Games people play
Another blogger recently reminded me of the existence of a particularly bilious DC blog that's aimed at damaged male 20-somethings who're attempting to play "The Game."
Me, I wasn't particularly aware of this construal of the mating dance as "The Game." Well, no. Better: I thought it was non-zero-sum and more lighthearted; y'know, more of a game? As in, something both parties might enjoy? The point is, through a combination of expatriatude, age, and willful indifference to American pop culture, I seem to have ended up in a position in which the 20-something mind has become utterly mysterious from my perspective. Which is ordinarily, I have to say frankly, neither a great nor pressing problem for me.
However, this evening, K and I went to a gathering we sometimes attend. (And yes, I know: burying the lede again. There will be future posts. For the sake of this anecdote, you need only know this: there is temporary and affectionate cohabitation; there is not coupledom.) And at this gathering, we were convivial a bit (separately); we canoodled a bit (together).
I spent some time chatting with B, who is somewhere in the zone between acquaintance and friend. B is whip-smart, accomplished, and amiable. He is also physical perfection itself, which I say with aesthetic and not lustful appreciation. B is possibly as old as 24.
B was starting to plan travels in a part of the world I'm familiar with, and I casually offered to give him some suggestions once his itinerary shaped up. Later on this evening, there was an email from B asking to take me up on my offer, and confessing his ardent attraction to me.
To which, dear Readers, I must say:
WTF?
I mean, just, really, now: WTF?
Seriously, my first thought was that he must somehow be poking fun at me. Which isn't quite as pathetic as it sounds: B and I have a history of persiflage. He's also very difficult to stop looking at once one starts. Perhaps he caught me lingering, and this was teasing payback?
And then I moved on to: who says something like that to someone who was, hours earlier, kissing a third party in their presence?
And then: if he is serious, is this Game? If so: his or my version?
Readers, I find his email uninterpretable; the mind behind it, opaque. Are young men in the habit, these days, of propositioning older women simply because the potential payoff (however diminished when compared with potential mates from within their peer group) outweighs the cost? Or simply because it's a slow night? Or because their stamp collection lacks a cougar?
I don't get it. I don't trust it. And I sure as hell don't know how to respond to the email.
Me, I wasn't particularly aware of this construal of the mating dance as "The Game." Well, no. Better: I thought it was non-zero-sum and more lighthearted; y'know, more of a game? As in, something both parties might enjoy? The point is, through a combination of expatriatude, age, and willful indifference to American pop culture, I seem to have ended up in a position in which the 20-something mind has become utterly mysterious from my perspective. Which is ordinarily, I have to say frankly, neither a great nor pressing problem for me.
However, this evening, K and I went to a gathering we sometimes attend. (And yes, I know: burying the lede again. There will be future posts. For the sake of this anecdote, you need only know this: there is temporary and affectionate cohabitation; there is not coupledom.) And at this gathering, we were convivial a bit (separately); we canoodled a bit (together).
I spent some time chatting with B, who is somewhere in the zone between acquaintance and friend. B is whip-smart, accomplished, and amiable. He is also physical perfection itself, which I say with aesthetic and not lustful appreciation. B is possibly as old as 24.
B was starting to plan travels in a part of the world I'm familiar with, and I casually offered to give him some suggestions once his itinerary shaped up. Later on this evening, there was an email from B asking to take me up on my offer, and confessing his ardent attraction to me.
To which, dear Readers, I must say:
WTF?
I mean, just, really, now: WTF?
Seriously, my first thought was that he must somehow be poking fun at me. Which isn't quite as pathetic as it sounds: B and I have a history of persiflage. He's also very difficult to stop looking at once one starts. Perhaps he caught me lingering, and this was teasing payback?
And then I moved on to: who says something like that to someone who was, hours earlier, kissing a third party in their presence?
And then: if he is serious, is this Game? If so: his or my version?
