The Icarus effect
The pundits tell us that a drawn-out campaign benefits Obama more than Clinton: when one candidate is more cuddly, Charisma x Time = Votes. Me, I'm thinking we might be seeing the wave crest -- and recede -- not because of anything Obama's doing, really, but because any movement that builds a rabid core tends to displace moderate adherents. This essay sounds the warning nicely, and I've seen other similar sentiments recently. The fanatics won't get the well-advised grip, of course, because that's the nature of fanaticism.
I'll get back to writing about the cats soon, I promise.
I'll get back to writing about the cats soon, I promise.
4 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:23 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:17 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 10:54 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 3:15 AM
Post a CommentNot to name-drop or anything, but the guy who runs TPM *and* the guy who runs right-of-center realclearpolitics.com (which I disdain visiting, because I know he's getting money for the ads that appear on the site, but which I visit anyway because the poll information is so well organized) were in my university graduating class.
This completely self-serving comment was brought to you by my ego.
You know--I am pretty much out of the loop on this kind of thing...But isn't the purpose of name dropping to impress people? As in 'Oh yeah...I went to Costco the other day to buy cat litter..with my wife MORGAN FAIRCHILD--whom I've seen NAKED!' As opposed to something like 'Both the guys who run TPM *and* realclearpolitics were in my graduating class,' which makes most people stare at you, like a dog you've just shown a card trick to.
I'm just asking here.
I remain:
Ever respectful of nieces.
Bill Abendroth
Bill,
Since I wanted an "AS SEEN ON ANDREW SULLIVAN" t-shirt (well, until his misogynist shrieking became unbearable, anyway), I'm really not a good person to ask.
-E.
'Phile,
You LSE guys are all so snooty. :-P
-E.
Oh, yes, I can't wait to name-drop after my ten-month, largely solitary confinement in admittedly the BEST social-science library in the UK.
Snooty, yep. Nerdy, def.
<< Home