Wednesday, March 03, 2010

When your best just isn't good enough

The problem with the plan that goes "oh, I know: I'll just be myself in the interview"?

Sorta stings a bit when you don't get the job.

There was a distinct moment in the post-interview-but-really-still-an-interview dinner during which I thought to my exhausted just-talked-for-eight-hours self: turn it back on. Energy it up, and you could clinch this. And I responded to myself: Nah. We've seen too many red flags today. Let's not take heroic measures.

No, really, I swear; there was. Whether there should have been is quite the separate question. (Like that time I said to myself: Finish the PhD! And I replied: Nah. I *really* don't ever want to be a researcher, so let's just not create the possibility, ok? I mean, that was just plain dumb. Just because you engage in a bit of foresight in tying yourself to the mast doesn't make it good foresight.)

I'll recover. I don't know that I would've accepted, and I don't know that it would've been smart to have done so. I'm not exactly upset that I won't get to do the job duties; I'm just feeling a little personally rejected. And sorta bummed about not living in Portland. Still: when I'd posted the "Portland or Berlin?" question on my Facebook page, a very sage friend responded: "Berlin, and then Portland." Indeed.

Next up: we've had an offer accepted on a cute-ish and hopefully structurally sound house very close to our favorite Thai grocery store but, regrettably, 22 blocks from the nearest metro. Inspection is on Saturday. More news at the weekend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Condolences, but your red-flag radar is usually pretty good. (If I'd listened to it, I'd've taken that Nokia opportunity.) Also, my recollection is that you liked Portland much better when you weren't actually living there.

Is there a better Thai grocery store than Duangrat's?

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Esquiver said...

We're partial to the one attached to Bangkok 54. If we go ahead with this house, we'll be gambling on the five-year Del Ray-ification of the Pike. But that's not so farfetched: sleek new condos are popping up like mushrooms, and our first frou-frou winebar is about to open (and I plan to contribute heavily toward its success).

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Ryan S said...

There is a good argument that it's too early for Portland. Hard to believe you wouldn't get restless in a few years.

9:10 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home