Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Or maybe Diplomatz?

You know, I was serious about my earlier comment about what a sad hash Fox made of The American Embassy: DoS is such a mother lode of material (how often, indeed, I’ve spontaneously remarked “DoS is such a mother!”), it’s hard to believe they messed it up. The flaw, of course, is that they played it for a romantic drama, whereas – trust me – this material has “farce” written all over it.

At the (slight) risk of giving away an idea, I’m thinking one part Scrubs to one part Yes, Minister, with a dash of Hitchhiker’s thrown in.

K and I would like to take a crack at writing a pilot. The title, though, has us stumped. K rightly made fun of me for the cornball Foreign Affairs. However, we have a real disagreement over – and bear in mind, this show would liberally sample pop culture – Diplomacy!

Personally, I think Diplomacy! is hilarious. Because, y’know, “diplomacy” is not a word that would ordinarily ever take an exclamation point. So doing so, I think, quotes the entire farcical tradition of the misplaced exclamation point, from Emergency! (the apparently non-satirical source), through to updated musicals (Oliver!) – and, more importantly, a whole string of jokes about updating musicals by adding an exclamation point – to the reigning champs, Airplane!

K – who has the slight edge of having actually written for TV shows – thinks I’m certifiable.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tower of Babble???

9:45 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

I'm going to choose to believe that's a title suggestion, and not a epithet about the blog...

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herman's Head!

9:45 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Heh.
Yeah, K and I have been having a lot of discussions that go like this:
K: "C'mon, I've done this before!"
Me: "Yeah, but..." (thinking: I won't say it. Best not say it.)

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "States of Head"?

9:46 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Mmmm...given the vaguely pornographic possible connotations, I'm going to say that's giving too much material to the possibly snarky critics (just thinking of the sorts of really nasty and petty reviews *I'd* enjoy writing). But thanks for playing.

9:47 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home