What I've just sent back to the library
We don't have a TV at the moment. Well, ok: I lie. We have four. One is a multisystem that I never realized until six weeks ago is only "multi-"system between Europe and Asia (PAL/SECAM)...ah, the shopping assumptions of the American-centric. One is an echt multisystem that has nevertheless always been more than a little picky about when it chooses to work. Two teeny little TVs came out of the lot of boxes that have been in storage since grad school. Of those, one was rapidly accidentally broken in the antenna region (one of those rare instances of my, rather than K's, clumsiness), leaving one that works...and, well, it's like about a 12" screen. And, since we don't have cable, all it does is pull in rather fuzzy versions of QVC and TeleMundo.
This is not at all a bad thing for me. If I never watch another hour of TV in my life, I will probably end up with a lifetime average of moderate viewing. I'm a total addict; I cannot indulge "just a little." TV viewing seems to satisfy too neatly my need for social interaction without requiring me to do things I don't like to do, such as dealing with actual people.
In the absence of TV, I've been devouring books. Messy 500-page novels are disappearing at the rate of two or three per week. It's probably not any healthier of a habit than my slack-jawed couch potato-dom, but it doesn't carry the same social opprobrium, and I don't have that same nauseated and self-reviling feeling at the end of a binge.
So what have I been reading? Why, funny you should ask.
Blue Latitudes, by Tony Horwitz
I didn't think I'd like a long tome that retraces Cook's voyages, because I'm not, strangely enough, really a travel book sort of person. Part of it is that I'm still mad at Paul Theroux for selling me on a Foreign Service that doesn't exist (and probably never did). I like Bryson, of course -- who doesn't? -- but, really, when you've read one...
So, this charming and thoroughly amiable summer read was a pleasant surprise, though your mileage may vary if you don't track developments in the South Pacific for a living.
Through the Children's Gate, by Adam Gopnik
Gopnik has, of late, replaced Ira Glass as my favorite infatuation, so I knew I'd be in for much fabulosity with this collection of essays. I still underestimated how much. This was one of those library books that was sitting around the apartment for ages, because I didn't want to finish the last ten pages and have to confront that fact that it was over. I know I'm going to end up buying this book just to loan it out to people. To be sure, to get the most out of it, you have to be someone who appreciates style as much as -- or possibly more than -- substance (but, then, would you be reading this blog if you weren't?).
Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by Marisha Pessl
Meh. It's a 400-page chick-lit novel with a 100-page overly-didactic mystery tacked on the end of it like an afterthought. I'm incensed, utterly incensed, that the author is being compared to Johnathan Safran Foer merely because they're in the same cohort. He's a tremendously gifted writer whose age is irrelevant by page 20; she's a paint-by-numbers hack whose furtive borrowings still don't save her from preciousness, and the novelty of whose age (and looks) is the only thing driving the engine of publicity. I did, actually, feel a little nauseated and self-reviling at the end of this one.
The Book of Dave, by Will Self
Intriguing premise: Alienated taxi driver writes and buries a screed, which is used 500 years later as the basis of the religion for what remains of England. Engaging sci-fi-ish details, and piercing, if uneven, wit. Also a fiercely angry and bitter crescendo of an ending, so don't say I didn't warn you. I didn't regret reading it, but I can't enthusiastically recommend it, especially to Americans who might have a hard time with the phonetic Cockney (I've heard plenty, and still found it a tough slog in places): it simply felt like a premature birth of a novel, with many sections that hadn't quite matured, and themes and arcs which could have been great, but were really just bits of primordial goo stuck encouragingly into places that made you think they were striving to evolve in the right direction.
