Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I am my secretary

Dateline: Mumbai, 1 PM

My direct line rings.

"Hello?"

"Yes, this is Laxmi Mehta, and I would like to invite Mr. Esquiver to a reception next week."

"This is Esquiver speaking. Thanks for the invitation -- what's the reception for?"

"Ma'am, could I just have his email address, please?"

"Whose?"

"Mr. Esquiver's."

"Ah. This is Esquiver. Not a mister, as you can hear. Ha, ha. So, anyway, what can I do for you?"

"Ma'am , could you just tell him please that we would like to invite him on the 24th...."

3 Comments:

Blogger esquiver said...

Incidentally, I did finally succeed in convincing her that I was Esquiver, but it took a while. By that time, I have to admit, I rather curtly turned down the invitation and rang off.

Here's what I have to imagine happened next:

Laxmi's colleague: "I guess you kind of screwed that one up, huh?"

Laxmi: "Oh, come on! Like it was my fault! I mean, he had this really high voice, you know?"

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Hope you had a happy (29th?)birthday,too :)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have told them that Esquiver is the really tall guy (In addition to having a high voice)...

1:42 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home