Sunday, September 14, 2008

On DFW

I know I'm expected to comment on this, but I feel a bit bad that my reaction isn't what I'd like it to be. Yes: it's sad that a tremendous talent was cut short. That said, I never managed to get into Infinite Jest, nor the essays, though I keep trying because they're favorites of a number of people whose literary opinions I respect. Very honestly, I find his writing like statuary: obviously difficult to construct, displaying genius on the part of the crafter, but cold, hard, and remote. I've always reacted poorly to the preciousness and self-congratulatory tone in the essays I've attempted, but, then, I've never taken well to pretty much anything pomo. At times, that feels like a personal failing. Perhaps I'll keep trying.

Furthermore, most suicides -- pretty much all that can't be considered as euthanasia -- make me angry rather than sad. It might be too much time in Asia that's talking, but a person -- every person -- has a certain social embeddedness. And with that, comes a concomitant responsibility. Moreover, a man who kills himself in such a way as to be discovered by his wife isn't merely ending personal pain, he's engaging in one of the most savagely aggressive and cruelly wounding acts possible. I find it difficult to go from those circumstances to accolades celebrating his humanity and sensitivity.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I finally finished Infinite Jest last year, I've recommended it to others (especially customers looking for something challenging), but I acknowledge (publicly) that part of my reason for liking the book is the idea that I survived the experience, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement in its own right.

Another basis for recommending it, however, is the story arc involving Don Gately and the addicts. There is undoubtedly some James Frey-style exaggeration going on, but the insight into how addicts' minds work was really gripping for me. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but at least it was unlike anything I had ever read, and it left a lasting impression.

I'm not trying to convince you to read the book. The 100+ pages of notes at the end: pure preciousness, I agree. And the story arc with the Quebec separatist group left me counting pages until ends of chapters on several occasions.

As for sadness vs. anger (as if they need to be in opposition to one another): I'm still sad, though I see your point. A former colleague shot himself in the head last year and all I could think about was his partner finding the body. Still, I reckon that I'd leave anger for the people directly affected by a suicide. I'm not sure why, but to me the "right" to feel angry feels more proprietary somehow. But I agree with you about the fundamental selfishness of the act.

3:25 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Italo -

The fact that you disagree makes me suspect even more strongly that my reaction is some sort of personal-history artifact and that your take is the correct -- or at least more noble -- one. That said, I'm sticking with it. Note, I'm not trying to appropriate the emotions of those directly affected -- those are unknowable, and that would be presumptuous. It's just the ordinary anger that one would feel on hearing that someone did something assholish. Even on the remote chance that his wife was relieved, and felt he was at peace -- I'd still feel anger. It's more than a selfish act. I don't mean it as woo-woo when I say that our lives aren't ours to take, but just that it's almost more like a category error: when we're socially enmeshed, it's such a grotesque violation to take that kind of unilateral action; it's hard not to see a kind of kamikaze intent, a desire or willingness to take out an entire portion of the network.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was majorly depressed most of his life and medicated for it. My understanding is he went off his meds a short time before his death. Maybe by that point he was past caring who found him. Not so much selfish as completely self-absorbed beyond caring about anyone or anything else, as in, no caring left, for anyone or anything.

9:14 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home