First reactions
In brief -- because I'm on vacation in Portland and there are more interesting things to do than sit inside and blog -- I think McCain's choice is both cynical and dumb. Cynical, for very obvious reasons. Dumb, because for every Clinton holdout he gains, he's gonna lose two evangelicals who can't stand the thought of anyone that close to that office, regardless of politics, who doesn't possess the prerequisite dangly bits. And dumb, further, because even the women who, er, announced that they'd have to think twice if Schlafly were to run...mm, let's just say: she is; we have; and, on further reflection: we won't.
What's more interesting to me is how the tropes are already emerging, from all sides: beauty queen. Bimbo. Bad mother. (Yes, I understand that she has a special-needs infant and will be away from home quite a bit. But jeez louise, does this baby not have a father?) And, of course, the rush to call her "Sarah." I winced my way all through the Clinton campaign's emphasis on her first name, while understanding, of course, why she could neither use "Clinton" nor suddenly revert to "Rodham." The current veep pick has no such issues. People: if we're talking about Obama, Biden, McCain...for god's sake, let's call the woman Palin, shall we?
Two real pitfalls here, off the top of my head: One, Obama is better off keeping his attacks focused on McCain (which, bonus, is easy to do). A return to the sophomoric snarkery that was aimed at Clinton is not going to play well with those of us who plan to hold our noses and support him, and ads that hint at menopausal mayhem are just going to make me reach for the write-in ballot. Two, I fear that when Biden chews Palin up and spits her out -- which he can do, will do, and, frankly, ought to do -- people on both sides of the aisle are going to shake their heads and note the unsuitability of women for high elected office. That's just the facts of ingroup/outgroup categorization, and the nature of internalized oppression.
What's more interesting to me is how the tropes are already emerging, from all sides: beauty queen. Bimbo. Bad mother. (Yes, I understand that she has a special-needs infant and will be away from home quite a bit. But jeez louise, does this baby not have a father?) And, of course, the rush to call her "Sarah." I winced my way all through the Clinton campaign's emphasis on her first name, while understanding, of course, why she could neither use "Clinton" nor suddenly revert to "Rodham." The current veep pick has no such issues. People: if we're talking about Obama, Biden, McCain...for god's sake, let's call the woman Palin, shall we?
Two real pitfalls here, off the top of my head: One, Obama is better off keeping his attacks focused on McCain (which, bonus, is easy to do). A return to the sophomoric snarkery that was aimed at Clinton is not going to play well with those of us who plan to hold our noses and support him, and ads that hint at menopausal mayhem are just going to make me reach for the write-in ballot. Two, I fear that when Biden chews Palin up and spits her out -- which he can do, will do, and, frankly, ought to do -- people on both sides of the aisle are going to shake their heads and note the unsuitability of women for high elected office. That's just the facts of ingroup/outgroup categorization, and the nature of internalized oppression.
4 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:08 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:46 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 1:14 AM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 3:40 PM
Post a CommentI think you overstate the bigotry of evangelicals, who have overwhelmingly expressed excitement and approval of the selection--far more approval of Palin than McCain. By itself that excitement means the pick works.
I further note that both Frank Murkowski and Andrew Halcro, two intelligent men, were quite confident that they could chew up and spit out Palin. And neither of them have ever had a "clean and articulate" or "Indians @ 7-11" gaffe.
You'll be happy to know that Todd has structured his job so that he does stay home with the children for long stretches of time.
I have to disagree re "dumb." Is Palin going to attract every Hillary supporter? No. But if she attracts 5% of them? When was the last time a VP candidate added a million votes?
That's before you get to the jiu-jitsu of the Democrats suddenly announcing that they care very much about experience and a history of previous accomplishments. O RLY? I think the Republicans will be happy to have that debate.
I think I agree with "anonymous" on this. One of the UK papers ran a story about a month ago about the women whom McCain might pick as running mate, and Palin was the only one who made me shiver.
But then, I saw nothing in the U.S. press, and the Intrade markets for Palin (you know, where people "put their money where their mouth is") suggested not even the slightest chance of her being nominated.
My sigh of relief came way too soon.
Esquivalient is not only a foreign policy superstar, she has hobnobbed with the person who wrote the infamous "40-page vetting memo" all the papers are talking about.
I admit I thought of your Schlafly post when this pick was announced.
What'd you think of her speech at the RNC?
<< Home