Sticking with the Scottish theme...
My plans have gone agley. They do that aft.
I know, I know, I know that one entry does not an "onslaught" make.
What happened? Well, some urgent home repair (I've scribbled out an entry entitled "My bathroom, a death-trap no longer," but haven't had time to type it up), plus K's been sick; then there's the deadline for the Rome job, there were a couple of evening work functions, and now I have to leave for Aurangabad at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Oh, and the Housing Board, after denying our bid to move out of our little cave o' roadfumes, suddenly asked if we wanted to move into the housing compound, so we had to go look at that and discuss. And discuss. And we're going on vacation! I think. K doesn't do vacation well or easily, which has been another time-suck: arguing with K. Traditionally, he vacillates until the last possible moment, we break up two or three times, and then we go on the trip and everything's fine. This time, compounding his usual agoraphobia, he really is sick.
So, maybe we're going away Friday, and maybe I'll have the chance to write again before that. If not, the plan is to fly to Delhi, take the overnight train to Dehra Doon, then bus to Rishikesh. We'll spend a day or two in Rishikesh, then bus to Haridwar, then bus to Mussoorie. From Mussoorie, we hope to take a bus to Chandigarh, except we haven't been able to confirm that one exists. From there, we take an early train to Kalka, switch to the narrow-gauge ("toy") train, and ascend to Shimla, where we'll spend a couple of days before returning (by train) to Delhi and flying home.
I'll note that neither of us particularly wanted to visit Uttaranchal state, but I was heavily constrained in my choice of leave dates, and the Himalayan foothills looked to be the only place (other than Mumbai) that it's not pouring, at the moment, plus all the other usual balances one has to strike (train service disruption, communal violence, etc), which I've detailed in a previous post. Plus, maybe we'll spot the Giant Tree Squirrel.
I know, I know, I know that one entry does not an "onslaught" make.
What happened? Well, some urgent home repair (I've scribbled out an entry entitled "My bathroom, a death-trap no longer," but haven't had time to type it up), plus K's been sick; then there's the deadline for the Rome job, there were a couple of evening work functions, and now I have to leave for Aurangabad at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Oh, and the Housing Board, after denying our bid to move out of our little cave o' roadfumes, suddenly asked if we wanted to move into the housing compound, so we had to go look at that and discuss. And discuss. And we're going on vacation! I think. K doesn't do vacation well or easily, which has been another time-suck: arguing with K. Traditionally, he vacillates until the last possible moment, we break up two or three times, and then we go on the trip and everything's fine. This time, compounding his usual agoraphobia, he really is sick.
So, maybe we're going away Friday, and maybe I'll have the chance to write again before that. If not, the plan is to fly to Delhi, take the overnight train to Dehra Doon, then bus to Rishikesh. We'll spend a day or two in Rishikesh, then bus to Haridwar, then bus to Mussoorie. From Mussoorie, we hope to take a bus to Chandigarh, except we haven't been able to confirm that one exists. From there, we take an early train to Kalka, switch to the narrow-gauge ("toy") train, and ascend to Shimla, where we'll spend a couple of days before returning (by train) to Delhi and flying home.
I'll note that neither of us particularly wanted to visit Uttaranchal state, but I was heavily constrained in my choice of leave dates, and the Himalayan foothills looked to be the only place (other than Mumbai) that it's not pouring, at the moment, plus all the other usual balances one has to strike (train service disruption, communal violence, etc), which I've detailed in a previous post. Plus, maybe we'll spot the Giant Tree Squirrel.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment<< Home