Thursday, July 20, 2006

I'm baa-aack...

Welcome, new and returning readers!

Thank you for bearing with me as I muddle towards a balance between a mad craving for readership and a grudging acknowledgement that I should probably try to keep my job. Sorta. For now.

If you're just joining us for the first time, here's what you need to know: Until a week ago, this blog was on livejournal. And then I was inadvertently "outed," shut it all down, packed it all up, and moved over here.

As the "read me/don't look at me" issues are merrily traipsing around terribly murky ground, I offer the following Q&A as an informal sort of "terms of use":

Q: I know who you are. Can I refer to you by name?
A: No.

Q: Not even an initial?
A: I'd prefer if you didn't.

Q: Isn't that going to be a bit awkward?
A: Look, feel free to make up a name, ok? Or use "E.", for "esquiver." That'd work, wouldn't it?

Q: I suppose so.
A: You're being derivative. Get on with it.

Q: Can I tell my friends about your blog?
A: Unless they're Glenn Reynolds, sure. Actually, I'd appreciate it if you didn't send the URL to anyone who might have another email address ending in ".gov," unless you really, really know They're Cool.

Q: Can I link to your blog?
A: If it's from your personal webpage and you're pretty certain you don't have a wide following among bureaucrats, yes.

Q: Isn't blogspot more public than livejournal, and wasn't this whole ridiculous episode really just an excuse to get past an irrational reluctance to abandon sunk costs?
A: Shaddup, you certain individual, or I'll reveal you only recently came into compliance with the "one-half-plus-seven" dating rule.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. It's incredibly fortunate for me that you've moved to blogspot as livejournal seems to have attracted the attention of the content filterers.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee yi yay!

I think that person was always in compliance with the rule, it's just that usually I don't have to check my computations to make sure. -Shani

12:38 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Yay. Welcome back, Anglophile and Shani.

And Shani: Mmm, I'm not sure. Can't remember whether you're allowed to count months, or have to round.

12:41 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Um, not that there's anything wrong with that.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. E:

I seemingly inadvertantly stumbled across your blog, and found the information listed to be both interesting and insightful. Unfortunately, the writing style leaves much to be desired. Have you tried writing much before blogging took the place of hula hoops and yo-yos? I ask for information purposes only.

As for you informative "Q&A," I found your "terms of use" to be most helpful, particularly the later questions. You appear to be one of those people, while interesting and charming (at least on a superficial level), you are no doubt a burr in the sides of all who actually know you--granted, just an assumption on my part, but I believe it to be a fair assumption.

Be that as it may, keep up the good work, and I look forward to continued updates and trying to decipher the actual meaning of your postings, cleverly hidden in your own tortured prose style.

I remain,

Bill Droth

PS I know what you are going so say: "Shaddup." I would say more, but I am afraid you would start making up stuff about my own rules of dating...

4:08 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Bill,

Don't let the door hit you on your cyberass on the way out.

10:35 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home