Not much; what's new with you?
I haven't been posting for a week; I feel like we haven't really caught-up.
(Speaking of catching up, I'll finish writing about the Amritsar trip...eventually...but it'll be backdated.)
My boss left post. I'm now entirely in charge ofpropaganda my division in Western India for the next month. Be very afraid.
In practical terms, it (hopefully) shouldn't mean that much. I have more visa whiners to deal with, and I'm entirely less patient than my boss was, so that's probably not a good thing.
(random caller: "I need your help getting a visa."
Me: "Ok, here's the consular website which describes how you can make your appointment."
RC: "Er...no, I need your help getting a visa."
Me: "This is how 99.5% of applicants do it. Is there any particular reason you're rare?"
RC: "You see, I was refused a visa before."
Me: "Ah. Not so much rare. But any idea why?"
RC: "Well, I think it's because I'm a doctor."
Me: "Yes, I'm sure that's it. We routinely turn away wealthy professionals. It's part of the 'huddled masses' directive.")
It also means more interminable after-hours "official" events and more direct contact with the Washington bureaucracy, so that might mean both less time to write and more absurdity to report, but we'll see.
Let's see. What else...
Oh, we had afire thermal event. While I was still at work, K reset the breaker on a stopped air-conditioner and switched it back on. The outside part of it, on a small balcony, promptly burst into flames. K put it out with a fire extinguisher, but the apartment smelled like smoke for a couple days. It was a nice change from the exhaust fumes.
There's been a rash of fires lately -- a bit counterintuitive for the rainy season, but apparently the moisture is shorting out a lot of wiring. It's hard to keep insulation on Indian wiring, if it was even there in the first place, as sugar ants will happily eat warm plastic. I learned that, too, in Thailand, while uncomprehendingly watching ants bore out my cordless phone from the inside over a period of months, not figuring it out until it became a useless shell.
All fires, no matter how minor, have to be reported in cable format to Washington, which makes for some pretty damn entertaining reading, especially with everything rendered in flat cable-ese. For instance, it was through this format that I learned that a colleague's coffeemaker spontaneously combusted and was put out by his maid, who was delayed in noticing the fire because she was "having a bath in the master bathroom, some distance away." That isn't a normal part of an Indian maid's routine, and might explain why we haven't seen said colleague's wife around much lately.
I also learned that after the smoke detector went off in another division recently, employees noticed the smoke was coming from the smoke alarm itself, which then went on to ignite. I've mentioned elsewhere the hardships that face the person in charge of facilities here. I continue to admire the new person in the job, especially because he continues to be so cheerful. If you're in charge of maintenance and the like and the smoke detector catches fire...well, that's about the time you're entirely justified in throwing in the towel and admitting defeat, I think.
(Speaking of catching up, I'll finish writing about the Amritsar trip...eventually...but it'll be backdated.)
My boss left post. I'm now entirely in charge of
In practical terms, it (hopefully) shouldn't mean that much. I have more visa whiners to deal with, and I'm entirely less patient than my boss was, so that's probably not a good thing.
(random caller: "I need your help getting a visa."
Me: "Ok, here's the consular website which describes how you can make your appointment."
RC: "Er...no, I need your help getting a visa."
Me: "This is how 99.5% of applicants do it. Is there any particular reason you're rare?"
RC: "You see, I was refused a visa before."
Me: "Ah. Not so much rare. But any idea why?"
RC: "Well, I think it's because I'm a doctor."
Me: "Yes, I'm sure that's it. We routinely turn away wealthy professionals. It's part of the 'huddled masses' directive.")
It also means more interminable after-hours "official" events and more direct contact with the Washington bureaucracy, so that might mean both less time to write and more absurdity to report, but we'll see.
Let's see. What else...
Oh, we had a
There's been a rash of fires lately -- a bit counterintuitive for the rainy season, but apparently the moisture is shorting out a lot of wiring. It's hard to keep insulation on Indian wiring, if it was even there in the first place, as sugar ants will happily eat warm plastic. I learned that, too, in Thailand, while uncomprehendingly watching ants bore out my cordless phone from the inside over a period of months, not figuring it out until it became a useless shell.
All fires, no matter how minor, have to be reported in cable format to Washington, which makes for some pretty damn entertaining reading, especially with everything rendered in flat cable-ese. For instance, it was through this format that I learned that a colleague's coffeemaker spontaneously combusted and was put out by his maid, who was delayed in noticing the fire because she was "having a bath in the master bathroom, some distance away." That isn't a normal part of an Indian maid's routine, and might explain why we haven't seen said colleague's wife around much lately.
I also learned that after the smoke detector went off in another division recently, employees noticed the smoke was coming from the smoke alarm itself, which then went on to ignite. I've mentioned elsewhere the hardships that face the person in charge of facilities here. I continue to admire the new person in the job, especially because he continues to be so cheerful. If you're in charge of maintenance and the like and the smoke detector catches fire...well, that's about the time you're entirely justified in throwing in the towel and admitting defeat, I think.
6 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 9:56 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 12:56 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 1:27 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 1:42 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:32 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 9:47 AM
Post a Commentyour titular link
to 18 by 18 gif
puzzles readership
minimalism
abstract expressionism
post modernism
is it? we are the
children of concrete and steel
sorry, i'll stop now
Hey? Hmm? What's that, now? Another random link appearing in some unusual browser? Crap. Do elaborate.
here's the culprit (brangles replaced with brackets):
[a href="http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif" title="external link"]
Not much; what's new with you?
[/a]
looks like a link to that little .gif accidentally got wrapped around
this entry's title. easily fixed, just remove the [a] and [/a] lines.
Et voila. Thanks. You wouldn't know how to get rid of that little fragment of a border that appears just above the "previous posts" title, would you (again, only in Firefox)?
at line 904, you've got:
[div id="sidebar"][div id="sidebar2"]
it looks like "sidebar" is introducing that little border (probably from a style sheet definition). delete that 1st div tag, and one of the corresponding /div tags @1014 and you're set. or fix-up the style sheet -- although two div tags shouldn't be necessary.
let's do these in email from now on, so great entries like this one don't have their comment areas bogged down by nerdiness. wire-stripping ants and master-bathing maidstresses deserve better. ^^ -kh
The proper legalese term for the f word is "thermal event". It means anything from smoke to an actual conflagration Also, things do not explode, they self-disassemble - perhaps violently but we don't rush to make judgements. -v
<< Home