Sunday, August 03, 2008

Pocketful of hope

Update on the onward assignment stuff: I was offered the "women's whatever" job. Yay!

But, then, a couple of days after my waiting for the necessary logistics to go through to actually have the job, I got a phone call from the person I've been talking with most in that office (who is not, as I've mentioned, in the same personnel system as me. Although she's a very nice and competent person, she doesn't have much experience with my employer).

"What does it mean when [the logistics folks] tell you 'job frozen for 2009'?" she asked, with concern.

Aw, crap. It means I'm almost certainly not getting the job.

Long story short, she's pretty fierce and determined (and plenty pissed off with the logistics folks, and rightfully so). I'm hopeful, but not really hopeful in the practical sense. As in, come Friday, I'll probably accept the other job. Which is fine. The more I explored what I could and couldn't realistically expect to do with the position, the more I realized it'd probably be a two-year exercise in frustration.

Still.

It feels good to start the week knowing -- ok, "knowing" is almost certainly too strong a word; "believing"? -- that my four-month-long job limbo will come to an end when it closes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home