Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Spin doctor

I know that at least some of the handful of you who read regularly won't have seen the other recent links to this nifty illusion, so let me add mine here.

I saw her, instantly and with great conviction, engaged in a clockwise spin, and could neither make the figure switch direction nor even understand how it was possible to see her as spinning counterclockwise. K saw her in a counterclockwise rotation (yes, this is how we spend our "dates"... clearly, just a matter of time before we move in together) but quickly figured out how to mentally reverse direction.

The most helpful instruction he gave me was to use a piece of paper to cover up all of her except the "weight-bearing" foot, focus on reversing its direction, and only then remove the paper. That finally let me see the spin the other way, but she's still inclined to switch back if I take my eye off her for even a second.

Neat toy, but now let's visit the alleged "what it means" part. I put about as much stock in "right brain/left brain" as I do in Myers-Briggs, and not just because I am a person of ambidexterity, whose ostensibly colossal corpus callosum ought to be able to make that lady rotate on command like a tyro ballerina auditioning for the Kirov.

From reading others' comments on the illusion, there does seem to be an intriguing (anecdotal, of course) gender difference in perception here. But I'm far from convinced it means what they think it means.

Notice, for instance: when the figure spins clockwise, her center of gravity is different. She appears to be leaning forward more, and rising and falling on the flat of her foot, in a fairly realistic and naturalistic fashion. When she appears to spin counterclockwise, she's rising and falling on her heel and leaning too far back to be actually twirling in anything other than cyberspace. Is it possible that ingroup identification with the figure encourages women to arrive at the "realistic posture" interpretation first? This is not impossible; faced with apparently equal alternatives, our brain instantly deploys all kinds of subtle mechanisms to avoid the problem of Buridan's ass; we will, for example, "prefer" merchandise offered to our right even when it's identical to that on our left, and unconsciously generate a feasible-sounding rationalization to cover for our right-hand bias. We could further investigate by replicating the illusion with a spinning male figure (and yes, I know the illusion hinges on the side view, but, surely, that could be recreated with, say, a clothing silhouette or briefcase in the hand, or something).

Theory deux: Focusing on the lifted foot seems to encourage the clockwise perspective (which, so help me, I continue to see as the "correct" one). Gee, is there any reason men might first be drawn to the torso, rather than the foot? I'm thinking it isn't a "math/science/logic" bias, and it'd be easily confirmable with one of those gizmos that tracks gaze (oh, to be in grad school again). In short, before you get too excited about tidy binary categorical differences (I'm always fiercely skeptical of binary anything; nature simply seems to favor the messy continuum) in brain, behavior, or, especially, what appears to be gender-mapped traits, first cherchez le grand singe, I always say.

However, right before I saw this link, I was thinking about Weisman's book The World Without Us, which I have not yet read (I'm on the library wait list). I'm sure some would argue that the planet, denuded of humanity, would be much healthier. I'm not sure we have to go that far. What about The World With Everyone Consumed by Self-Doubt?

See, I have a problem with certainty. I can fake it -- sort of -- but, privately, it only has to reach a modest level before I'm fairly convinced (but, obviously, not too convinced) that I'm probably wrong, with the sensation of certainty as my primary evidence. What if everyone were thus paralyzed? Well, I don't think it'd be a case of the rain falling equally on the just and unjust feller. Call it Yeats' law (the worst are full of passionate intensity): there'd be an asymmetric loss of activity on the side of the evils. And, for all of us, we'd think more and do less, which -- with apologies to Sarkozy -- I don't think would be such a bad thing. I'm fairly certain.

As for that spinning lady: putting aside all the unexamined bullcrap about the alleged left/right meaning, her real beauty is in letting us practice what it feels like to have one necessary point-of-view abruptly split into two contingent ones. I just wish that it wasn't the first such experience for so many people. Let's resolve to practice random acts of doubt and senseless ambiguity.

Or not.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first saw her doing the twist, I was sure she was going counter-clockwise, but then she was going clock-wise--and I couldn't make her reverse direction. Imagine my shock that Dr. Spin said I was 'right brained.' What? Me? Mr. WASP? I think NOT.

