Friday, June 01, 2007

The sweet, sweet lobster of vindication

First, the old joke:

An engineer, an experimental physicist, a theoretical physicist, and a philosopher are hiking through the hills of Scotland. Cresting the top of one hill, they see, on top of the next, a black sheep.
The engineer says: "What do you know, the sheep in Scotland are black."
"Well, some of the sheep in Scotland are black," replies the experimental physicist.
The theoretical physicist considers this for a moment and says "Well, at least one of the sheep in Scotland is black."
"Hmmm," the philosopher responds, "on one side, anyway."

Next, the short shameful confession:

Oh, sure, I laugh. But secretly? I'm thinking: "Well, duh. Go ahead and erroneously extrapolate away, you smug, induction-crazed bastards."

I know, I know: you'll be right 49,999,999 times out of 50,000,000. So fine, if that's good enough for you. No, really, I'm happy for you. Being able to settle like that, and all. But me? I'll just go on keeping my eyes firmly set on The Truth, thankewverymuch.

(And if having to spend several hours every evening worrying about whether the sun will come up tomorrow is wrong, I don't wanna be right.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post overall, but the ewe pun was particularly brilliant. But then again, I'm a big fan of mixing high and low styles of comedy.

1:23 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home