Career by committee redux
I think I've got it.
Vacations are dangerous for me; they tend to interfere with my comfortable state of denial. It took going to Italy to light the fire that let me say and do all the aversive things I had to in order to get out of India; it took a week of nature meditation to get serious about the next steps.
Upon returning from the bike trip, I organized the option set thusly: (1) a better job; (2) grad school; (3) freelancing. I then used all my powers of imagination to build specific multiple virtual lives, and considerable skills in criticism and worst-casing to knock them down. One still stands (sort of). We'll get to that.
Jobs-wise, I visited all the usual sites daily. Not necessarily to get a job (though I was in a couple of cases tempted), but to try to figure out what kind of job I might want to get. I kept a notebook of specific titles that looked interesting, hoping to find a pattern. I emailed with various people (thanks, various people!) about specific organizations and locations. I'd stop what I was doing at random points during my workday (easy enough...) to imagine what I might be doing at those same points in other possible job-worlds, and what might be wrong or tedious about those alternate universes.
In the end, there were a lot of almost-good-enough options. My interests are all over the map, making it hard to do targeted prep, and, frankly, any career that offers essentially unchanging duties over the next 20 years, without, say, the option of moving to Armenia in the near term, fills me with dread (even if I don't actually want to move to Armenia at the moment, which further complicates things).
I moved on to the academic option. Academia has two large pluses going for it: (1) when we were biking through Shepherdstown, it occurred to me that it would be an agreeable life to have a low-key academic job in an artsy and charming little town like that, and (2) when I tot up all the job factors that are important to me (independence of schedule and agenda; creativity; not having to wear a suit; non-managerial role; variety; travel opportunities; non-evilness), academia does very well. One huge honking negative: I tried it before, and it was a spectacular disaster. So, ok; that makes me reluctant to return to psychology. Instead, I thoroughly checked out epidemiology, medical anthropology, linguistics, etc., poring over journals and textbooks. Results: meh. Nothing was a perfect fit, and probably an uphill battle to get into any decent program. And jobs are scarce.
Which left freelancing. I joined mediabistro.com; I read through every single transcript of every class they offered; I read fora; I worked out a detailed plan for where I could cheaply live, how productive I would need to be, how and where I could get benefits, etc. And, yes: I do want to freelance.
But not exclusively. It'd be thrilling for the first year or two, to test my mettle, see if I could truly live by the pen, and so forth. But I couldn't envision a scenario -- or crunch the numbers in a way -- that didn't eventually end with taking at least a part-time fairly dead-end editorial job in addition.
So I decided to keep my current job.
Kidding.
My subconscious, still feeling guilty about being so (deceptively!) unproductive during vacation, heaved a big sigh, stood up, cleared its throat, and said, in a small, clear voice:
PhD. Communications.
And it's great! The field covers some of my top interests in psychology, linguistics, culture, media, politics, and even ethology. I already have a MA in a closely-allied area. And I enjoyed getting that degree, and would even have no problem asking my profs for references (they may not remember me, but the fact that they don't hate me and wouldn't have me on a blacklist speaks volumes, I'm telling you). Not only could I freelance, but it would even be career-relevant rather than a sideline. And I can build a relatively coherent application, giving me a shot at some good schools, and, hence, at jobs.
There are, of course, downsides. First, this is clearly a "three years of abject poverty followed by a lifetime of penury" track. But I've made my peace with that. Second, and still unresolved, there will of course be people -- possibly including myself -- who will sneer "sure, she's got a PhD. But it's in communications." That's an issue but not a deal-breaker.
There must be others. Please: knock it down. I need auxiliary negativity here, lest I make an expensive mistake.
Vacations are dangerous for me; they tend to interfere with my comfortable state of denial. It took going to Italy to light the fire that let me say and do all the aversive things I had to in order to get out of India; it took a week of nature meditation to get serious about the next steps.
Upon returning from the bike trip, I organized the option set thusly: (1) a better job; (2) grad school; (3) freelancing. I then used all my powers of imagination to build specific multiple virtual lives, and considerable skills in criticism and worst-casing to knock them down. One still stands (sort of). We'll get to that.
Jobs-wise, I visited all the usual sites daily. Not necessarily to get a job (though I was in a couple of cases tempted), but to try to figure out what kind of job I might want to get. I kept a notebook of specific titles that looked interesting, hoping to find a pattern. I emailed with various people (thanks, various people!) about specific organizations and locations. I'd stop what I was doing at random points during my workday (easy enough...) to imagine what I might be doing at those same points in other possible job-worlds, and what might be wrong or tedious about those alternate universes.
In the end, there were a lot of almost-good-enough options. My interests are all over the map, making it hard to do targeted prep, and, frankly, any career that offers essentially unchanging duties over the next 20 years, without, say, the option of moving to Armenia in the near term, fills me with dread (even if I don't actually want to move to Armenia at the moment, which further complicates things).
