In other news
We're back in computer-land, with a Mac mini that's working just fine and one of those weird new monitors that has an aspect ratio great for watching videos and not so great for spending hours working with text or websurfing, but we're adjusting. The Mac mini, by the way, was in partial rebellion against the gloss-only screens on the new iMacs. Boo, glossy screens. Real rebellion would've meant going the PC route, but I wanted to punish them, not me.
And we aren't yet homeowners. A very personable and experienced home inspector spent a few hours walking us through the various house systems lurking beneath what I've come to think of as the Potemkin renovation, and when my mental running total exceeded a certain figure -- barely an hour into the process -- I quietly said goodbye to the house. Which was upsetting for a few days -- the place was really growing on me -- but, I now feel, the right call. We'll continue looking, but, sorta as one would with a pregnancy, I think we'll refrain from making any announcements this time until it's blindingly clear that something ineluctable is in the pipeline.
And continuing on that metaphor...
Oh, relax. I'm not saying what you think I'm about to say.
But, oddly enough, it did occur to me to run through the math of time left in the U.S., age and future plans, etc., etc., and I've come to the conclusion that we have about two and a half months left to decide whether to ever attempt to combine our genetic material. In a manifested way, I mean.
Now, don't get me wrong: there've been no recent major policy shifts here. It's just that I think it's important to make an active decision rather than have a decision circumstantially foisted upon us. So I've ordered a bunch of books on the topic. That should take care of it, right?
And we aren't yet homeowners. A very personable and experienced home inspector spent a few hours walking us through the various house systems lurking beneath what I've come to think of as the Potemkin renovation, and when my mental running total exceeded a certain figure -- barely an hour into the process -- I quietly said goodbye to the house. Which was upsetting for a few days -- the place was really growing on me -- but, I now feel, the right call. We'll continue looking, but, sorta as one would with a pregnancy, I think we'll refrain from making any announcements this time until it's blindingly clear that something ineluctable is in the pipeline.
And continuing on that metaphor...
Oh, relax. I'm not saying what you think I'm about to say.
But, oddly enough, it did occur to me to run through the math of time left in the U.S., age and future plans, etc., etc., and I've come to the conclusion that we have about two and a half months left to decide whether to ever attempt to combine our genetic material. In a manifested way, I mean.
Now, don't get me wrong: there've been no recent major policy shifts here. It's just that I think it's important to make an active decision rather than have a decision circumstantially foisted upon us. So I've ordered a bunch of books on the topic. That should take care of it, right?
2 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:31 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 12:04 AM
Post a Commenthmm, you mean 'how to' books?
Ahem. 'Whether to' books.
<< Home