The Time-Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
Y'know, I'm the most squeamish and tentative about this opinion, because the book kind of walked the Harlequin line, and I know, just absolutely know, that the movie version that's in production (about 100 pages in, and before knowing it was already being done, I told K, "this would make an incredible movie!") is going to play like Ghost...but, the fact remains: I absolutely loved this book. It just sucked me in. Past a certain point, I had to stop reading it in public, because I was just unabashedly blubbering as I went through it. I don't know...I think that, as a person (still) struggling with geographical displacement, I was wildly sympathetic to the idea of chronological displacement. Partially, I just thought that (with a few exceedingly glaring exceptions), it was tremendously well-written. But: it does require indulgence. It would be very easy to pick the book apart, and there is much to ridicule here. I found that I didn't want to, though, and for a number of reasons that I'm sure I'm going to be puzzling over for the next several months, I just emotionally connected with the story: directly, raptly, and with joy.
This is not at all a bad thing for me. If I never watch another hour of TV in my life, I will probably end up with a lifetime average of moderate viewing. I'm a total addict; I cannot indulge "just a little." TV viewing seems to satisfy too neatly my need for social interaction without requiring me to do things I don't like to do, such as dealing with actual people.
In the absence of TV, I've been devouring books. Messy 500-page novels are disappearing at the rate of two or three per week. It's probably not any healthier of a habit than my slack-jawed couch potato-dom, but it doesn't carry the same social opprobrium, and I don't have that same nauseated and self-reviling feeling at the end of a binge.
So what have I been reading? Why, funny you should ask.
Blue Latitudes, by Tony Horwitz
I didn't think I'd like a long tome that retraces Cook's voyages, because I'm not, strangely enough, really a travel book sort of person. Part of it is that I'm still mad at Paul Theroux for selling me on a Foreign Service that doesn't exist (and probably never did). I like Bryson, of course -- who doesn't? -- but, really, when you've read one...
So, this charming and thoroughly amiable summer read was a pleasant surprise, though your mileage may vary if you don't track developments in the South Pacific for a living.
Through the Children's Gate, by Adam Gopnik
Gopnik has, of late, replaced Ira Glass as my favorite infatuation, so I knew I'd be in for much fabulosity with this collection of essays. I still underestimated how much. This was one of those library books that was sitting around the apartment for ages, because I didn't want to finish the last ten pages and have to confront that fact that it was over. I know I'm going to end up buying this book just to loan it out to people. To be sure, to get the most out of it, you have to be someone who appreciates style as much as -- or possibly more than -- substance (but, then, would you be reading this blog if you weren't?).
Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by Marisha Pessl
Meh. It's a 400-page chick-lit novel with a 100-page overly-didactic mystery tacked on the end of it like an afterthought. I'm incensed, utterly incensed, that the author is being compared to Johnathan Safran Foer merely because they're in the same cohort. He's a tremendously gifted writer whose age is irrelevant by page 20; she's a paint-by-numbers hack whose furtive borrowings still don't save her from preciousness, and the novelty of whose age (and looks) is the only thing driving the engine of publicity. I did, actually, feel a little nauseated and self-reviling at the end of this one.
The Book of Dave, by Will Self
Intriguing premise: Alienated taxi driver writes and buries a screed, which is used 500 years later as the basis of the religion for what remains of England. Engaging sci-fi-ish details, and piercing, if uneven, wit. Also a fiercely angry and bitter crescendo of an ending, so don't say I didn't warn you. I didn't regret reading it, but I can't enthusiastically recommend it, especially to Americans who might have a hard time with the phonetic Cockney (I've heard plenty, and still found it a tough slog in places): it simply felt like a premature birth of a novel, with many sections that hadn't quite matured, and themes and arcs which could have been great, but were really just bits of primordial goo stuck encouragingly into places that made you think they were striving to evolve in the right direction.
