Freudian slippery
Reading an American-penned dispatch today at work on the ascendancy of Sharia law in Aceh province was scary enough, and then I got to the section that referred to "sexual morays." Yikes! Stonings, vigilantism -- and, now, amorous eels!
Putting aside my despair over the future of (1) Aceh, and (2) the English language, I couldn't quite decide: a true eggcorn? I mean, eels are fairly phallic, and all, but the new association isn't that direct -- unless the writer closed the loop, by, fr'instance, having "Whennnn an eel bites your thigh as you're just swimming by..." stuck in his head as he typed.
And, see, if I could just spend a fraction of that time and energy reading that same dispatch, and, say, thinking about my job...
Putting aside my despair over the future of (1) Aceh, and (2) the English language, I couldn't quite decide: a true eggcorn? I mean, eels are fairly phallic, and all, but the new association isn't that direct -- unless the writer closed the loop, by, fr'instance, having "Whennnn an eel bites your thigh as you're just swimming by..." stuck in his head as he typed.
And, see, if I could just spend a fraction of that time and energy reading that same dispatch, and, say, thinking about my job...
1 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 7:06 AM
Post a CommentAmong the many google hits for "sexual morays" is this one from another blogspotter:
"At the height of its popularity, I never understood what the fuck was so special about Sex and the City. At its best, the show earned a little of my respect by centering plots around ludicrous sex acts and fetishes. At its worst, which was often, it took these same lewd sexual morays and sanitized them for your average middle-aged housewife..."
Loop closed?
-kh (always use warm soapy water, as our morays are not dishwasher safe)
<< Home