I'm going to the happiest place on Earth
By which, of course, I mean the chocolate counter at KaDeWe.
It's a funny thing: in every exasperated announcement, over the last many years, of my plans to change careers, I've always included the qualifier "...unless, of course, they were to assign me job X in city Y."
So what do they do?
Naw, not quite. They made me assistant X -- to which, my first thought was: cool! More time to explore Y!
Ok; I was mistaken in my previous assessment: I am excited. And it hasn't yet sunk in. Actually, it shouldn't: it won't be official for a few more weeks, and many a slip has occurred between the acceptance and the inking of an offer.
Failing that? Hm. For the first time in maybe...ever?...my life might be mapped out for the next five years. So this is what stability, normality, and long-range planning feel like, huh? Not as bad as I was expecting.
It's a funny thing: in every exasperated announcement, over the last many years, of my plans to change careers, I've always included the qualifier "...unless, of course, they were to assign me job X in city Y."
So what do they do?
Naw, not quite. They made me assistant X -- to which, my first thought was: cool! More time to explore Y!
Ok; I was mistaken in my previous assessment: I am excited. And it hasn't yet sunk in. Actually, it shouldn't: it won't be official for a few more weeks, and many a slip has occurred between the acceptance and the inking of an offer.
Failing that? Hm. For the first time in maybe...ever?...my life might be mapped out for the next five years. So this is what stability, normality, and long-range planning feel like, huh? Not as bad as I was expecting.
6 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 4:39 PM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 2:54 PM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 2:56 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 11:01 PM
-
Italophile said...
-
- 4:45 PM
-
dijaw said...
-
- 8:54 PM
Post a CommentI have always said: it's high time you grew up and learned about stability!
-h
Now, go to Berlin and buy a flat. Cheapest real estate in western Europe. You will be thanking me in 2014. Can't wait to see you again. The Italian was super excited for both of you.
PS I just finished "Goodbye to Berlin" by Christopher Isherwood, which was quite hilarious. And you might read "Wall Jumper", too. I. Heart. Berlin. So. Much. So envious of you, I can't believe it.
Come and stay, both of you, as often as you'd like! Plus, I'm sure we can arrange some flat-swaps, too...
Anyway, you've still got the better and far more envy-making deal, what with the coveted Euro-passport, and all (to say nothing of the Italian).
;-)
I know. I really don't know how I got so lucky.
.....Last time I was in the KaDeWe was '82 when it was an epicurean bastion behind the iron curtain... I'd love to go back just for a couple of indulgent hours on the 6th and 7th floors...heavenly! ...Lucky you!
dj:)
<< Home