Oh, what the heck
Here's what K and I agree on:
(1) Snape will die. I mean, duh;
(2) Snape's death will somehow ensure the success of some kind of bargain in which Harry loses his abilities (legally or physically) to do magic, and perhaps also his memory, but lives;
(3) Harry's sacrifice will, in turn, allow Ron and Hermione to live full and magical lives, presumably with each other.
The specifics of points (2) and (3) are largely K's. I feel confident only in the weaker and more general versions:
(a) The death of Snape will show him, irrefutably, to be among the best of the Good Guys;
(b) Harry will make some sacrifice for his friends that echoes (not necessarily on as dramatic a scale) those made by his parents;
(c) There is a strong chance that Harry will, on the cusp of losing his childhood innocence, undergo some transformation that renders him more ordinary (cf. The Chronicles of Narnia and His Dark Materials).
I wish it weren't so; we need more kids' books that don't say "Well! Wasn't that fun. Now, cease to be special, and welcome to the world of adulthood; which, by the way, sucks."
(1) Snape will die. I mean, duh;
(2) Snape's death will somehow ensure the success of some kind of bargain in which Harry loses his abilities (legally or physically) to do magic, and perhaps also his memory, but lives;
(3) Harry's sacrifice will, in turn, allow Ron and Hermione to live full and magical lives, presumably with each other.
The specifics of points (2) and (3) are largely K's. I feel confident only in the weaker and more general versions:
(a) The death of Snape will show him, irrefutably, to be among the best of the Good Guys;
(b) Harry will make some sacrifice for his friends that echoes (not necessarily on as dramatic a scale) those made by his parents;
(c) There is a strong chance that Harry will, on the cusp of losing his childhood innocence, undergo some transformation that renders him more ordinary (cf. The Chronicles of Narnia and His Dark Materials).
I wish it weren't so; we need more kids' books that don't say "Well! Wasn't that fun. Now, cease to be special, and welcome to the world of adulthood; which, by the way, sucks."
3 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 3:21 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 8:42 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 9:50 AM
Post a CommentRemaining horcruxes:
Slytherin's locket
Hufflepuff's cup
Griffindor's sword (V. tampered with D's memory about this)
Ravenclaw's wand
Harry (not Nagini)
I figure the Slytherin locket from the UK edition cover looks too much like a coin to be a coincidence, so the hallows are the coin (pentacle), cup, sword, and wand (ie the tarot suits, which evolved from these objects of power).
There's a secret treasure chamber hidden at Hogwarts, which is why Voldemort wanted to get a teaching position there. Harry and his friends find it.
RAB's Regulus A. Black, but everyone knows that.
Harry uses his mirror to contact Sirius (or Regulus) beyond the veil. Maybe Harry goes there himself (perhaps around Halloween when the veil between the worlds of the living and the dead is at it's thinnest and most permeable).
We see more of Dumbledore, perhaps Harry sees him in his trip to the land of the dead, and we find out what really happened in Dumbledore's tampered memory of Voldemort's visit to ask for the defense against the dark arts position (at least V recounts what happens if we don't see a full flashback).
I guess Petunia's not going to do magic. Jo says Petunia's not secretly a witch or a squib and that she's not going to do magic. Too bad. I thought we would find out that she could do magic (to her family's great horror).
Snape dies. Hagrid dies. I hope Percy reconciles with the Weasleys before he dies. Lots of other people will die, perhaps Ginny. Harry has to die to defeat Voldemort, but comes back to life through the power of love or some such silliness. Probably has to give up his ability to do magic. Ron and Hermione survive.
Neville ultimately becomes a teacher (herbology or charms) at Hogwarts.
Peter repays his blood debt to Harry.
Snape didn't just have an unrequited crush on Lily, they were an item (before she ended up with James). Snape blames James (and himself) for her death. Snape's good(ish), obviously.
-Shani
Er...right. Some of us have obviously given this a little more thought than others.
(Was there a book I missed, or something?)
Further thoughts:
I saw the movie for the Order of the Phoenix last weekend and I noticed that the mirror Sirius gave Harry to contact him wasn't in the movie. Since JKR presumably had some input in approving the script, I suppose the mirror might not play the role I expected.
OK, so if Petunia doesn't do magic, I think Dudley will (to his great horror). Perhaps Petunia struck a deal with Dumbledore to "protect" Dudley from his magical heritage in exchange for looking after Harry.
I don't really think Snape and Lily were an item (although that would be extra fun if they were. I tried and tried to figure out a way for Snape to be Harry's dad, but Harry's resemblance to James is too often remarked upon for me to make that connection), but I do think Snape was a rival for her (at least in his own mind).
I think each of the founder's items that have been turned into horcruxes relate to an element (Slytherin: water, Griffindor: fire, Hufflepuff: earth, Ravenclaw: air) and that these elements will be reflected in the challenges Harry and friends have to overcome to get the items. For example, Hufflepuff's cup might be hidden deep in the earth (deep in the bowels of Gringotts perhaps).
Draco is redeemed.
Someone we thought was dead or disappeared was actually hidden by the Order of the Phoenix (Regulus or Ollivander) and will play an important role in finding one of the horcruxes.
I'm looking forward to seeing who was present at Lily and James' deaths. Was time travel involved?
-Shani
<< Home