Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Wanderlost

Another bizarre change as I get older is that it takes me longer to get out from under the spell of movies. I've always been a bit susceptible -- show me even a Mamet trailer, and I'll be talking like that for hours -- but lately, the lingering has been more on the order of a day or two.

We saw Babel tonight. I'd heard it was "good, not great," and I suppose I'd agree with that, though I might nudge the needle a bit more in the "great" direction. It was like an elegant short story -- a bit counterintuitive for such a long movie, I know, but I mean it in the sense that every element had a purpose. Never mind that the scope was larger than most films, it was still a grand tale told economically.

The movie's impact has me in a kind of emotional tractor beam that I suspect will last for a while, despite the ministrations of home-delivered ice cream (oh, how I'll miss that) and a nightcap of precious smuggled Oregon pinot noir. On Rotten Tomatoes, the movie did surprisingly badly for being so good. Setting aside the well-deserved snark of David Denby (and the fact that, normally, all Denby's byline means to me is "shoot! No Anthony Lane!"), I gotta ask all these reviewers complaining about the film's fatalism and putative melodrama: have you ever lived in the developing world? Lives are interconnected. Life is that fragile. People don't put warning signs in front of the piranha tank. My decision to go back to Washington has serious repercussions for our trusted (after some initial misgivings...) driver and his whole family, when the only replacement job we can find for him is with an American co-worker who turns out to be astonishingly cupiditous, smiling nicely to us and then forcing absolutely cutthroat terms on him (and them with a dual income!). An indigent widow's random decision to unwind her bandage just then (hopefully) allows her to keep her foot.

I mean, stop me before I start singing New York minute..., but here's the thing: the expat experience, the journey of dislocation, is most noticeable on the first day, or perhaps the first through fourteenth days, the tenure of the average backpacker and the reason why all of them seem to have bought time-shares in the same, solitary threadbare epiphany, which they pass around like their junior-year bong. But it doesn't stop there. You don't just adapt to things and then you're done, even if the cultural adjustment chart does cruelly and misleadingly posit a tortuous journey to Happily Ever After Land. Well, wake up and smell the chai, chart-makers: that's one land you can never, ever get more than a visitor visa for (and, even then, the list of required inoculations is breathtaking).

Being an expat is very different on day 120, and again on day 428, and continues in a lesser vein on day 1300 and even again on day 1301. At or around day 320, or your third country, whichever comes first, you begin to realize, in a deep and disturbing way, the utter contingency of your own safe-as-houses upbringing which, up to this point, has carried the reassuring ring of logical necessity. That home-country road sign, with its soothingly familiar font, the Platonic ideal of "speed limit 35," might easily have been otherwise. Even worse, your country's version is not the original template that all others clumsily ape. In the strangely disquieting decontextualization you start to internalize, all versions are on an equal footing.

Sure, silly example -- though, trust me, it can still freak a person out -- but what about day 482, when you realize that your home country's nannification (Do Not Place Bag Over Head; Caution! Small Parts Are A Choking Hazard; Stay Back From Edge) is the exception and not the rule, globally speaking? That's when you start to grok this movie.

There are larger trends, too; strong tidal currents underneath the day-by-day foam of individual datapoints. I think this is the reason why so many people quite happily live overseas for large blocks of time, and then suddenly -- ahem -- just absolutely, positively, just can't take it a day longer. For me, India bears a large part of that attribution of responsibility, of course, but a nontrivial amount comes from the accumulation of my developing nation expatriatude -- the gradual, constant erosion of the illusion of safety, security, and non-fragility, until the raw nerve of mortality is exposed to the air.

An on-again off-again British friend of mine (who I don't think reads this any longer, but I guess we'll find out), much smarter than me and thus given to gnomic pronouncements, once declared that no one ought to travel. At the time, I dismissed it as part of the 30 percent of stuff that P says that can't possibly be taken seriously (usually, not even by P). Babel's Moroccan scenes resonated with me frighteningly, and not only because they utterly confirmed that the tiny and repellent slice of the country I experienced in Tangiers was not aberrant. It's dangerous out (t)here, and all the more so for those who never get physically injured. I reserve the right to change my mind a year from now -- or, for that matter, tomorrow -- but, for the moment, I'm with P: let us cultivate our garden.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially as one gets older, one finds there's alot to be said for gardening!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This resonated with me completely, but I wonder whether I am not just a curmudgeon at a far-too-early age. We returned from four days with the in-laws after four months in New York and the thing that made me happiest was D's turning to me as we landed at Stansted to say, "What say we don't leave the country for several months?"

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS I realize now (several hours later; funny how the subconscious mind works) that your point was not so much the "pull of home" but rather the "pull of a place where you feel physically safe" -- whether that's "home" or another developed-world country. I can relate to your statements, but because my own developing-world experiences are intentionally very limited, it's probably not fair to say that your comments "completely resonated" with me.

Your observations summarize one of the reasons I get so infuriated when people say, "We can't even take care of our people at home; why should we be sending aid to other countries?" Poverty can be grinding on the council estates, but it is rarely a life-or-death struggle.

