Santos-McGarry
In retrospect, given that our dashing, voluble Santos (replete with adoring, hot wife and cute little kids) was already running against the older, freethinking (in reputation, anyway) Vinick, of course it makes sense to complete the script and pick McGarry. (And, note to Biden? Don't take chances. Call your cardiologist.)
I reiterate: Biden's fine by me. But I do wonder whether a dark horse might've been smarter, if only to inject a little more pizzazz into a campaign that seems to have reached wearying levels of media saturation even before the frenzy of the Convention. And I worry: we're undoubtedly a poorer planet for it -- believe me, I wish people talked like that -- but I realized many years ago that we just don't live in a Sorkin universe.
I reiterate: Biden's fine by me. But I do wonder whether a dark horse might've been smarter, if only to inject a little more pizzazz into a campaign that seems to have reached wearying levels of media saturation even before the frenzy of the Convention. And I worry: we're undoubtedly a poorer planet for it -- believe me, I wish people talked like that -- but I realized many years ago that we just don't live in a Sorkin universe.
7 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:52 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 3:34 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:51 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:57 PM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 10:16 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 11:36 AM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 10:57 AM
Post a CommentBiden is such a lightweight. Beyond lightweight. Obama is more qualified than Biden, and Biden doesn't even think Obama is qualified. (But he has endorsed McCain's qualifications.)
I was worried about the McCain selection (and there are going to be interesting tales told about that process in 2009 that I won't be the one to leak), but we're at least not going to do worse than Biden.
'Biden is such a lightweight'? Compared to what? No wonder you opted to be 'anonymous:' You obviously have never seen a senate hearing in your life. Just guessing here, I'd say there are a rough dozen Senators who know their onions & can really ask & act on substantive questions. Jilting Joe's one of them.
You want to talk lightweight? I live in Oregon. Our SENIOR Senator is Ron Wyden. During the monsterous civil war in what was Yugoslavia, Senator Wyden was asked to find Bosnia of a globe. He couldn't. Our junior senator is Gordon Smith--who's even dimmer. Smith is facing a tough reelection fight, and so far his strategy seems to be trying NOT to be a Republican. Smith declined to be on the Honorary Committee to Elect John McCain, because Smith is 'too busy' on his own reelection. Uh huh. Smith also will not be attending the GOP convention. Why? Too busy on his own...oh, never mind.
'Lightweight,' good grief. Who do you consider a senate 'heavyweight'? I mean, with folks like Ted Stevens and Tom Coburn (whatever that Okie idiot's name is), my dead cat Sparky could score 'average' in that bunch--and this was a cat who pretty much brain dead when she was alive...my god, this is a group where Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein are 'respected' members.
'We're at least not going to do worse than Biden'? Do you really think the GOP couldn't find someone worse? Can you look me in the eyeball and tell me that Senators Joe Lieberman, Sam Brownback, Jim Bunning, Mitch McConnell, Jeff Sessions, or David 'Oh baby, oh baby, FAMILY VALUES baby!' Vitter--they would be BETTER than Joe Biden? In a hilarious column, the NYT's Gail Collins claimed she was writing a book titled 'How Joe Lieberman Spoiled Everything.'
....And what about Mike 'American Taliban' Huckabee or Mitt 'All Things to All Men' Romney, or Duncan 'Complete Idiot' Hunter, or Rudy 'What? Me Worry?' Giulani, or Tom 'White...I mean NON-IMMIGRANT Power' Tancredo, You think thay they would not be worse than Senator Biden?
I don't know who you are, 'Anonymous,' but you might try cracking a book now & then--especially before shooting your mouth off about how McCain couldn't pick a VP worse than Deleware's own favorite son.
One last shot: Keep in mind, I'm also the guy who earlier took shots at Senator Biden for his putz level performance at 'Justice' (a brand name, not unlike the 'fruit' in Froot Loops) Thomas's confirmation hearings....
Oh yeah--almost forgot: Ceterum censeo delendam esse Gordon Smith.
I remain:
Bill Abendroth
I remain Billabendrothophile, no matter what my ID really says.
PS Ya gotta love Wikipedia: there are separate articles for the presidential elections that took place on the show, complete with electoral-vote maps.
You're not alone here: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_08/014392.php
David,
Yeah, but, ahem? First.
On a related subject, I notice something troubling in the comments to that article: references to the ticket as "BO-Joe," which strikes me as having an alarming chance of catching on.
(K: "Shouldn't that be 'BO-jb'?"
E: "Oh, for the love of god, no!")
-E.
As in:
"You can keep your senile old folks/
I like my tickets like Bo-Joe."
Donkey's got back.
<< Home