I love a piano
My latest toy: the Yamaha PSR-GX76.
I'm ever so pleased, even if my friend, when asked over the phone to guess what I just bought (as I played a few notes), answered, without hesitation, "an electronic keyboard?" whereas I was kinda hoping he'd say "a piano?"
Oh well. I'd briefly considered getting a new, proper, 88-key piano-looking thing, but ultimately went for a used and lesser model off Craigslist, for a fraction of the price, promising myself an eventual upgrade if it ends up not being a ginormous plastic 76-key paperweight. It took several weeks to get from intention to purchase; it seems used keyboards are at a surprising premium on CL, and I kept turning out to not be the first caller, so finally closing the deal felt especially satisfying.
Do I play? Uh, not as such. Theory and praxis again, the unfortunate duality of my life. I can read music well enough, but, in taking the keys for a spin last night, discovered I didn't quite seem to have the requisite number of fingers. Or they're just spaced funny, or something -- is the average hand really a good six inches wider than mine?
Anyway, I didn't let a small thing like lack of basic competence prevent me from having a blast not-singing and not-playing loudly and gloriously poorly last night, and, an extra surprise bonus, K seems suddenly motivated this morning to finally plot a course of action to get on with his(/our?) life. I'm sure it's just coincidence that it also gets him out of the house.
I'm ever so pleased, even if my friend, when asked over the phone to guess what I just bought (as I played a few notes), answered, without hesitation, "an electronic keyboard?" whereas I was kinda hoping he'd say "a piano?"
Oh well. I'd briefly considered getting a new, proper, 88-key piano-looking thing, but ultimately went for a used and lesser model off Craigslist, for a fraction of the price, promising myself an eventual upgrade if it ends up not being a ginormous plastic 76-key paperweight. It took several weeks to get from intention to purchase; it seems used keyboards are at a surprising premium on CL, and I kept turning out to not be the first caller, so finally closing the deal felt especially satisfying.
Do I play? Uh, not as such. Theory and praxis again, the unfortunate duality of my life. I can read music well enough, but, in taking the keys for a spin last night, discovered I didn't quite seem to have the requisite number of fingers. Or they're just spaced funny, or something -- is the average hand really a good six inches wider than mine?
Anyway, I didn't let a small thing like lack of basic competence prevent me from having a blast not-singing and not-playing loudly and gloriously poorly last night, and, an extra surprise bonus, K seems suddenly motivated this morning to finally plot a course of action to get on with his(/our?) life. I'm sure it's just coincidence that it also gets him out of the house.
1 Comments:
-
esquiver said...
-
- 2:57 PM
Post a CommentIncidentally, we have a new explanation for K's rather visceral objections to my playing and singing: K has absolute pitch.
We discovered it thusly: I complained that I didn't have the sheet music for a song that was stuck in my head; K asked me to hum it, and then sat down and picked it out on the keyboard, error-free.
"How are you doing this?" I asked. He demurred having perfect pitch. But, as he explained how he "just sort of knew" the intervals, I became increasingly suspicious and eventually got him to try to identify random notes without looking. Which he did, four for four.
"But I can't produce pitches," he said. "Try it," I urged. He announced his intention to sing middle C. And did, spot on.
I'm both jealous and proud of the little freak. Geez, the things you still learn about a person after four years...
<< Home