Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunday night potpourri

We recuperated this weekend with a lot of movies, which was also an attempt to distract me from my bad mood: Hot Fuzz, which I liked much better than Shaun of the Dead, but still not crazy about; The Last King of Scotland, which I loved -- what's not to like in a movie in which one male lead does an incredible acting job and the other is my fav from the Beeb's awesome series Shameless (playing, granted, pretty much the same character, but it's one I like)?

We also went to see No End in Sight, which wasn't so good for the bad mood, but well worth seeing. I don't think that anyone who follows the news will learn anything new from it, but it's useful to have the discrete points of information arranged within a narrative sweep, and, I thought, the film wisely refrained from too much Moore-type histrionics* (there was a little). As someone casting about for a job, it did strike me that the criteria for, say, becoming the managing editor of a mid-circ weekly are much more stringent than for the people undertaking far more important and sensitive tasks (i.e., the newly-minted G'town grad asked to design a traffic plan for Baghdad...to say nothing of all the non-Arabists in leadership roles). It's the kind of opportunism I associate with either developing nations or past historical periods, and it shouldn't be possible in Friedman's "flat world." It's not as though the necessary expertise doesn't exist in the US; it simply wasn't -- and to a large degree, still isn't being -- brought to bear. In cognitive psychology terms, that isn't a deficit in substance; it's an error in the retrieval system, and usually indicates a problem with the executive function. So to speak.

(*"many histrionics" or "much histrionics"? Google is nearly equally divided on usage, and I couldn't find anything more targeted and prescriptive. Anyone?)

K and I then got into a surprisingly heated argument over future Iraq policy. I mean, on our first date, we argued fiercely about Burma, so not so much a problem for us, but he's actually a keener analyst than me, so I just ended up more depressed, because he's probably got a more accurate bead on what will really happen. I think I can go into greater detail on this, if there's interest; it isn't even close to my area of professional responsibility.

Speaking of which, I spent a good chunk of time on Saturday exploring a wide range of career possibilities. Being a collegiate Study Abroad Advisor or Director of International Programs looks very possible. The pay is appalling, but the hours and semester breaks are such that it could keep me in ramen while I attempted to work the freelance thing on the side. Monster.com listed RISD and a university in Oklahoma as currently hiring in that area. I think I'll hold out for the University of Hawaii.

Also, epidemiology. No, seriously: I love systems; I love macro perspectives; there seems to be an exception for statistics in my math nonability (I'm fine with numbers tied to real things); despite my misanthropy, I'd actually like to do something more of use to humanity than my current profession (not difficult; retail sales would be a step up on that criterion). Berkeley has a two-year program for non-MDs that I'm mulling over. (Anyone know any actual epidemiologists? I can't say I've met one. Are they happy with the field?)

And then this morning looked like a fine autumn day, so...more biking! Down to Mount Vernon. I was more into the ride and the bargaining chit for strongarming K into seeing Merrily We Roll Along later this week than the actual idea of Mount Vernon, but we both ended up getting into the cheesiness of the whole thing. (One big disappointment: no animatronics. My god, if a place ever cried out more for animatronics...)

We stayed longer than anticipated, and ended up starving by the time we half-rode/half-metroed (when it started getting dark) home, so we were unable to resist an as-yet untried Ethiopian place, La Dama, near Navy Annex on Columbia Pike. In short: recommended. The place was completely packed, and we were the only non-Ethiopians there. The service was a little...odd. After the server explained, with some communication difficulties, that both our first choices were unavailable, and after we rejected her suggestion of another item with the explanation that we were looking for veg dishes, she said "ah," took our menus, and walked away. Er...you don't serve vegetarians? (Too stringy?) The results were fine, though. Ok: in truth, several dishes were served cold; two were ice-cold. We were entirely too hungry to have food set down only to be taken away again. In fact, even cold, the food was spicy and delicious. I fully intend to return soon, order the original dishes we wanted, and be prepared to be firm about the food temperature. I mean, if it was that good under those conditions...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I'd go with "much histrionics" under the parallel with "politics" ("all histrionics is local" does sound weird though).

2. I owe my year in Heidelberg (planned and finalized in around a week in answer to the "am I too late to sign up for anything" challenge I presented, most definitely too late) to the Director of International Programs at the University of Oklahoma, which is indeed a beautiful campus in [a bleak part of] my native state. But I don't know if that's the one that's hiring.

3. Kate and I know people in that show. When are you planning to go?

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also: not that it's too much use to someone who doesn't drive, but if you find yourself hungry for Ethiopian food in DC you'd have a hard time doing better than either Dukem (on U St at 12th NW) or Etete (9th St NW just south of U), both near U Street/Cardozo Metro. Mrs. and Mr. Krapsnart and I had a lovely fish-is-a-vegetable dinner at Dukem, and Kate and I thoroughly enjoyed all our veggies at Etete (although being a veg you'll miss out on the kitfo, which is sublime).

