Sunday, October 12, 2008

Puzzled and promoted



Speaking of October surprises...this actually happened on the 3rd, but I think I was waiting to make sure it "took," and didn't turn out to be an administrative error: yeah, they promoted me.

Now, understand, I'm perfectly happy to accept the pay increase, especially as it isn't an insubstantial one. Other than that, though, I'm torn between feeling a little...well, disappointed...and feeling as if I must be in some sort of program designed to tear down my pre-existing cognition and build me back up as an [employer]-bot. Let's review my work for them thus far:

- First job: I work hard. Man, I work hard. Nights, weekends; whatever it takes. I'm a total idea hamster, overflowing with energy, initiative, and enthusiasm. I become a minor celebrity in my city, and known with admiration as "the hardest-working woman in [city]." (I also become known as "possessing the nicest rear in [city]," but, frankly, that's rather easy in a country of chronically underweight women. Also, has anyone else ever noticed the overrepresentation of short women in this category? Think Felicity Kendal, Kylie Minogue...) In any event, I overhaul ancient systems, bring efficiency and order to what had been chaos, and institute a number of "firsts" which are all warmly received by the public.
Result: I get nearly drummed out of my profession, and end up with powerful within-[employer] enemies for life.

- Second job: Utterly demoralized, I do the minimum. I stop whatever I'm doing at 5:30, and make no secret that that's what I'm doing. I take keen note of the productivity of my co-workers, and ensure that my efforts place me exactly at the median. I suggest nothing, I volunteer nothing, I punch the clock and do my time and go home.
Result: I get tenured and promoted.

- Third job: Cautiously buoyed by belated recognition, I again put in long hours trying to fix a dysfunctional section which is running around looking busy but accomplishing little, and in which the employees all hate each other. We do indeed start to make some headway, until...
Result: I get screamed at and treated like crap by my supervisors, until I can't take it anymore and leave, consequences be damned.

- Fourth job: Convinced that I must find other work, I do even less than ever before. I actively shrink from extra opportunity. I speak only when spoken to. I execute mandatory tasks extremely conservatively, figuring out exactly what's required and offering not a scintilla more.
Result: I get an award, and promoted.

So what, precisely, are they trying to teach me, here?


Worse: let's assume that I'm excited about my upcoming job with the same employer, and wish to do well. Based on the history sketched out here, how do I accomplish that, exactly?

2 Comments:

Blogger David Schraub said...

Reason #1553 why the real world terrifies me, and I hope never to leave the warm cocoon of academia.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what, precisely, are they trying to teach me, here?

Don't make waves.

4:21 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home