Readers, I find his email uninterpretable; the mind behind it, opaque. Are young men in the habit, these days, of propositioning older women simply because the potential payoff (however diminished when compared with potential mates from within their peer group) outweighs the cost? Or simply because it's a slow night? Or because their stamp collection lacks a cougar?
I don't get it. I don't trust it. And I sure as hell don't know how to respond to the email.
13 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:47 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:22 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:49 AM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 5:15 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:22 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:06 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:30 PM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 1:11 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:27 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 12:06 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 12:21 PM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 1:01 PM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 1:02 PM
Post a Comment"The Game" is a descendant of the old Usenet "speed seduction" spam that Kia used to make fun of, which, because of a 2005 book of the same name and a reality tv show, somehow made it into the edges of mainstream discourse.
Your younger friend may be playing a game, but he isn't playing "The Game," which involves a great deal of reverse psychology. As for his brazen-ness, my twenty-something once-girlfriend got emails like that from other twenty-somethings surprisingly often while it was quite clear to the senders we were seriously dating. I don't understand that, either.
Congrats on K. Unless you don't want congrats: you should really make it more clear, and your friends will be less confused by the vicissitudes.
No, no, no: no congrats. K was passing through the region and is simply taking a bit of time to help me deal with an unexpected (and unexpectedly savage) breakup. Which, of course, capped a relationship I only got into to help me get over K.
Look: I certainly hope my friends are confused; it means they have an accurate bead on the situation.
Just marry K already, geez. I'm sure he's fucked up and so forth, but so are you and also everyone else on the entire planet. You two obviously still like each other a lot, despite knowing each other well. That's really all you can hope for in this crazy world.
This doesn't sound like "game", which instructs the man to engage in elaborate distancing maneuvers to avoid the appearance of supplicating the woman for sex/affection. (Of course, I haven't read the email...master gamers can retain a superior distance even while asking directly for sex). But generally the naked statement of affection here would indicate that this young man is either A) unusually innocent of "game", B) actually sincere, or C) so confident in his superior youth/beauty/charm that he thinks he can dispense with the effort of gaming you and just ask for your affections.
If you're seriously interested in a lasting relationship with him, then traditional / classic / retrograde female "game" would suggest a coy and somewhat non-responsive answer, followed by many time-consuming non-sexual dating activities. This will allow you to test the sincerity of his desire for a lasting romantic relationship, as opposed to a brief sexual affair. (I'm sure this is no news, as classic female "game" is embedded in the culture and has reached stereotype status). Just throwing that in for contrast, as I'm not a big fan of that advice actually...better just to be honest with all concerned (including yourself) about what you want.
Obviously without context I have no idea if this guy is pulling your chain or not. But as someone who was once advised "older women, kiddo..." (this by an older, alas engaged, female blogger -- as I do with all good advice I responded by doing the opposite and quickly entering into a relationship with someone a year younger than me, with whom I remain happily entangled), I don't find it bizarre that a younger man might legitimately attracted to an older woman.
There many reasons for such an attraction: Appreciating greater maturity, assuming them to be more level-headed, liking someone who is more experienced at life and relationships and with whom he doesn't feel like he has to reinvent the wheel. And for a young man -- even a human Adonis -- the real world can be a scary place. All those qualities become particularly desirable for someone who is young, possibly cut off from his support structures, and about to step into something new: exciting but unknown. In such a context, maybe you're not looking for a fellow 23 year old who is going through the exact same things and is as unsure as you are.
Hence, my hunch, expressed simply, is: you still got it goin' on, girl.
It doesn't sound to me as though he's playing any games, but I would be careful not to read too much into his e-mail (knowing neither him nor the contents of the e-mail). I have confessed my attraction to several people (mostly men) over the course of my life, but it hasn't always been with the intention of taking it any further (or with the hope that the other party will take it further).
Sometimes you just want to say, "I like you soooooooo much" just to let the other person know how you feel. I see it as a bonding thing on B's part.
Hi, came here accidentally, but I thought you may be interested in some more info about "the game".
