Friday, September 29, 2006

Birds of India

Outside my office window is a fire escape (cum-aviary, and I do apologize for the image -- though it's accurate) that has never been cleaned. At least I think so, but it's hard to tell, because my window is covered by a rusted metal grate. Not the sort of safety grate that can be unlocked, of course, but a hulking piece of metal that's permanently bolted an inch from the glass, putting an impasto of bird crap and other brown streaks between me and the world.

The crows like it well enough, and there're several huge, scruffy, diseased-looking black-and-gray individuals who strut up and down the sill all day and are fascinated by the grate -- to them, I must look like a particularly dangerous animal in a well-constructed cage -- and who occasionally plunge their head and neck through the holes and rap on the glass, startling the hell out of me. They especially enjoy that, I think.

My gray cityscape view has been intensified lately by a monsoon that refuses to quit, blanketing the city in a very untropical and, frankly, London-like damp dreariness.

This morning, there were no crows on the staircase rail. There was, instead, a single wild green parrot. I love these birds, with their bold chartreuse bodies and graceful long tailfeathers, but they're incredibly shy (I think I remember reading that in Mumbai they're descended from escaped pets -- and they certainly act as though they're still being pursued by jilted owners), and they're usually only seen in flight, in the distance. I stood stock-still and watched this one crane its neck around and check out my office. Then it was joined by a small, sleek companion. Then another came, and another, until there were five bright-green perfect birds visible through my crusted window, on the gray-and-dirt staircase, under a dense and dismal sky.

They looked like they were a long way from Brazil, and they also looked like they knew it. They flew in a tight little sphere around each other; the rustling and the beating of jungle-colored wings mesmerizing against the backdrop of discolored concrete. Then they abruptly scattered.

That's all. No great moral here. Mumbai seems like a city of bright colors at first -- and only at first -- until the sari stains become more prominent than the saris, and the inescapable shades of crumble and rot become oppressive. The birds provided a moment of beauty this morning, but it was also the kind of moment that makes one realize just how rare, in this city, beauty is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been going through your daily accounts of your trip and frankly I've been taken aback by your completely unforgiving and pessimistic outlook of India. I have visited several times and traveled through both the north and the south on a backpacker's budget and I honestly can't get over how you are entirely missing the beauty apparent in so many places.

I think you realize that India is a third-world country, but you rant and rave like you are expecting every place to be like the Ritz-Carlton and you express your anger when it's not. Air-conditioning is a luxury that many third world countries cannot afford, and same is true about garbage removal. I've even been to hostels in Italy in the middle of mediteranean summer that didn't have air-conditioning. And yes, women may have stains on their saris, and children may beg for rupees, but do you fail entirely to see the beauty of the common man?

Before you go making such broad generalizations about such a large country, have you even experienced all there is to experience in India? Perhaps you have only been to the cities and have not experienced the warmth and kindness of villagers, the complete altruism that was bestowed upon me by farmers and merchants. Perhaps you haven't seen the centuries-old temples and cities, or listened to the colorful music, namely the sitar players and tubla players. Have you not seen the classical dancers in their beautiful costumes? Have you not been to a play or a concert? Can you look past the sludge of underdevelopment and see all there is to see and experience, or do you choose to stay blind-folded and focus on the lack of modern-day conveniences? I think you would enjoy the trip a lot more if you dropped your expectations from U.S. standards to third-world standards (which I think is just common sense). I don't see the point of traveling around the world if you expect every place to be like your home country--in that case, stay home and stop posting all your numerous and varied irritations.

6:40 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

"Have you not seen the classical dancers in their beautiful costumes? Have you not been to a play or a concert?"

Have you not read my blog?

1:46 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home