The Time-Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
Y'know, I'm the most squeamish and tentative about this opinion, because the book kind of walked the Harlequin line, and I know, just absolutely know, that the movie version that's in production (about 100 pages in, and before knowing it was already being done, I told K, "this would make an incredible movie!") is going to play like Ghost...but, the fact remains: I absolutely loved this book. It just sucked me in. Past a certain point, I had to stop reading it in public, because I was just unabashedly blubbering as I went through it. I don't know...I think that, as a person (still) struggling with geographical displacement, I was wildly sympathetic to the idea of chronological displacement. Partially, I just thought that (with a few exceedingly glaring exceptions), it was tremendously well-written. But: it does require indulgence. It would be very easy to pick the book apart, and there is much to ridicule here. I found that I didn't want to, though, and for a number of reasons that I'm sure I'm going to be puzzling over for the next several months, I just emotionally connected with the story: directly, raptly, and with joy.
5 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 7:43 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 7:30 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 9:51 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 9:12 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:41 PM
Post a CommentYep. Gopnik good (although I haven't read that particular collection). Pessl overrated (and not quite as pretty as her publicity photos make her appear). Niffenegger surprisingly enjoyable. Since it looks like our literary tastes are compatible, don't bother with Sacred Games (not that you're in a hurry to start a subcontinental doorstopper anytime soon). -Shani
How about Infinite Jest? It's one of the Italian's favorites, and I am re-reading it currently, and enjoying most of it. (It is occasionally too clever for its own good.)
I had read about 600 pages while in Sri Lanka in late 2005, but with an 18-month hiatus, I felt as though I really owed it to myself to start anew at the start of our Umbria/Tuscany holiday two weeks ago. Am on p. 785 -- just 200 more to go.
I'm scared of Infinite Jest, to be perfectly honest. Perhaps I'll start with the essays, or something, and work up.
Umbria, gawd. You know, don't you, that if I didn't adore you, I'd have to hate you?
In that case, you _need_ to read DFW's A Supposedly Funny Thing I'll Never Do Again. One year it was the holiday present I gave to everyone. It's just that good. I wouldn't recommend starting with Infinite Jest, but you may find you have the will to do it after reading ASFTINDA. -Shani
Infinite Jest? When I read it, I became furious--because David Foster Wallace was the first writer YOUNGER than me who I really admired. Bastard. But I have to agree with Shani about 'A Supposedly Fun Thing that I'll Never Do Again.' Of all the collections of essays, that is the best. 'Brief Interviews with Hideous Men,' on the other hand, is merely hideous--and not in the good way.
While I really like Jest, I don't think Wallace tied the two--actually three--main stories together well enough. Just my personal opinion, but I think he'd have done a better job by splitting the book into two separte books: one about the tennis player and his father who made the movie that was 'too entertaining,' and the second about the Twelve Step AA Burglar in the halfway house--the two stories never really tied together, and just as I was really interested in one, Wallace flipped to the other. Kind of a pisser...Of course, all the end notes were REALLY a pisser.
I thought the part I call the 'third story'--the Organization of North American Nations or ONAN, and the 'spy' guy dressed as a woman investigating veterans of the Quebec Liberation Front, who have formed ruthless terrorist cells consisting of the 'winners' of train dodging and are now wheelchair-bound--was potentially the most interesting, and made me laugh...but just did not go anywhere. And the guy dressed as a woman got on my nerves....
But the twelve step burglar, the drunks, drug addicts, and halfway house scenes were superb...Wallace is one of the few people in the entertainment industry who can get the dope thing right--Not as good as Irvine Welsh in Trainspotting, but they're writing about different populations.
I'd be interested to know what you all think of Katherine Anne Porter's Ship of Fools. I loved the book--but was wholly stunned to find that I could enjoy a novel where *none* of the characters were even vaguely likeable or sympathetic. Note even Vivian Leigh! Just when I was starting to cotton to one character, Ms. Porter had that character do something stupid or repulsive.
Finally, in between watching Best of The Three Stooges, The Simpsons, and Arrested Development on DVD...I started reading Lydia Davis's new translation of Proust's Swan's Way. I like it--but that poor Proust. No wonder no one invited him to parties.....
Oh--Last time I went to Powells, I did NOT see a woman who looked like you...but I felt like writing anyway.
I remain,
Bill Abendroth
<< Home