Thursday, June 07, 2007

[Title redacted]...

This story's headline is clearly wrong. It should read: "Woman murdered for attempting to live like human being." The article also makes a past-tense reference to the Taliban being in control in Afghanistan. Right...if women are being slaughtered for participating in public life, it isn't terribly meaningful to quibble over who's now nominally in charge of the government.

I also found this first-person report of wearing the abaya to be interesting (h/t Steve) ...especially as the journalist's experiences of being treated as a woman, rather than as a person, and her reactions to that, are a somewhat larger-written version of my own time in India, reinforcing my view that the misogyny there differs in degree, but not kind, from the Middle East. And before we all go nuts in the comments pointing out that India's major religion differs in kind -- though not always degree -- from that of the Middle East: yes, I'm aware of that. Islam does not, unfortunately, have a monopoly on misogyny. Its cultural manifestations are remarkably similar in the two religions, but I'll have to save that for another post when I have more time. (Perhaps, "A Modest Proposal Regarding a Solution to Kashmir"?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home