Though, to be fair, on the turn when she's facing 9:00 or the proverbial 'west' direction, I couldn't but help notice her 'perkiness' ie she's nipping out (to coin a phrase)...and all I could think about was I'm 47, twice divorced, going to school with kids half my age...and staring a twirling nekkid girl to see if I'm right or left brained. As they say on television: Now THAT'S a low-zer.

Be that as it may--what is UP with Career by Committee? Am I the only one with so little going on in my miserable life that only I notice the Divine Ms. E is a little weak on the follow up? I refer to my gripes about the lack of details from Hair-gate.

I remain--
Clearly not introspective.

Bill Abendroth nee Roth

1:37 AM  
Blogger Ted Frank said...

"We'd think more and do less" as a motto for government is a good a description for libertarianism as any.

Strangely, the clockwise rotation has entered my brain, and I have trouble making it switch the other way after a long time of insisting that it had to be counter-clockwise. It's like some ice-nine molecule got into my head.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Counterclockwise is my default (and I'm a gal), but I can make it switch pretty easily by looking away, turning back, and immediately focusing on a different part of the body.

If ice-nine got in your head you wouldn't be doing too much thinking.

-Shani

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shadow beneath her feet is inconsistent with a clockwise rotation. As her raised foot moves left to right, its shadow disappears. Were she spinning clockwise, her foot would move toward the light source during those frames, and the shadow would become more prominent. This single detail is probably the basis for dragging left/right brain into this. -kh

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent far too long looking at this frame by frame in order to figure out how to make it go counterclockwise. If I look at the shadow and cut her off at the shins I can get counterclockwise rotation to work (with the caveat that she's spinning oddly on her heel), but the three lines of her shoulders, hips, and breasts only stay consistent with each other if she's turning clockwise (her left breast has to change in size relative to the right one and location relative to her shoulder in order to make counterclockwise rotation possible).

10:42 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

KH/Feds:

Yah. See, I KIND of buy the shadow thing that KH talks about. But why assume that choosing to pay attention to the shadow entails a math/science/stereotypically male orientation?

Why isn't choosing to pay attention to the kinetics of the human form (or, as Fedsy points out, relative size and motion) equally science-y? No, instead, it gets lumped as "pays attention to the whole" and grouped in with things like the moon and menstruation (metaphorically speaking). It reminds me of those occasional "studies" that report that girls prefer playing with toys with round elements, while boys like trucks. What do they think "18-wheeler" refers to, fer chrissake? Triangles?

When we lazily confirm our existing stereotypes, especially in the face of logic, that's bad science. And the only current cure we have for bad science is better science. Hence my refusal to see things like left/right brain, Myers-Briggs, and astrology as harmless.

9:15 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Shani -

Way to call gratuitous use of allusion.
(Not that there's anything wrong with it.)

9:17 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Bill -

LaLaLaLaLaIcan'tHEARyou...

Kidding.

Career by committee? You mean the law school comment? Oh, you were serious?

But then what's Hairgate?

Tell you what, I'll put a proper response to the law school question in a separate entry, cued up (NOT queued up, dear readers; I remember vinyl) next, or next-ish. Hey, pay me to do this, and watch the customer service skyrocket.

9:21 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Ted -

But having government do less would violate Yeats' law. (Well, er; not VIOLATE it, as such, but run afoul of it, in that it lets the worst, full of all their conviction, disproportionately thrive.)

I'm not unsympathetic to libertarianism, but I don't find it to be compatible with the ev psych view of human nature (which is sort of like restating the thing about Yeats' law). And, too, another problem with the absence of centralized regulation is that people are, by and large, stupid.

-E.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stupidity argument is really the clincher. In high school, as I began to develop my own political views, I went through a roughly annual epiphany of what might work best. The pace quickened during senior year when we read all of those different political philosophers in rapid succession -- Hobbes, Locke, Montesquieu, Bentham, Mill, et al. -- but I finally settled on benign despotism as the optimal political organization ... as long as I get to be the benign despot. (Pronounced "dess pot," of course.)

The brightest people I know seem libertarians at heart but also recognize its inherent impracticality in a typical society.

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And, too, another problem with the absence of centralized regulation is that people are, by and large, stupid.

Funny, I would've said that that is the problem with centralized regulation.

-- Ted

8:03 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home