor, I think, on the physical scale. Let's say the physical scale runs from one to ten. On that metric, A2 scores a 2,083. Give or take.

A2 and I became entangled in October, [mumble]-something weeks after the last K breakup, and after he (that is, A2) repeatedly and somewhat haughtily assured me that of course doing so wouldn't affect our pre-existing friendship. Right. So how long 'til our friendship was destroyed? Readers, approximately ten weeks.

There was a big, bad blowup on New Year's Eve (over something incredibly stupid), an aggressive silence, and then the little sh*t went all Old Testamenty, delineating my crimes and my sentence of excommunication in a pompous and painfully-spelled email, followed by a note informing me that he'd deleted my (frankly, quite reasonable and placating) reply unread. All of which is proximate. The real issue here? A2 and I never had a formal relationship -- just out of one, I really wasn't interested in jumping into another -- but, rather, something ambiguous and undefined, which I was reasonably comfortable with but which never sat well with A2's quaintly charming Midwestern mores. When I returned from vacation and A2 confessed he'd missed me more than anticipated and hoped he wouldn't end up getting hurt, I knew we were in trouble. Cue the awfully convenient blow-up, less than 24 hours later.

Putting aside the fact that A2 quite clearly has trust and anger issues that far predate me, this tiff has had the unfortunate side-effect of vaporizing my social life, which, in my laziness and social ambivalence, I'd left solely in A2's care. This leaves me with much time to consider questions like: what the hell just happened? And where did the previous three months go? And, most importantly, how is it even possible to have a non-relationship, something so explicitly without a future (I kept trying to bring up Nikah Mut'ah as a possible sop for his need for labels; he always erroneously thought I was kidding) go so emotionally out of control, so fast?

It's a very weird thing, chemistry. If you asked for a list of qualities I found physically engaging, I could supply it within seconds and A2 would have exactly none of them. Leading me to wonder: is it because he isn't short, dark, and Semitic and couldn't possibly be a distant relation that things got so all-consuming? The old canard about the major histocompatibility complex (MHC, no great links; just google it) and attraction is that there's a pheromone-mediated bias towards dissimilar MHCs, in the service of allelic diversity. Sure, I'd always thought, for other people. For me, I'd generally opted for the more explicitly cognitive similarity-promotes-liking mechanism, especially since some of the psychological research in that area is mine {cough}.

Here's the thing, and it's something you don't see discussed in the MHC literature too much: these two attractors are largely at odds. To put it in current and concrete terms: what are the chances that a blue-collar (-roots) Catholic guy from Wisconsin is going to get my Alvy Singer reference? And, more dispiritingly: do I really have to choose between shared cultural allusions and a touch that inexplicably makes me melt?

In any event, 2009 is off to an incredibly inauspicious start; a non-relationship ending in a very real and raw breakup. Well: emotionally raw, anyway. Intellectually, I can't muster anything other than profound irritation at the juvenile, friendship-shredding, and bullying way A2 handled the aftermath; after all, we both always knew, from the outset, this wasn't something in which to get seriously emotionally invested.

And yet. And yet, and yet.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...umm...where does this leave A1 exactly?

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, A1 was always just a friend. Not always the most attentive friend, which has its own set of issues, but, overall, one of my more straightforward relationships.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It always surprises me when people are surprised when their emotions are on the line in relationships. But I *said*, in advance, that my emotions wouldn't be on the line! Yet they are! I don't understand! How could that happen?

Also, modern big-city "dating" is a fundamentally ridiculous endeavor in the way that it evades and undermines the permanent bonding that it professes to pursue.

8:29 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Marcus -

Not quite fair. First, you really are begging the question, in the righteous old original use of the term. Yes, if there were a relationship, emotions ought to have been involved. But there wasn't.

Second, let me correct my own mis-speak in my penultimate paragraph: We both knew this wasn't something "in which to get seriously emotionally invested." Better put: we both knew this was something without a future.

Ultimately (well, before he revealed himself to be a deeply damaged f*ckwad, anyway), this non-relationship foundered on labels, and especially on their nuances involving implied permanence. It was never a "FWB." (I don't understand those: what's the point of unemotional sex?) And I don't do "open relationships" (an oxymoron, and usually promoted by the kind of guys who make my skin crawl, no offense David).

To A2's mind, tragically, that left "romantic couple," with all the insidious future-ness that implies. Me, I intended something slightly more European: "lover," I suppose, which allows full and glorious emotional vesting, but with the understanding that, once the charge is mutually spent, it all devolves back into a rich and deep friendship and affectionate meals shared over ouzo while you discuss each others' new lovers.

And so, yes: I remain surprised that I feel the loss of future-ness of something I damn well know never had a future. (As to his mental state, I now know, I really can say absolutely nothing.)

Oh, wait: you might have been trying to say something like this with your second point. Anyway, I agree with you: modern big-city "dating" is ridiculous. But I blame Seinfeld.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying you weren't in a relationship is just another quixotic attempt by the frontal lobe to impose its verbal definitions on the bubbling mess of life. This thing you are describing, it is a relationship.

Also, the European "lover" thing --almost never happens. Even, I suspect, with Europeans. Out of many, many lovers I've pulled it off only twice.

3:01 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home