The obligatory Veep post
Let me get this on the record under the wire, as it were: I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of Clinton as Veep. It's not that she wouldn't be good, or wouldn't help Obama win (which I very much think she would: the Hillary-haters aren't gonna vote for Barry anyway), it's that she's overqualified.
I don't like the -- as we say in my biz -- optics of it. (NB: I hate that we say that in my biz. I always wanna ask: how's the gravity? The gravity workin' ok for you? How 'bout those thermodynamics?) She's not his goddamn assistant, and her talents are ill-served by being kept out of the limelight simply because America only feels comfortable with a woman in power as long as there's a man in charge -- never mind that he's younger and less experienced. Perhaps it's the entire season I just watched (and loved) of Mad Men, but let's not do the whole executive/secretary, doctor/nurse thing here, ok? There's something a little unseemly about Clinton lowering her sights to play the beta, and it especially makes me bristle to think of her taking such an invisible role when there's so much more she could do with other platforms while waiting to run again.
K thinks it'll be Biden. I think he might be right. I have zero problems with Biden ideologically, and I think it's better to have him in the Veep slot than to have, say, the terrifying prospect of Mr. "clean-and-articulate" Joe as SecState. ("I have looked into the eyes of King Abdullah II, and I can tell you: he didn't smell like a camel at all. Now that's storybook!") And before you get all snarky and point out that Biden, too, is older and more experienced than Obama -- hell, just about everyone in Washington is -- the difference (among many) is that this is a perfectly competent man with no realistic chance of ever achieving the Presidency through any other means. Wonkery without charisma: an ideal VP formula.
I suspect I might be in the minority in my opinions on this one, and I'm not going to sulk if she gets it (an event that K pegs at 10 percent; I'd wager somewhat lower). It's just that, as an inspiring and dynamic leader, she can do -- and deserves -- better.
I don't like the -- as we say in my biz -- optics of it. (NB: I hate that we say that in my biz. I always wanna ask: how's the gravity? The gravity workin' ok for you? How 'bout those thermodynamics?) She's not his goddamn assistant, and her talents are ill-served by being kept out of the limelight simply because America only feels comfortable with a woman in power as long as there's a man in charge -- never mind that he's younger and less experienced. Perhaps it's the entire season I just watched (and loved) of Mad Men, but let's not do the whole executive/secretary, doctor/nurse thing here, ok? There's something a little unseemly about Clinton lowering her sights to play the beta, and it especially makes me bristle to think of her taking such an invisible role when there's so much more she could do with other platforms while waiting to run again.
K thinks it'll be Biden. I think he might be right. I have zero problems with Biden ideologically, and I think it's better to have him in the Veep slot than to have, say, the terrifying prospect of Mr. "clean-and-articulate" Joe as SecState. ("I have looked into the eyes of King Abdullah II, and I can tell you: he didn't smell like a camel at all. Now that's storybook!") And before you get all snarky and point out that Biden, too, is older and more experienced than Obama -- hell, just about everyone in Washington is -- the difference (among many) is that this is a perfectly competent man with no realistic chance of ever achieving the Presidency through any other means. Wonkery without charisma: an ideal VP formula.
I suspect I might be in the minority in my opinions on this one, and I'm not going to sulk if she gets it (an event that K pegs at 10 percent; I'd wager somewhat lower). It's just that, as an inspiring and dynamic leader, she can do -- and deserves -- better.
6 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:04 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:29 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 1:02 PM
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 6:31 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 5:54 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 7:57 PM
Post a CommentI think you needn't worry. I really can't imagine her taking the position if offered, and it won't be because she thinks she's too good for it. It's simply that being part of a losing ticket (even the less-prominent half) is career-ending.
Besides, Wikipedia is already showing Biden as the VP nominee ...
PS The bit about King Abdullah gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it.
Speaking of VP predictions. . .
http://mediamatters.org/altercation/200808200004#9
I don't think Clinton wants the VP spot -- there's no need for her to play second fiddle in an Obama administration, as opposed to becoming one of the most powerful and influential members of the U.S. Senate. Obama has better choices than her, and she has better choices than working for him, which is a recipe for it not happening.
Personally, I like Kathleen Sebelius. Or Carl Levin. Or Wesley Clark (though he's out of the running).
I don't know David Schraub. I never served with David Schraub. I wasn't ever friends with David Schraub. Senator, you're no....HA HA HA! I kill me.
