On a not unrelated note...
Later that same night, and not too long after we finally reached the house after a long argument with the taxi driver (we live near a landmark; I generally tell the taxi driver the name of the landmark and stop him at our building before we reach it; this guy was adamant about taking us all the way to the landmark and saving us from our obvious ignorance of not knowing where the landmark, our stated destination, was...):
K and I decided to bag the Rajasthan component of our trip and replace it with a week in Tuscany instead. It was, like, a ten-second discussion, consisting mostly of K helping to coax me out of my guilty feelings that since we're in India we should see India. I offered about a dozen rationalizations, each more ridiculous than the next, about how we were, in effect, just postponing our further exploration of India so that we'd enjoy it more.
"You realize that's all crap, right?" K asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"Want to go to Tuscany anyway?"
"You bet."
We leave this Friday night.
K and I decided to bag the Rajasthan component of our trip and replace it with a week in Tuscany instead. It was, like, a ten-second discussion, consisting mostly of K helping to coax me out of my guilty feelings that since we're in India we should see India. I offered about a dozen rationalizations, each more ridiculous than the next, about how we were, in effect, just postponing our further exploration of India so that we'd enjoy it more.
"You realize that's all crap, right?" K asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"Want to go to Tuscany anyway?"
"You bet."
We leave this Friday night.
3 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:53 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:55 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:32 PM
Post a CommentYay, Tuscany! You've endured enough of India for several lifetimes (which, I guess, is appropriate considering the whole reincarnation thing). Enjoy it!
PS I'm sure you saw the NYT article (maybe six weeks ago?) about how tourists in Rome are routinely ripped off. You should be well trained to spot this.
P.S. I know that Rome is in Lazio, not Tuscany.
Tuscany sounds wonderful. but please post some photos of Milan as well!
<< Home