I moved on to the academic option. Academia has two large pluses going for it: (1) when we were biking through Shepherdstown, it occurred to me that it would be an agreeable life to have a low-key academic job in an artsy and charming little town like that, and (2) when I tot up all the job factors that are important to me (independence of schedule and agenda; creativity; not having to wear a suit; non-managerial role; variety; travel opportunities; non-evilness), academia does very well. One huge honking negative: I tried it before, and it was a spectacular disaster. So, ok; that makes me reluctant to return to psychology. Instead, I thoroughly checked out epidemiology, medical anthropology, linguistics, etc., poring over journals and textbooks. Results: meh. Nothing was a perfect fit, and probably an uphill battle to get into any decent program. And jobs are scarce.
Which left freelancing. I joined mediabistro.com; I read through every single transcript of every class they offered; I read fora; I worked out a detailed plan for where I could cheaply live, how productive I would need to be, how and where I could get benefits, etc. And, yes: I do want to freelance.
But not exclusively. It'd be thrilling for the first year or two, to test my mettle, see if I could truly live by the pen, and so forth. But I couldn't envision a scenario -- or crunch the numbers in a way -- that didn't eventually end with taking at least a part-time fairly dead-end editorial job in addition.
So I decided to keep my current job.
Kidding.
My subconscious, still feeling guilty about being so (deceptively!) unproductive during vacation, heaved a big sigh, stood up, cleared its throat, and said, in a small, clear voice:
PhD. Communications.
And it's great! The field covers some of my top interests in psychology, linguistics, culture, media, politics, and even ethology. I already have a MA in a closely-allied area. And I enjoyed getting that degree, and would even have no problem asking my profs for references (they may not remember me, but the fact that they don't hate me and wouldn't have me on a blacklist speaks volumes, I'm telling you). Not only could I freelance, but it would even be career-relevant rather than a sideline. And I can build a relatively coherent application, giving me a shot at some good schools, and, hence, at jobs.
There are, of course, downsides. First, this is clearly a "three years of abject poverty followed by a lifetime of penury" track. But I've made my peace with that. Second, and still unresolved, there will of course be people -- possibly including myself -- who will sneer "sure, she's got a PhD. But it's in communications." That's an issue but not a deal-breaker.
There must be others. Please: knock it down. I need auxiliary negativity here, lest I make an expensive mistake.
9 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:09 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 8:52 PM
-
Unknown said...
-
- 8:09 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 10:44 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 9:43 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 9:47 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:44 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:35 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:38 PM
Post a CommentHave you considered that your professors will all be people who got Ph.D.s in communications and your classmates will be people who aspire to Ph.D.s in communications? Or the prospect of teaching students who take communications classes? An undergrad who takes evolutionary psychology, at least there's someone with intellectual curiosity. -- Steve
Excellent point, Steve. To which I'd say: I'm only going to do this if I can get into a good school, so that eases my concerns about my profs and colleagues. Future students, once I'm actually teaching at Shepherdstown, yes. But teaching frosh any subject sucks -- my large intro psych classes were filled with airheads (m/f) who just wanted "to understand people better" and could never get past the concept that the empirical method and the opinion they just pulled out of their back pocket did not carry equal weight.
With any luck, I'd be teaching J-school students. There ought to be some committed and creative types among them. And, if not, I can always attempt to poison the minds of the next generation of ad execs.
Anyone else? This is very useful to me.
If you're going to get a degree in soft stuff, you could make the substance you're theorizing about be not-soft stuff - epidemiology, economics. That would give one a better chance of secure/relevant jobs. It will, of course, always beg the question of why, if you're so smart, you didn't just get the PhD in epidemiology or economics.
Is there anyone you can talk to about ageism in academic hiring?
Some of my profs who came to teaching in their later years started out as "lecturers" and seem to have stayed in that role. In general, I don't know whether they had/have Ph.D.'s, and I don't know what their aspirations were/are, so their status (as lecturers-in-perpetuity) may be a by-product of their own choices.
In the one instance where I can trace the teacher's status today, she came to my university as a lecturer, and did her time in that capacity for several years, and is now ... a "senior lecturer." She does have a Ph.D. from Columbia, but I can't tell from the dept's web site (1) when she got it -- i.e., before or after starting to teach at P., (2) whether her degree [or degree aspirations] made a difference in getting to teach at P. in the first place, and (3) whether she has wanted to stay as a lecturer.
But I could give you her name and contact details if you thought that talking to her about her own career path (I am fuzzy on the details myself, I admit) would help. I thought she was amazing!
I'm not sure name-dropping would make any difference, but there is an ever-so-slight chance that she would remember my name. She was my prof in her first year teaching at P., and a fellow student and I spearheaded a petition (I know, how idealistic) to get her status made permanent. Of course, I have no idea whether the petition made any difference.