There's got to be a good book somewhere about the highs & lows of VP-dom, just in terms of efficacy (whatever) at the position--from the lows of FDR's Catus Jack ('The vice presidency isn't worth half a pitcher of warm spit'), Dan 'Numb Nuts' Quayle, and LBJ to Kennedy (See Robert Caros's good book, I forget the name)--and the highs of Al Gore to Bill Clinton, I'm going to say FDR's Henry Wallace because I'm a partisan jerk, and Richard 'Darth' Cheney to what's his face (I forget the name).
But I feel compelled to say that the quality of the VEEP depends on the President (cf Dept. of Duh). I just finished the hilarious book by Jules Witcover, an updated 'biography' of the Nixon-Agnew Administration 'Very Strange Bedfellows.' What makes Witcover's 'update' fascinating is not so much that he says anything new (he doesn't), but this edition is FILLED with released Nixon tapes. Where before Witcover engaged in conjecture, here he has it straight from the horse's end (you pick which one). The point is, Agnew was a loser from the get-go, but that's what Nixon wanted: As Nixon was to Ike, so to was Spiro the Zero to the Trickster.
Is Obama the kind of a guy who wants a VP who really is part of the Administration? Frankly, I don't know enough to say. But I can tell you, while Ms. Clinton may have been born at night--it wasn't last night: If she's the VEEP, that means she's already got a deal that she's a mover & a shaker. By way of analogy, the story was (back in the day) that President Ford COULD have had Reagan as his VP in 1976, but the price was roughly turning over the Presidency to Ron's California Stooges.
But much like David says, I think both Senator Clinton & the country are better served with her as a mover & a shaker in the Senate---Still, I can't tell you how much I hate all those people who think Senator Clinton is the Anti-christ (only more destructive), and so a Clinton VP would really be a big thumb in their eye (I was going to say 'up their donkey,' but not donkey, but The Esquiver is deluding Esquiver's self that Esquiver's niece still reads the blog. YOU WISH).
While as a rule I hate war criminals, General Wesley Clark really impresses me--he always has. But then again, I admire Henry Wallace, so you can tell how close my finger's on the population's pulse. So, while two swallows may not a summer make, me and Mr. Schraub a ground swell clearly do not make.
Senator Biden.....he's like the compromise candidate that leaves everybody pissed. I've been reading about Justice 'Jackass' Thomas's confirmation hearings, and the more I read & remember, the angrier I get at Senator Biden. What a dick, Joe was back in the day. Granted, I haven't hunted down to see what he's got to say now ('Man! When I look at the tapes of those hearings, I was SUCH a putz! I can hardly believe it....'), the dude just doesn't rock my world.....
But among the 'Spiro Agnews,' like Bill Richardson, Evan of Indiana, and The Esquiver's personal favorite: Jim 'The GOP-man!' Webb---those guys are even worse.
Some commentator on NPR this week suggested that Senator Obama may choose Colin Powell, which would be interesting---but remember that immortal scene from the first year of Scrubs, where the head of medicine's chief assistant spent most of the show walking around saying 'I'm a tool. I'm a tool. a real tool. I'm a big tool...Tool...'? Say what you want about the General--but he doesn't care for looking, acting, and being a real tool......unless it's in front of the UN! HEEEY OOOOH!
What's the joke about King Abby? On my new FACEBOOK group, The Thunderclap Newman Fan Club, I have the photo of George & Abe strolling hand in hand. I also mock George's statements about looking Putin in the eye, and knowing Putin has a good soul...But who looked Abdullah in the eye?
For me, I have to cast my vote with 'Don't know, don't really care,' mainly because I want to cast my efforts (paltry, granted) at throwing Oregon's very own Turdbird Senator Gordon Smith out on his ass.
But let me end by saying that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Don't Panic) aka Wikipedia is generally on the money when it comes to scoops......
In a word: Ceterum censeo delendam esse Gordon Smith.
I remain:
Amusing only to myself.
Bill Abendroth
Michael Moore says that Caroline Kennedy should 'Pull a Cheney' (whatever), in that because she's heading up the VEEP search committee, she should nominate herself to be Senator Barry's #2...
Gail Collins of the NYT wrote about the VEEP stakes, speculating about McCain selecting Lieberman. Ms. Collins also pluged her latest book, 'How Joe Lieberman Spoils Everything.' I've already prepaid for my advance copy.
I could live with Caroline the K...and I am compelled to say that if he keeps it up, I'm going to throw my gloves and stick on the ice, skate on over to Ted, pull his shirt over his head and go to town.
Ceterum censeo delendam esse Gordon Smith.
Bill Abendroth
<< Home