The argumentative Indian
...cat.
Some of you may recall how, a year and three-quarters ago, a feral Indian cat gave birth in our closet (I should add that we were in India at the time). K grew rather attached, and, after being unable to find suitable homes in Mumbai (the keeping of indoor cats regarded there much as we would the practice of raising indoor possums or squirrels), exported all four kitties to the US, where two play carefree and well-adjusted in upstate New York, and two grow fat and happy in South Carolina.
All is not well, however.
In one case, nature triumphed over nurture. One cat, though not at all feral and in fact quite loving, as well as sleek and gorgeous, has inherited the wanderlust genes from his mother and is emphatically an outdoor dweller. He's also a talker, in a small (and uptight) neighborhood in which a roving and interactive cat is not welcome. This is causing some problems, and causing the cat owner to wonder whether it wouldn't be better for everyone, including the cat who is risking bodily harm by these horrible ailurophobic neighbors, if a more suitable home could be found.
So, readers, are you set up for an outdoor cat, who will cost/inconvenience you only a little catfood and give you nothing but love (and, ok, a little backtalk) in return? Do you want a beautiful, unusual pet who not only has the phenotype of the Bombay breed, but, in fact, hails from Bombay? He's healthy, vaccinated, and neutered. Say the word, and K will deliver him to your door (continental US only).
Some of you may recall how, a year and three-quarters ago, a feral Indian cat gave birth in our closet (I should add that we were in India at the time). K grew rather attached, and, after being unable to find suitable homes in Mumbai (the keeping of indoor cats regarded there much as we would the practice of raising indoor possums or squirrels), exported all four kitties to the US, where two play carefree and well-adjusted in upstate New York, and two grow fat and happy in South Carolina.
All is not well, however.
In one case, nature triumphed over nurture. One cat, though not at all feral and in fact quite loving, as well as sleek and gorgeous, has inherited the wanderlust genes from his mother and is emphatically an outdoor dweller. He's also a talker, in a small (and uptight) neighborhood in which a roving and interactive cat is not welcome. This is causing some problems, and causing the cat owner to wonder whether it wouldn't be better for everyone, including the cat who is risking bodily harm by these horrible ailurophobic neighbors, if a more suitable home could be found.
So, readers, are you set up for an outdoor cat, who will cost/inconvenience you only a little catfood and give you nothing but love (and, ok, a little backtalk) in return? Do you want a beautiful, unusual pet who not only has the phenotype of the Bombay breed, but, in fact, hails from Bombay? He's healthy, vaccinated, and neutered. Say the word, and K will deliver him to your door (continental US only).
6 Comments:
-
David Schraub said...
-
- 12:32 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 5:31 AM
-
Jenyabel said...
-
- 5:22 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 11:29 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:44 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 9:57 PM
Post a CommentEvery time I see the word ailurophobia, my mind turns to do this.
Also, way to drill (me) in Scrabble ;-)
Christ....It would be almost worth taking the cat, if it meant a chance to meet the elusive Mr. K...Almost. I am afraid that your Bombay cat would pound the stuffings out of my two sissy cats.
Maybe I have lived in Oakland too long, so please excuse the question in light of the fact that it comes from a resident of a town graced this past week by its 124th homicide of the year and the carjacking-at-gunpoint of our Sate Senator pro tem, but I honestly have to know--is there *really* a planet where folks get their knickers in a knot over a meowing cat? Can you reveal its location?
Also...what's his name? (The cat.)
David:
Just lucky with the letters this time. You're a fiendishly good player. And -- oh, look! You've won a cat!
Bill:
Yeah, probably would. He's quite the tough-looking dude; takes after his dad. (Hint: we used to call him Shere Khan.)
Jenya:
Welcome to the wide world of commenting! It's Planet Appalachia. I'll let the owner decide if she wants to elaborate more than that. The adoptee's name is Niles, ne Bigsy; baby pictures are here.
Have you found a home yet for Big Ass, I mean Big Eyes? If you SWEAR to the cowboy buddha that he will not PEE in my house, I would be willing to give him a reasonable home. As I'm sure you know, there's lots to explore and wander in my neighborhood (I've lived in the same neighborhood since 1986. What a loser). And if he wants to mix it up, there are way too many squirrels mooching off my black walnut tree--as well as a pretty good selection of cats, of all levels of ability. My cat Pete (who looks just like 'momcat,' whatever kind of cat that is) is one tough dude--as long as I'm standing there & got his back.....And if the squirrels get boring, there are still lots of damn posseums, and even the occasional raccoon. I really hate the raccoons.
In terms of home compatibility, Pete--a fixed male--is like 16--but still in good health. He is really a sissy pants. Franny--a fixed female--is six and about ten pounds too heavy. She's more of a fighter than Pete (which means nothing), but she leans towards a 'What the ef...?' kind of a fighter. On rare occasions, my two cats will sit about two feet apart, and swipe at each other; Think Jason Alexander and Jerry Seinfeld going at it.
I'd also be willing to trade an asparagas fern, if you're interested.....YUCK YUCK!
I remain,
Bill Abendroth
billaben@teleport.com
PS I used the word 'ass' as a special shout out to E's niece. Niece, you really should tell your aunt you are not such a shrinking violet--especially if you are anything like your Aunt. Oh, and ask your Aunt if she will send you a copy of that great paper she wrote at U of Zero on The Tempest and slavery.
Bill, that's so sweet! (I think.) But I spoke with the cat owner and described your house (if memory serves...?), and she feels there might be too many busy streets in that area for this country cousin. I think we're going to try giving the horrible neighbor a peace offering of one of those ultrasonic cat-repellent gizmo thingies and see how that goes. But we might still take you up on it if that doesn't work, so try not to acquire any more cats in the meantime, please.
And if you want proof of K's existence, just get a Facebook account. You'll have to anyway, once you start teaching, so that you can snoop on what your students are saying about you. There's a link on my page to my photos...ok, what some have called my photo blog (I never met a comment field I didn't like, I guess)...including K sightings.
-E.
<< Home