7:57 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

1. Ya, I agree (obviously). But then I found I wanted to say "there were a little," rather than "there was a little," and, hence, the quandary.

1a. *My* histrionics are rarely local.

2. It wasn't UOK. It was some strange beast like, I think, "The University of Oklahoma City." Is there one? (University, I mean, not OC, though I just got a great idea for a new TV show...) Anyway, I've now mentally traded that job in for an advertised student advising position in Bio at Cornell, despite (1) don't know much about biol-o-gy, and, (2) brrr. As for epidemiology, I've now mentally completed the coursework, enjoyed my first five years of work, and am now looking for more of a creative challenge and a bit of a career change.

3. Not sure. K's very tepid on the plan, and I made the mistake of obviously enjoying Mount Vernon too much to have much martyr cred.

And on the Ethiopian: nuh-uh. Well, I mean -- maybe. But Steve took us to one of those two places (I forget which) some months ago, and they forgot to put in the spices.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Epidemiology? I thought you were afraid of bugs...

I hated 'Last King.' I mean, not just merely hated it, but really, truly & sincerely hated it....I have a heavy bias against movies about dramatic, serious world-changing events that happen to third world peoples (sic), but the third world people are merely backdrop to the lives & loves of western europeans and/or Americans vis a vi getting it on in exotic locales. I bought it (the movie, not the premise), so you're welcome to my copy. Instead of renting movies, I wait for promising ones to go on sale at the video store for like seven bucks--assuming I'll watch them more than three times. But after 'Last King,' 'Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada,' and 'Babel,' I think I'm going back to renting first, buying later. Readers of the Esquivalience version of 'My World and Welcome to it' can have any or all of the above, just for shipping costs. Of course, my griping has only reenforced the rumour that the only movies I enjoy are 'Chisholm '72--Unbought and Unbossed,' 'Running on the Sun--The Badwater Ultramarathon,' or star Daffy Duck. Oh yeah, I also saw the third 'Pirates' movie and 'Underdog' in the theater--I *am* a good uncle. 'Pirates' was just too long and loud...and my niece's friends were apalled that I loudly hissed the ads for military recruitment (at least I didn't boo. Next time, I will). My niece (who loves me) did feel compelled to point out that 1) we were in Salem, Oregon and 2) it *was* Memorial Day Weekend--but as the Es-woman is fond of pointing out: Only she knows what I wimp I really am.

And Underdog was almost completely offensive (I'd explain why, but I'm already on Double Secret Probation for low entertainment value. Let me just say that I've had it with Disney movies about dead mothers and irreconciable dad-kid issues, yet everyone suddenly lives happiy ever after for no reason that I can garner...See above re movies about Shirley Chisholm).

Finally, I am VERY intested in Joseph the K's views on Iraq. I have strong views (now there's a shocker), but mine have been colored by the following: Ricks's 'Fiasco,' Scheuer's 'Imperial Hubris,' Allawi's 'Occupation of Iraq: Winning the War, Losing the Peace,' and especially Fallows's 'Blind into Baghdad' and Chandrasekaran's 'Imperial Life in the Emerald City.' You want to get a brain aneurysm? In 'Emerald,' there's the White House B.S. artist lying flack apparachniki (to use value neutral, non-judmental expressions) James 'Jimmy the Weasel-Genitalia' O'Beirne (taking a page from Monica G at 'Justice') who hired for CPA purely on political correctness. How correct? Bremer Hussein (sic) wanted ten go-fers for administrative tasks. BOOM! they were available, but none of the ten new college grads had applied--but they discovered something in common: all had sent resumes to the Heritage Foundation. But wait, there's more! The C.P.A. (as in 'Can't Produce Anything') had such a personnel shortage that six of the ten were assigned to manage Iraq's $13 billion budget, sans ANY previous financial-management experience. D'OH! No points if you guessed that they were nicknamed the 'Brat Pack.'

My personal opinion? The situation in & around Iraq is worse than you could possibly imagine--regardless of how good your imagination is.

I remain--
Out of the Closet.
Bill Abendroth nee Roth

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this was the other Ethiopian place that you mentioned? (The one we didn't go to ...)

And who is "fedward" who knows the Krapsnarts?

4:11 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Italophile:

Er, yeah. Hey, I'd heard good things about the place we went, and didn't even realize the other one did more than lunch.

Next time.

Fedward is a nice guy who took us to see a polka band when we were still jetlagged. Which is a pretty surreal experience.

(Oh, and Feds: we ended up seeing Merrily tonight on a culturalalliance.org whim. To be honest, I had some issues with it, but I'll hold off until I know which one was your friend.) (Though if it was the Company gal who conducted the fateful TV interview -- and I'm guessing it was; she looked familiar -- I thought she was quite good and should've had a larger role.)

11:12 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home