Diana,
Good point. I think my plan would be to concentrate on the psych issues from within the comm world. In my previous academic life, working with interdisciplinary institutes, I'd always noticed how, say, a middling anthropologist with a so-so grasp of psych was so much more well-received by the psychologists than was a so-so psychologist with a middling grasp of anthro. Sort of the "good foreigner" syndrome, or something. Anyway, I have those so-so aptitudes. (Aim high, I always say.)
I hope it hasn't changed, but "I'm shooting for an interdisciplinary focus" was always good for covering a multitude of sins and avoiding a lot of awkward questions.
Italophile,
I don't doubt this would be true. But true in every possible field one might switch into and be chronologically mid-career among tyros, yes? The alternative is not to do any switching, and that isn't really an alternative. I cheer myself with two thoughts: (1) it should actually help with teaching -- classroom authority, etc. At least, when I was last in grad school, I noted that the nontraditional grads had fewer issues in the classroom. But they were also pretty tall. :-)
(2) I'm anticipating that the sexism will be so bad, I'll hardly notice the ageism.
Ok, that last one doesn't cheer me, per se...
I am laughing at the last comment -- sorry. (Sorry for being insensitive, and sorry that you're very likely to be right.)
I don't want to be contrary for its own sake, but I would argue that academia has its own rules about mid-life career switches. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think you would face nearly the same ageism-type issues if you were to make a switch into, say, the private sector in, say, a communications role. (I can see the press release now: Ms. E comes to Corporate America [or the non-profit world] with XX years of experience in promoting the greatness of our country to ... )
I'm not sure that academia cares about anything that one has accomplished outside of academia; that's my point. Hence, your step backwards is going to hurt the most in that context. But it is just a hunch.
If you are still taking votes, I'd like to offer a minority report, or maybe a responsible opposing point of view ('responsible' being a loose--really loose--term)...that will probably give me another five to life consecutive sentence in hypocrite hell: Yes, Legal Beagle School.
Now I KNOW someone (cough cough) has always said that doing anything like that would be a bad bad thang....But I would argue now is different from then....And my opinion has NOTHING to do with a certain person's innate talent at taking B.S. tests like the LSAT (worst test ever!).
Here's my thinking: Most morons go to law school in their early twenties, and they still don't know squat when they finish cf Randy Newman, 'Rednecks' (Went in dumb, come out dumb too). You, on the other hand, would go in with something on your resume--a lot on your resume, in fact.
Why would you go for a PhD in Communications? The only reason I could think to make such a move is that you already have a topic for your dissertation that is burning a hole in your head. I am reminded of the most useful 'how to' book I've ever read about creating a newsletter. Under the chapter of 'cost cutting,' the first question was 'Is what you have to say really worth saying? If not, then don't publish--save 100% of costs.'
If your point of changing from The Divine Ms. E to The Divine Dr. E is so you can devote the rest of your life working 20 hours a week, fostering the pyramid scheme known as 'Communications,' I think that disseration is going to give you trouble: You'll hate it, because you don't think what you write is worth writing, and then you'll hate forself for doing something that you do not feel is worth doing (I could be wrong, but I believe that memory serves in the proverbial galaxy & time, far away and long ago, respectively).
What law school will give you is the foundation to understand constitutional law, equal protection, how laws actually work, dual soverignty (oh whatever), state v. federal issues, and a great framework for political analysis. IF your goal is to be an academic, then go to the biggest name law school you can, and plan on using your first job to teach some damn thing like International Political Relations Law (or whatever).
All that said, the guy who taught my Constitutional Law class at Reed was not an attorney (and that con law class was better than the one I had at law school), and Nina Totenberg of NPR is not an attorney either--so it's possible (if not probable) to learn all the book learning at law school sans the actual school....
But if your option is PhD Communications....I really like the JD instead, with an emphasis on constitutional law or biomed ethics or executive branch doings on or whatever turns you on.
Don't get me wrong--I am leaving the practice of law because there were lots of things I did not like....but the three years I was in law school were three of the best in my life, because I loved the school (lord only knows, my personal life was a pile of crap at the time--but we digress).
So......the lone delegate from Bumpkinistan, the place where no one wants to go so I'm all over it like white on rice, casts one vote for University of Michigan (or Chicago or whatever big name school exists where you set up house) Law School! (insert sound of crickets chirping).
I remain:
A Hypocritical Vocal Minority.
Bill Abendroth nee Roth
Of course, now that I think on it, you could always do your dissertation on 'Slavery would not exist in Elizabethan England, nor would malicious use of crystal balls, if both were punishable by the death penalty.'
Just a suggestion.
I remain:
A burr in the side of all who know me.
Bill Abendroth nee Roth
<< Home