Friday, January 11, 2008

Tata no-no

How is it even possible that there are people dumb enough to laud the $2500 car?

In what benighted faux-liberal universe do we applaud the "democratic" "achievement" that's going to allow people to not only kill themselves at a faster rate (massive influx of new drivers, no licensing requirements to speak of, no spendy safety equipment on their new toys), but take what's left of air quality in Asia with them? (How now, brown cloud?)

And my immediate second thought, speaking specifically of Mumbai: just where in the hell do they think they're gonna be able to drive? The city already makes LA look like Sioux Falls. I regularly refused to go anywhere outside my walking radius, even with that sharply curtailed by rabid men, dogs, and beggars, not because I'm noble, but simply because I couldn't freakin' stand to be in the car for an hour to go five miles. I mean, six months later, this episode of Doctor Who still sparked traumatic flashbacks.

Madness. Madness, and crippling greed from Tata.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a matter of perspective mate . There are millions of folks all over India n Asia with two riders plus kids teetering on two wheelers risking life n limb who think otherwise.
But then, u do have a valid point. Overcrowded cities, basic infrastructure still a luxury ..add to it a 1 lakh rupee car …recipe for disaster .

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so people should not have the option of driving inexpensive four wheelers instead of more inefficient and unsafe two wheelers? and please worry about the effect that detroit generates on the atmosphere before thinking about brown clouds over asia.

10:28 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Steve-new delhi (Like we need another "Steve" around here!):

Yeah, I thought about those gnat-clouds of motorbikes. (Most anguished missed-picture opportunity: someone actually carrying the proverbial kitchen sink on their Honda Dream.)

I'd like to see the accident stats. In the absence of that, I can't rule out that it might be like cars vs. SUVs: cars may fare worse in a collision, but they're less likely than SUVs to actually be in one. Those motorbikes are analogously nimble.

From what I can remember of the reporting on the subject, the most dangerous thing to be in Indian cities is a pedestrian (including those sleeping/living on the side of the road, not just walking on it). A ped stands a chance in a scooter-vs-ped collision. Not so much with a car.

Then, too: I know it's a little different in Delhi (well, the "New" part, anyway), where there's still a little daylight between car bumpers, but Mumbai roads are already beyond carrying capacity. This is going to force the local gov't to be reactive to those new vehicles' demands, rather than putting that same limited transportation funding into things such as bike paths, ferries, and post-19th-century trains. And what's that going to do to air quality that already takes a toll on health reportedly equivalent to smoking two packs a day? The disaster you speak of is already present. What comes next is difficult to imagine.

'Preciate your (and any thoughtful) commenting, though.

1:48 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Anamak,

Holy crap! You mean, Americans have cars too? I guess that totally explains that very famous Detroit Brown Cloud.

Buh-bye.
-E.

1:55 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home