Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Housekeeping

First: Windows IE users, does the blog look funny to you? More than is typical, I mean? Specifically, is the right-hand column riding unusually low? I've been using only Firefox lately, in which everything looks as it should, but I noticed in IE today that things were awry -- though, weirdly, sometimes corrected by refreshing the page. Please do let me know if I've broken the blog.

Second: DC-environs readers, anyone have a good GP to recommend? (S: yours, sadly, doesn't accept my insurance.) Nothing acute going on, just a collection of indignities that I really ought to get around to addressing. Problem is, I'm fiercely physicianphobic (one of the hardest phobias to treat, really; where do you go for help?) and I have a separate loathing of health insurance companies. Frankly, I'd rather risk substandard care in a third world country and have it cost ten bucks than risk substandard care here and be $1000 out of pocket after weeks of impenetrable paperwork and hours of hopeless phone calls (and yes, that really happened, and no, I don't want to talk about it). If I have to face this, I'd rather not draw an indifferent and condescending jerk in the bargain. Names, anyone?

Third: forgive me if I'm on a reduced posting schedule for the next two weeks. For one thing, I can't find my "blogging notebook," in which I jot down proto-posts and manage the queue. For another, I'm likely taking the GRE soon. According to tonight's practice test, I am now officially stupid. And should that prove to be more than rustiness -- should I score substantially worse than the perfectly respectable numbers I garnered 15 (!) years ago -- well, I'm not sure I could afford the therapy I'd need to get over that. Could arguably just about swing the requisite amount of beer, though. Which, come to think of it, might explain how it is that I find myself in this sorry state of affairs to begin with.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only differences I notice with IE (6.0 sp2) are that "Esquivalience" seems several points smaller, and the first character of each entry's title is bolded. Everything else renders pretty much the same as with Firefox.

-kh

(If anyone is seeing anything out of whack with IE, please include the IE & OS versions in your comment)

6:33 AM  
Blogger David Schraub said...

My advice on the GRE (I took it over the summer) is to really work on the math section, which is incredibly easy. I say that as someone who is absolutely terrible at math -- it was easy for me, and I was constantly skirting in "C" territory in HS math. A crash review session with someone who actually knows math (in my case, engineering school bound little brother) and you can easily pop your score on the section above 760.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WinXP SP2, IE 7.0. Everything looks as normal as it ever did...

-Steve (no, not that one, the REAL one)

7:02 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

David,

Oh, puh-LEEZE. Do you know what stage I'm at with the math? I'll tell you what stage I'm at. I'm at the stage in which I figure out the answer ("answer"), and my solution doesn't even appear as one of the choices offered. Yes, that's right: ETS has deemed my various mathematical delusions that pass for quantitative reasoning to be so far outside the pale that even a test-taker who is destined to get the answer wrong wouldn't go so far wrong as to be tempted by the mistakes I'm still making. This generally puts me in so foul a mood that I go slay some analogies just to feel better. And this is NOT where I need to be spending my study time.

10:21 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Steve,

Thanks. Dad mentioned he wasn't able to load the page at all, but, well, um. You know.

ps Will my iPod be able to play piano?

10:24 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home