Now we are sick
That's me, trying to read Milne with this !#$% stuffed-up nose.
This was the sort of day in which you have to conclude that 2009 is just a mean, spiteful year that's trying to get its last jabs in. This was the sort of day for which I really did try to just hide in bed, until K tempted me out with H&H bagels (accidentally frozen, thawed, refrozen, rethawed, because the common-law in-laws we were visiting didn't have room in their freezer for them and they remained in the car trunk for several days, but you know what? Still miles above Harris Teeter.).
So let's review: big, ugly arguments with K last week; the first for us in a gratifyingly long time. To our credit, we stepped up to, but not into, the precipice before agreeing on the shape of the ensuing narrative ("I'll move out...you'll have a fling...I'll be angry until I counter-fling...the late-night phone calls will start...the calls will lengthen...I'll move back in...you know what? Let's just not do this." [E agrees, though not until after a quick assessment of the hedonic value of the most likely fling-ees.]). Peace is restored, but at the cost of an unsettling sort of mutual wariness.
Next, we survive an overlong car trip to Long Island, where three hyperactive pre-teens summarily decide I am Yoko Ono to their relationship with their beloved Uncle K. That notwithstanding, K gets dragged off by said munchkins from the moment we open the door, abandoning me for the duration among the assembled adults to make my way, unguided, through the minefield of complex and apparently longstanding family dramas over the course of several days. (Upside: I am inspired to begin writing again...)
Even longer car ride home, during which I abruptly -- like someone flicking a switch -- go from perfect physical health to florid mucousity.
Last night, my beloved multi-functional iMac dies. We don't panic, because it does sometimes crash and then remain stubbornly quiescent for a period never exceeding six hours.
This morning: I groggily reach for my iPhone (like a [insert your own addict metaphor here]; I don't try to claim otherwise). There is a blast email from an also-ran ex, of the subset for whom but the narrowest twist of circumstance separates him from being who I wake up next to today. The email announces the birth of his second child. Who does not look like a newborn at all, but looks fully-formed, keen-eyed, and deeply complex. You can already see in his face the person he's going to become, and his own pedigree, the interesting-ness of his parents, writes his college application essays -- at a day old, a Harvard admission is his to lose. At the bottom of the email, I notice in the signature block that said ex has achieved a significant work promotion. In a field I really respect.
This isn't, strictly speaking, Erfolgtraurigkeit. I don't actually feel pain over his happiness, though it does invite an uncomfortable comparison with the state of my own life.
It was at this point that K leaped out of bed and to the study to re-try the computer. I strained to hear the reassuring chime, and heard only silence. It was also at this point that I attempted to burrow back under the covers with the intent of staying for a couple of days.
And have I mentioned that I'm buying a house? Which is going under contract (with various contingencies) to me at noon tomorrow? And that I understand just enough of the process to have it leap out at me when all the various players involved appear to be about to try to gratuitously extract some extra cash, but not well enough to know what to do about it? And that I suffer from moderate social anxiety and find few things more hellish than having to do these kinds of transactions with multiple players? And that I'm hesitant to ask K to play a larger role in the process lest the above-mentioned mutual wariness trigger a "yes, but should we really be buying a house right now at all?" conversation that will eventually and inevitably be resolved in the affirmative but that will cause us to lose the house in the meanwhile?
Achoo.
This was the sort of day in which you have to conclude that 2009 is just a mean, spiteful year that's trying to get its last jabs in. This was the sort of day for which I really did try to just hide in bed, until K tempted me out with H&H bagels (accidentally frozen, thawed, refrozen, rethawed, because the common-law in-laws we were visiting didn't have room in their freezer for them and they remained in the car trunk for several days, but you know what? Still miles above Harris Teeter.).
So let's review: big, ugly arguments with K last week; the first for us in a gratifyingly long time. To our credit, we stepped up to, but not into, the precipice before agreeing on the shape of the ensuing narrative ("I'll move out...you'll have a fling...I'll be angry until I counter-fling...the late-night phone calls will start...the calls will lengthen...I'll move back in...you know what? Let's just not do this." [E agrees, though not until after a quick assessment of the hedonic value of the most likely fling-ees.]). Peace is restored, but at the cost of an unsettling sort of mutual wariness.
Next, we survive an overlong car trip to Long Island, where three hyperactive pre-teens summarily decide I am Yoko Ono to their relationship with their beloved Uncle K. That notwithstanding, K gets dragged off by said munchkins from the moment we open the door, abandoning me for the duration among the assembled adults to make my way, unguided, through the minefield of complex and apparently longstanding family dramas over the course of several days. (Upside: I am inspired to begin writing again...)
Even longer car ride home, during which I abruptly -- like someone flicking a switch -- go from perfect physical health to florid mucousity.
Last night, my beloved multi-functional iMac dies. We don't panic, because it does sometimes crash and then remain stubbornly quiescent for a period never exceeding six hours.
