Wednesday, October 25, 2006

So much beauty I could puke

Actually, I did, but that was just a little parting shot from India, in the form of food poisoning acquired on the flight out.

It's amazing here on the outside -- how come you folks never mentioned that? K and I are discovering that brushing one's teeth with tap water is a pleasure that doesn't dull with repetition.

The cleanliness of everything...the days that start with crusty bread and brie and pears and unbelievably good coffee...the medieval stone villages...the women out and about in public...

I'm confirming what I began to suspect in London, which is that I'm European at heart.

I'm now trying to figure out how I can claim political asylum.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brie in Italy?

You raise an interesting point, though. What exactly does it mean to be a European these days? As you probably know, the immigration debate is much more immediate as the EU grapples with not only expanding its borders but also seeing its borders become more porous as world events cause more "outsiders" to seek the same freedoms that you are re-experiencing.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Do you mean European in the American sense (i.e., including the UK)? Or are you, as I suspect, using it in the British sense (i.e., excluding the UK)? My impression from our all-too-brief overlap in London was that you didn't identify with the 21st-century version of Brits.

4:27 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home