Nope, I got nuthin'
Clinton did better than I feared she might, but I'm annoyed that nothing more concrete came of the evening. I do think the conventional wisdom that superdelegates are pro-Clinton is worryingly unfounded; endorsements, especially from labor unions or, god help us, Gore, could easily rewrite what's seen as the "safe" vote. In some ways, I'd rather see things settled before August, even against my candidate, than to have it all come down to a divisive fight over the status of the Florida and Michigan delegates.
I'm also vindicated -- horrified, but vindicated -- in my prediction that Huckabee wasn't over. My nightmare scenario is now that McCain will be forced to pick someone Huckabeesque (if not actually Huckabee) as Veep, will edge out the Dems (a particular risk, I think, if Obama is the candidate), and then die. Hello, Canadian Civil Service.
Lots happening on the personal front -- a potpourri post is long overdue -- but I'm hopelessly overextended, exhausted, and sneezing at a rate that's a couple of standard deviations away from healthy (though I'm not yet prepared to call it for "sick").
I'm also vindicated -- horrified, but vindicated -- in my prediction that Huckabee wasn't over. My nightmare scenario is now that McCain will be forced to pick someone Huckabeesque (if not actually Huckabee) as Veep, will edge out the Dems (a particular risk, I think, if Obama is the candidate), and then die. Hello, Canadian Civil Service.
Lots happening on the personal front -- a potpourri post is long overdue -- but I'm hopelessly overextended, exhausted, and sneezing at a rate that's a couple of standard deviations away from healthy (though I'm not yet prepared to call it for "sick").
6 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 8:07 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 12:03 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:27 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:04 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 10:50 PM
-
Ted Frank said...
-
- 7:03 AM
Post a CommentIf McCain chooses Huckabee (or Huckabee wannabe) as VP, are 527 groups going to (1) zoom in on the obvious "McCain is 71 ... do you want a creationist as your backup?" and (2) succeed in an endeavor to discredit the VP, irrespective of the age issue?
Curious for your thoughts.
I'm not sure the majority of Americans would object to having a creationist in office. (Actually, I think you already know that and are just rubbing it in about living in the UK.) And, unfortunately, among those who do disagree -- outside a narrow constituency of educators -- I'm not sure a majority would consider it a dealbreaker if the candidate otherwise promised to look after their financial interests.
I wasn't trying to rub it in, although -- now that you mention it -- I do love how even the Tories here think that Tony Blair (Tony Blair!) is some sort of Jesus freak. The media coverage of his decision to convert to bog-standard Roman Catholicism was surprisingly extensive.
Do you think that the 527 groups agree with your assessment? If so, from what angle do you think they'll try to discredit Huckabee, if they bother trying that at all?
I'm afraid I'm going to have to weigh in with the E-Person. For those of you who are too young to remember what 'Generation X' was, the first President Bush had a VEEP that was a much bigger prick than Huckabee--and I'm not kidding. There was one memorable interview of Quayle on his bus, visiting Bumville or Fritters or Hooterville Junction, and Nina Totenberg (I think it was Nina) was asking Danny Boy about Danny's plan to MAKE school kids say the Pledge of Allegence. Danny said that we should have FEDERAL legislation, because there were MANY states that already had that law on the books. Nina says 'Well...Um...Okay, but you do know that such a law would be unconstitutional...' And Danny says 'Huh? Then what about all those states that have the law on their books?' And Nina says 'Those states do not enforce the law. If they tried to enforce the law, the law would be struck down.' And Danny sez (I am NOT making this up) 'Oh.'
NOTE TO E's NIECE: Stop reading here.
What a dick.
NOTE TO E's NIECE: Feel free to continue reading (I think).
And yet, Amerika (sic) picked Poppy Bush and Danny over Mike 'I'm no liberal!' Dukakis and Lloyd 'Contra-man' Bensen....So, if Danny Quayle can get elected VP (my vote for the WORST VP since Cactus Jack Gardner), then pretty much any maroon (cf Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd) can be VEEP. And with Clarence Thomas, there is no such thing as 'Too damn lazy and stupid to be a Supreme Court Justice.'
Oh, and I don't want to hear any wisenheimer chime in about how wasn't Dukakis's running mate Willie Horton.......
I remain:
Dangerous close to 'non-entertaining.'
Bill Abendroth
billaben@teleport.com
No wait---I change my mind. Spiro 'the Big Fat Zero' Agnew was a worse VEEP than Potatoehead (sic)Quayle...
'Phile:
I don't have a strong inkling on this one, but I suspect the 527's would go after McCain rather than any version of Huckabee -- their emotive appeals work better, I think, when the candidate is seen as volatile, angry, or aloof, and risk backfiring when the candidate is warm and affable, even when he's a science-illiterate freak. Plus, Americans still really don't vote the Veep, which is why it remains such a dangerous back door.
Thomas lazy and stupid? Well, Clarence Thomas was black; bigoted racial stereotyping is about the only reason I can imagine someone would criticize him for being "lazy and stupid," since it certainly isn't supported by the facts.
<< Home