On the lighter side...
My favorite pizza place, Smokin' Joe's, has released a new home-delivery menu to celebrate the opening of their new fast-food Chinese outlet, Smokin' Lee's. Pizzas are now available with things like bamboo shoots and waterchestnuts (though, fortunately, my favorite, tandoori paneer, is still there).
The very best part of the new menu is the large and colorful announcement of the specials:
"NEW! CHINKY CHOMP PIZZA!"
Incidentally, as we are now without kitchen equipment, K and I have also sampled Smokin' Lee's. It wasn't bad, though it didn't come with fortune cookies, and I was rather hoping for one of the "You are going on a big trip" variety. The omission led to a discussion of whether fortune cookies have to be culturally specific in their predictions. We concluded that they didn't have to be, but it would be neat if they were, with the favorite contender for a Mumbai message -- out of a field of many -- "You will step in something you wish you hadn't."
The very best part of the new menu is the large and colorful announcement of the specials:
"NEW! CHINKY CHOMP PIZZA!"
Incidentally, as we are now without kitchen equipment, K and I have also sampled Smokin' Lee's. It wasn't bad, though it didn't come with fortune cookies, and I was rather hoping for one of the "You are going on a big trip" variety. The omission led to a discussion of whether fortune cookies have to be culturally specific in their predictions. We concluded that they didn't have to be, but it would be neat if they were, with the favorite contender for a Mumbai message -- out of a field of many -- "You will step in something you wish you hadn't."
2 Comments:
-
Emily said...
-
- 6:17 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:06 AM
Post a CommentWhen my parents lived in Japan, my dad would often have lunch in the IBM cafeteria in Yamato. The daily specials were posted in Japanese (of course) and something that bore some small resemblance to English. One day he went downstairs to find that the feature of the day was
CRAD
CRESW
CROGUETLE
"Crad" has become an all-purpose expletive in the Krapsnart household.
(Dad said the crab croquettes weren't very good.)
I almost died laughing at my desk (at work, of course -- these things are always funnier when not in the privacy of one's own home) about Chinky Chomp Pizza.
I was resuscitated just in time to click on the comments, whereupon I proceeded to almost-die a second time at crad croguetles. (Is "cresw" supposed to be "fresh"?)
<< Home