Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Now noticeably more seaworthy!

Even though I still can't drive -- ethically, if not legally -- I'm proud to report I've passed my skipper licensing with flying colors. Sailing is great. If you think about it, it's a far better approximation of bird flight than is flying in an airplane (and in my bizarre little Esquiver mind, of course, "bird flight" is one of only about a dozen irreducibly awesome things in the world). My only area of demerit was in the "crew overboard" drill (note to any and all potential crew: don't fall overboard), but in all other skill sets I did swimmingly, so to speak.

If only this had any practical application.

Speaking of useless things, now that I'm not spending every spare moment practicing sailing, K and I are attempting to turn raw planks of cheap pine into a high bed frame that can be used to hide the many things we can't find room for in the apartment but can't bring myself to throw out. So far, it's highly risible, in the how-many-humanities-grads-does-it-take-to-truly-understand-a-lightbulb sense. We're spending approximately three hours discussing design, hypothetical force vectors, and the Platonic nature of the materials for every fifteen minutes spent placing woodscrews in at a bad slant. And yesterday evening, having done the theoretical walkthrough, the preconstruction discussion, and even the preconstruction prediscussion, I triumphantly located, excavated, and flourished the drill....only to discover it was British. 240V, the funny plug, the whole nine meters. That snickering at Home Depot...they might not overtly be jeering about Theory versus Praxis, but I'm picking up the subtext, you know what I'm saying?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious! And this reminds me -- I am definitely going to be in the D.C. area over Labor Day weekend, so if you need a home for that drill, I could probably put it in my checked luggage.

And if you need a home for any of the other stuff that you can't bring yourself to throw out, can I recommend Freecycle.org? An amazing service!

I am a packrat, on the principle that those 47 old, unused, and perfectly good greeting-card envelopes will be useful to me someday. But the Italian insists that "someday" be some more-or-less specific day in the next three weeks.

Freecycle allows me to get rid of this stuff and I've already met two nice guys. Imagine: my first straight male friends in London after nearly 6 years here. Naturally, they are not British.

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. I broke my bed in December and haven't fixed it yet, making my bedroom unusable. I thought my aerospace/mechanical engineer was supposed to help me with such things - especially since he was every bit as responsible as I for the original breakage. Thank goodness for my guest bedroom. Despite my lack of handiness, I do have a drill you could use.
-Shani

8:59 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Italophile: You're welcome to stay with me (always), but you can't have my drill. Never know when I'll be living in a 240V country again. And, hey, I'm building the perfect place in which to stash it in the meanwhile.

Helpful household hint: I always keep my unused greeting card envelopes in a folder -- separate from the folder with unused greeting cards, natch -- locked away in my filing cabinet, so K can't tease me about them.

I've been a freecycle member since we got back. A very nice straight man (and his progeny) in our demographic niche rid us of our moving boxes, but nothing really blossomed.

10:13 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Shani: So much for "quietly proud," eh? :-)

10:14 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

ps Thanks for the drill offer. K got a cordless one, charged it up, discovered it was too puny, exchanged it for a more powerful one, and discovered, strangely, that it, too, can't get through both pieces of wood. This has induced such a crisis in our metaphysics (so carefully deployed!) that the semi-assembled frame is temporarily shoved into a corner to have a good long think about what it's done.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I could have really used a drill.

Thanks for your invitation. I might take you up on it (Saturday, 1st Sept, if you're around then).

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE SONG: I AND THOU (by Alan Dugan)

Nothing is plumb, level or square:
the studs are bowed, the joists
are shaky by nature, no piece fits
any other piece without a gap
or pinch, and bent nails
dance all over the surfacing
like maggots. By Christ
I am no carpenter. I built
the roof for myself, the walls
for myself, the floors
for myself, and got
hung up in it myself. I
danced with a purple thumb
at this house-warming, drunk
with my prime whiskey: rage.
Oh, I spat rage's nails
into the frame-up of my work:
it held. It settled plumb,
level, solid, square and true
for that great moment. Then
it screamed and went on through,
skewing as wrong the other way.
God damned it. This is hell,
but I planned it, I sawed it,
I nailed it, and I
will live in it until it kills me.
I can nail my left palm
to the left-hand crosspiece but
I can't do everything myself.
I need a hand to nail the right,
a help, a love, a you, a wife.

2:52 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Although I wish to go on record as unequivocally encouraging the spontaneous recitation of any and all forms of poetry, for any reason, on this blog at any and all times, I remain mystified as to whether you're being whimsical, or proposing.

In either event, I'm intrigued.

9:10 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home