More to your point, I'll never forget the time a former colleague came back from Cuba and said he hated being asked for money by the locals all the time. "They don't realise that it's your holiday and you don't want to be harassed." I was bemused not because I thought he should have given handouts, but rather because I am pretty sure it never occurred to him that only a tiny portion of the world's population gets to go on holiday in the first place.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PPS I'm not trying to make you feel bad (I promise) or delegate a responsibility that isn't mine to delegate, but I admit that I am sad to read that you are "with P" (even if it is just for now). You have the intelligence, empathy, pluck and healthy skepticism that it takes to change the world. I hope you will still do so!

10:02 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Italophile 1: "...inlaws"! Was there an invitation that got lost in the mail? Very glad to hear it, at any rate.

Italophile 2: It's easy to dismiss people who complain about "being hassled" as heartless bastards. But it's hard to put across exactly what a hassle it is -- how it can make you feel as though you can't step outside -- and how unrelated to charity it is. With some notable exceptions near the tourist spots, the begging style in Chiang Mai was more subdued. The bridge that was part of my daily (walking) commute to work was a prime spot for a rotating set of indigent folks, and it all worked pretty efficiently: they sat in place and wordlessly held up a cup, one dropped in some coins, one was nodded at, one moved on. And, generally, I'd stop each evening and disburse the loose baht I'd accumulated throughout the day.

I don't do that here -- ever -- and I don't, because (a) I can't predict what will happen; generally, when K gives, we're instantly surrounded by more people, and the person he gave to starts making more urgent and aggressive demands. It's bordered on mob-like, and once we had to hop into a taxi to escape, with the throng pushing in through the open window, like something from Dawn of the Dead (well, Shawn of the Dead, at any rate).
(b) Because I live here and have to deal with the environment I help to create, I don't want to operantly condition the confrontational approaches I encounter.

I suspect that where tourism is low, Chiang Mai-style begging has a chance to flourish. Where it's high, or where Westerners are only ever seen as tourists even when they're not, the harass-them-into-giving style works because there's a constant wave of fresh rubes who mistakenly think that a few rupees will buy them hassle-free passage. Meanwhile, because the individual beggars are rewarded on a one-hippie-one-handout basis, they never have the opportunity to discover they might actually reap more money with a lower-key strategy.

Italophile 3: Feh. I mean, thanks, but feh.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's likely a collective-action tipping point in the game theory; if enough beggars are aggressive such that the passive beggars lose out, then the passive beggars have to adopt a strategy of aggressiveness. In general, aggressive beggars will increase the returns to themselves at the cost of returns to the class of beggars as a whole; unless the police (or social norms imposed by the community of beggars) take steps to impose order by punishing aggressiveness such that it's no longer a profitable strategy, the individual actors will cause the situation to deteriorate.

New York City had plenty of aggressive beggars in the pre-Giuliani era, and San Francisco does today; it's less overwhelming, because there aren't mobs of homeless beggars (except for the Toy District in LA, thanks to the Ninth Circuit), but aggressive begging certainly exists in the West where it's tolerated by the government.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops -- "in-laws" was being used figuratively. We're not the marrying (or even domestic-partnership-registering) kind, at least not at this point.

I understand your feh response. Doesn't change my view.

BTW, there is a major reunion for our alma mater this autumn; if you want details, I can put you in touch with a certain person (KD, nee KE). E-mail me separately.

4:05 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Ted: um, didn't you just restate what I said with more jargon? Just asking, not sniping, especially as there's a non-zero probability you just bought me a book (or will now).

But you assume that aggressive beggars increase returns to themselves, and my point was that, in circumstances allowing iterative encounters, passive beggars will actually do better. Aggressive beggars know they'll do better with one-off tourists; my grouse is that I could never shed the label of tourist even if I spent a lifetime (shudder) here (while born-and-bred UK Indians, here for two hours and much wealthier than me, get off scot-free. It's racism).

And it's really cute that you think SF beggars are "aggressive."

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've only spent a few nights in San Francisco, but I can't help but think of the beggar there who started shouting "fucking kike" at me a millisecond before I meant to turn around and buy him a sandwich.

The blog entry was a suggestion, rather than a purchase, but maybe the classification can change in November, since I don't have any place to send a book now.

5:53 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

T, I'd call that an abusive beggar. For "aggressive," in this context, I suppose I should substitute "insanely persistent." The usual scenario -- and, for all of this, assume that a polite "no" or "sorry" in English or in Hindi, either once or a thousand times, is utterly useless -- is for one or more to approach you, wheedling in a chant-like way while grabbing at your arm or hand, and then follow about two inches behind for the next mile and a half, occasionally poking your side or back, and continuing the hectoring nonstop at an ever-increasing volume. Other favorite tactics include interspersing themselves between you and your walking companion(s), preventing all conversation, or the one that really makes me crazy: planting themselves directly in front of you, so you have to step to the side to avoid running into them, and then immediately running around back in front of you and planting themselves again, so you end up walking down the street in alternating diagonals. In addition to zombied imploring/shrieking, some will stick out their arms while doing this, effectively preventing you from walking down the street at all. In those situations, I'm generally left with grabbing the shoulders of the beggar, steering them around behind me, and physically propelling them away, but I've never been able to do it without (1) getting a bit of a shaky adrenaline burst, (2) thinking that I'd probably never be able to finish my tour here without smuggling in a taser, (3) wanting to learn how to say in Marathi "your misery is not my fault," and, (4) wondering whether it is.

1:19 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home