"The game" is a bestelling story by NY Times writer Neil Strauss, who spent 2 years in what may be described as a social-skill self-help community of men who are overwhelmed by the current mating "game" (but know that admitting this would reduce their self-confidence and perceived mating status).
Here's a link to what I think is the first scientific approach to this movement - the thesis of a female University of Texas student of American studies and gender studies, Elana Clift - it's called "Picking up and acting out - politics of masculinity in the Seduction Community".
https://webspace.utexas.edu/ejc329/ElanaCliftThesis.pdf?uniq=-wk7fye
Your acquaintance's/friend's email is not indicative of him "playing" the game. Moreover, if he is as forthcoming as you say, he may be a damaged 20-something, but not one who needs advice on how to overcome approach anxiety or communicate sexual interest... which is what most of "the game" is about.
John -
Thanks. This is, however, so not what the aforementioned male blogger is writing about, unless you just accidentally forgot to mention the massive amounts of hatred and rape ideology. Not that that's what I think B is up to, either, of course. I'm just referring to the aversive aura of "ha ha, made you do something you weren't supposed to want to do," which clings to even the weaker forms of said gaming.
Italo -
Welcome back. You would go for the awww hypothesis. Very sweet.
David -
Also ;-)
(And the "older women" thing is quite possibly the only piece of advice -- or, really, anything -- that PG and I might agree on.)
Marcus -
A lasting relationship? Oh, my. No.
More comments left on that other blog. (My parents and siblings don't read that one.)
Oh, I'm sure you and PG would become fast friends, and over more than merely trying to sabotage my relationship with Jill. You just got off on the wrong fool. She's really a lovely woman.
Also -- other blog? Where's the URL for it (shoot me an email, if you'd like).
E -
you have an interesting style, I just had a look around... always good to find new blogs worth reading :)
"ha ha, made you do something you weren't supposed to want to do,"
Well, there's the good, the bad, and the ugly. I don't think what you outlined is a very popular position though. Some of the more popular "gurus" even use previously explicitly feminist ideas to explain women to the partly truly clueless men asking for their advice - if you discount their marketing lingo and menspeak.
I think it's an important realization for some people that it's possible to learn some social skills to improve one's social life by actively working for it, and even apply the skills and the improved concept of themselves towards one of the most important goals of all of us, finding a happy relationship. But of course, as most things in life - it's dual use.
One of the better blogs about this can be found at http://aproachanxiety.com. It's also written by a Jewish New Yorker, I think ;)
I think I'll be back, I think - J
John -
It's a shame that I can't link to the original blog (of the troglodyte, not of the woman who reminded me about his existence), but (1) it's sort of a black hole of narcissism, and I don't wish to feed it, and (2) the trackback would be like drawing a pentagram on the floor -- all manner of foul creatures would be called forth into this comment thread, and I really don't want to sully my own blog like that. Suffice it to say that I really don't think you'd agree with this guy. By all means: let there be improved social skills (and let it begin with me).
David -
You know I'm going to steal and use that "got off on the wrong fool" comment -- if I don't use it right away, as a sort of summarizing epitaph of my relationship with A2. But, then, I was also a big fan of your "virginal bridges" blog post. ;-)
Can't speak for PG (if I have learned nothing else, I have learned this: I can't speak for PG), but I am so very pro-Jill. You've got a bit of a Pascalian wager in front of you. You might as well proceed as if this is Your Big Ticket, because: (1) if it is, fantastic! So far ahead of the game. And, (2)if it isn't, there's really no cost involved. In this case, it's because you've got scads of time (peak playing-the-field years are between 27 and 32), and, in fact, the best thing you could do while waiting (if life indeed ultimately takes you down that path) is to get your relationship-training out of the way.
I'd be surprised if you didn't already read the other woman's blog, but I'll send you the link.
*Groan*
My typos will be my undoing. But at least they tend to be hilarious.
(I'm very pro-Jill too :-D )
Oh, speaking of which, I hope you named your new blog "Crackpot Chrestomathy" like you promised.
<< Home