This morning: I groggily reach for my iPhone (like a [insert your own addict metaphor here]; I don't try to claim otherwise). There is a blast email from an also-ran ex, of the subset for whom but the narrowest twist of circumstance separates him from being who I wake up next to today. The email announces the birth of his second child. Who does not look like a newborn at all, but looks fully-formed, keen-eyed, and deeply complex. You can already see in his face the person he's going to become, and his own pedigree, the interesting-ness of his parents, writes his college application essays -- at a day old, a Harvard admission is his to lose. At the bottom of the email, I notice in the signature block that said ex has achieved a significant work promotion. In a field I really respect.
This isn't, strictly speaking, Erfolgtraurigkeit. I don't actually feel pain over his happiness, though it does invite an uncomfortable comparison with the state of my own life.
It was at this point that K leaped out of bed and to the study to re-try the computer. I strained to hear the reassuring chime, and heard only silence. It was also at this point that I attempted to burrow back under the covers with the intent of staying for a couple of days.
And have I mentioned that I'm buying a house? Which is going under contract (with various contingencies) to me at noon tomorrow? And that I understand just enough of the process to have it leap out at me when all the various players involved appear to be about to try to gratuitously extract some extra cash, but not well enough to know what to do about it? And that I suffer from moderate social anxiety and find few things more hellish than having to do these kinds of transactions with multiple players? And that I'm hesitant to ask K to play a larger role in the process lest the above-mentioned mutual wariness trigger a "yes, but should we really be buying a house right now at all?" conversation that will eventually and inevitably be resolved in the affirmative but that will cause us to lose the house in the meanwhile?
Achoo.
6 Comments:
-
Italophile said...
-
- 4:59 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 12:21 PM
-
Ryan S said...
-
- 4:21 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 1:18 PM
-
Ted said...
-
- 7:32 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 11:19 PM
Post a CommentDon't worry so much about the house. We've just bought a place, and the transaction closed on the 21st. It is the largest, scariest amount of money I have ever spent on anything, and I am now literally living from paycheck to paycheck for a few months.
I mention this because I now know that I left thousands and thousands of dollars (well, pounds) "on the table", which kept me awake Sunday night for about 4 hours. I had always suspected this, but to find out for sure was a bit painful. I have since attempted to be rational, and to accept the fact that a buyer's negotiating position is hamstrung by "information asymmetry" (a key market failure that is a virtual constant in our system, but try telling that to the a55ho1es who think themselves as intellectuals for insisting that we would somehow have free markets if only government would get out of the way).
Anyway, while information asymmetry pains you now that you're on the wrong end of it as a buyer, it will almost certainly work in your favor when you are the seller. Of course, I didn't have this experience with my Philadelphia house, but that was sold under duress for all the wrong reasons. ("I am done with this city and never want to return.") In Seattle, we sold for 5% above our listing price strictly because information-starved buyers "overbid" for the property.
Good for you, by the way, for not waiving the contingencies.
As an aside, I loved this entry's prose, although I am embarrassed to admit that it took me a bit to work through one of your sentences.
I always suspected you had a bit of Yoko in you.....somewhere deep down....I can almost hear you singing (but really....she never sang a note in her life) "No Bed for Beatle John"
And anyway, this whole illness fits perfectly with your role (temporary) as an ailing Yoko. If people ask you what you're doing, just say you're lying down for Bed Peace.
Just don't start screeching K's name over and over, and you should recover just fine.
-h
Gore Vidal: Whenever a friend succeeds, a part of me dies.
One of my favorite quotes, since the melodrama accentuates the self-mocking. Dark thoughts shouldn't be sources of shame but tolerant amusement.
Which reminds me of one of my other favorite quotes, from Dennis Potter, I think: One should look upon one's youth with a sort of tender contempt.
Italo -
See? That's the thing: I *agonize* about the house and seek public input at each minor turn, and have the whole thing become a referendum on my relationship and my vocational plans, and you? You just go out and quietly buy one.
Geez. Congrats. I am SO freaking jealous. "Owning a house in the UK" is one of those life goals for which I'm really not getting much traction. We listen to a LOT of BBC internet radio in this household, and every time the newscasters air the public letters (done by professional actors, natch), and someone complains of something as "obfuscating tosh," K and I just look at each other and both want to move back to the UK so badly that it hurts -- and that's even before mentally comparing these letters to the illiteracies that show up on CNN. Which, in turn, ought to be embarrassed to call itself news, next to the BBC. But I digress.
Where did you buy? And how did you discover "the real facts" of the pricing (which I'd have thought didn't truly exist)? In any event, rest easier knowing that I'd gladly overpay by double what you did for the privilege of living in a place with a quantifiably higher average verbal IQ score. It just makes such a difference throughout so many areas of the society.
And speaking of which, you needn't cloak prose criticism in a sh!t sandwich. Having worked as a journalist, I don't have the layperson's concept of writing as akin to an arm or a leg -- more like toenails or split ends. There was indeed a sentence that had a collision of prepositions, and which I got three-quarters into before realizing I didn't know how to get out (of). But I'm toying with the idea that I might blog more if I spent less time per entry, so I went with it.
Anyway, congrats again. You're living my dream (grr).
-E.
White House commits your favorite misspelling on page 3.
You know, if you point to the thing that barks and call it a c-a-t, you haven't actually committed a *misspelling.*
<< Home